Photo

Inactive Cache Owners

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Cache Repair Kit (28 member(s) have cast votes)

What repair supplies are in your Bag?

1. Repair? That's not my Job! (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Minimum Supplies - a zip bag and maybe an extra log (16 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. Fully Stocked - baggies galore, logs sheets, 3 different camo tape (10 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jhuoni

jhuoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlvin, TX

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Does GC.com ever purge inactive members? I just looked at the caches in a 10 mile radius around me, and most of them are have been marked NM/NA. The CO's for some of these haven't logged in for over a year.

Can someone tell me how a cache can survive if the OWNER isn't taking care of it? (Rhitorical Question) I have refurbished several of these myself. Do we do it for the love of the game?

Why is it 100 people will say: "Log wet, couldn't sign, bla-bla-bla" but no one will replace the log? Don't we all know that caches get wet and carry extra bags and logs? Don't we all (try) to check the info on caches before we head out?

Last item and then I'll get off the soap box...

If a cacher only has two finds, why do they think they need to put out ten caches? I've seen this comment on GC.com forums many times, but I'm just in the mood to whine.

Going to put a poll with this one. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

What I find the saddest of all is active cachers who will not maintain their caches - OR respond to email, asking about said caches. Doesn't it bother them at all to have this reputation of owning crappy caches? Why not disable or archive them and be done with the responsibility of maintaining them? When they go out looking for caches or planning a route, don't they consider the many DNF's along a route or notes about caches needing maintenance and wonder the same thing? Scratchin' my haid.
  • pindroppers74 and Huff-Suter like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

I try to help out with maintenance on others caches when I can, carrying spare logs and baggies in my bag. I even carry spare bison tube and pill fob O-rings in my truck. But if the cache container is junk and you know a replacement log will just get wet next time it rains, what's the point? Many times I just feel like, "If the cache owner doesn't care about their cache, why should I?"

Posting my "Longest Since Last Find" list, I see more than my share of these caches (and cachers). There have been times in the past where I see enthusiastic new cachers jump in with both feet and start placing tons of caches. My first thought is, "Gosh, I hope they're still around in 3-4 years when all these caches need maintenance". Unfortunately, more times than not, they aren't. There are tons of neglected caches in the greater Lake Jackson/Angleton/BBSP area with absentee owners right now. :tickedoff:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Normally, I have spare logs of some sort, baggies, and often bison tube o-rings in my bag, along with ready-to-go soda tubes. Sometimes I have more stuff. Often I don't even remember to bring my bag, though. :uglystupid2:

I love when PR does housekeeping and archives a ton of caches at a time. Unfortunately, it just takes time. Putting a NM on caches that deserve it (issues noted in prior logs, CO has had time to fix it, and clear they are inactive, etc.) is the ticket. Just takes time.
Posted Image

#5 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have been trying to maintain my caches, as of late I have maintained about 5 so far, or atleast check on them. I have had cachers tell me they replaced a log on one of the caches, and I have done the same for other cachers. I carry *write in the rain* logs and if I come across one that is in bad *I mean really bad shape*, I will change it for the CO.

I think it is a common courtesy to assist a CO when one can assist them. I know many have mixed feelings about the issue but I think if we take time out to replace logs and keep the logs *clean* then we are just keeping the caching community looking forward to caching because there is an ongoing maintenance by all cachers, not just the CO.

Now replacing containers is another story. I have seen containers destroyed and replaced them, but people have mixxed feelings on that as well.

#6 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

As for Groundspeak purging inactive cachers. I don't believe they do. I've seen people who have had a single smilie from years ago, with no activity since. I believe the 1.8XXX Million cachers is based on every person who has cached (and possible those that have registered on the forum and never cached.) I'd guess the number of actual active cachers (say someone who's got a cache within the past year) is significantly lower, but still a few hundred K.

As for maintaining. I tend to have a decent amount of stuff in my backpack, but I usually leave it in the truck. And if it's a decent trek, and I don't have my backpack on me, I'll admit, I'm too lazy to make a 2nd trip to make the repair. But I've dropped the odd logsheet, replaced torn ziplock baggies when I have one that fits. I've even tossed down a prepared Soda Tube when I found a crushed container if it looked like muggles did it.

I feel unless it's got some historic significance (from a caching perspective) or is just a really cool cache for some reason or another, and it's poorly maintained, then maybe it should get archived and free up the location for someone who's willing to put a good cache in place.

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

I too have replaced logs, baggies and re hid, but do not replace containers on any regular basis as I don't keep a supply in my bag, unless I'm hiding.

The question about replacing logs for me is...What should I do with the old, full, wet, soggy log. Send it to the CO, toss....? Sometimes, this debate is what keeps me from replacing. There are CO's that do not want people touching their caches.

Edited by 2katz, 05 September 2012 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#8 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

I don't like my caches replaced unless asked or if the person somehow knows they are keeping the hide the same and it's in the same spot (typically they can't know that because they didn't find it). I've had hints rendered useless because the container or location changed and I've had poor containers put out to replace a missing good (water tight) one. I had one person log a find on an archived cache saying it was still there months after I archived it because it was gone. I went to see what that was about and found some other container in a different spot. On several occasions, I have found two caches when looking for a cache. One would be the original, and the second would be one put out by someone who just didn't find the original and assumed that if they didn't find it, it must not be there. So I try to treat other people's caches they way I would want mine treated. Sometimes I dry out logs, sometimes I replace them (but not if they are in a poor container and will be soggy again with the next rain) but I rarely replace a container and there would be a specific reason if I did.

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

I try to always get the CO's permission before replacing a missing cache. OK, there were a couple of finds on Texas County runs and the I've Been Everywhere challenge where the cache was destroyed/missing and I replaced the container and begged forgiveness (the CO's were fine with it).

Once, I DNF'd a sonoraQB cache in Rice Village, only finding the zip tie. I called Embry and got the OK to replace it. I put the cache on my watchlist and got to read all the subsequent logs where people kept finding TWO caches. Kind of embarrassing! :-[
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I got a FTF on a new nano and then found the first one: GC3KQG6

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

I will replace logs if I have one on me. If the original container is leaking but has enough space I'll put the log in a centrifuge tube that will defiantly keep it dry. I don't replace containers for caches I haven't found without contacting the CO first or for caches I have found I will if in the area, know the CO pretty well and feel confident he would approve.

#12 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

I got a FTF on a new nano and then found the first one: GC3KQG6

Does it give you credit for 2 finds? Maybe I should do it for LH13-Deezer Does it first http://coord.info/GCMERC >:D

I found the original container (yellow mini-m&m container) which had all the logs up to the date that the container was replaced in 2005, then a couple more over the past few years. The last one was from 2008. I signed it, but I knew it wasn't the current container because well over 100 logs since this time had been made of it, plus NobleHiker posted a picture of the container. So I keep going down the fence and 2' later I find the current container. I logged both sheets. BTW, I also DNF'd this cache in the past :-[ but definitely no through down. I've only did this once, when I found a destroyed container w/ logsheet on the ground. I took pictures, and put the container where I thought it belonged and sent a picture of it to the owner as well.

#13 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

In that scenario I would probably take one of the containers and if I could return it to the original owner.

Eagle
Posted Image

#14 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

In that scenario I would probably take one of the containers and if I could return it to the original owner.

Eagle

It was Motexoutlaw's later adopted by Team Tulip. I believe Motexoutlaw moved out of state several years ago. Not really wanting to get a double count on the smilies, just wanted to relay the story :notme:

#15 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

So if the owner is not available, turn the container into a new cache.

Eagle
Posted Image

#16 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

So if the owner is not available, turn the container into a new cache.

Eagle

Maybe someone else will. I've got plenty of cache containers that I have yet to deploy. Soda Tubes, Bison Tubes, Nano's (you found one that I just deployed this week), etc.

#17 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Answering the original question... To my knowledge GC.com has only purged an inactive cacher once. They were kind of nice about it, but it seemed a bit unnecessary to me actually. I'm speaking of TXOilandGas. Many apologies if I've misspelled that. He died while cacheing and they inactivated all of his caches. The caches were still there, so what's the hurry? Most of them have now been adopted by other cachers, but probably not all. Folks who've been at this longer than me might know of another instance.

As for getting rid of caches that aren't there, I say, just post a NM log, send the CO a note, and if you get no response in 2 months or so, post a NA log. If you can find a prior finder that will check on it, fine do that. But lots of folks don't want to find a cache they've already found.

As for maintenance of my caches, feel free to replace any of mine that any of you find missing. I suck at maintenance, but I'm trying to get better. We recently went out and maintained many of our caches (but we've still got a few left). One of them, I'd deactivated after receiving a log that said, the whole area had been bulldozed. When I neglected to check on it, PR eventually archived it. When I went to replace it, I found the original cache right where I'd placed it. It's now ready to go with a prior signature over a year old.

I enjoy looking for LSLF caches, but then I like banging my head against a wall at times.

#18 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Answering the original question... To my knowledge GC.com has only purged an inactive cacher once. They were kind of nice about it, but it seemed a bit unnecessary to me actually. I'm speaking of TXOilandGas. Many apologies if I've misspelled that. He died while cacheing and they inactivated all of his caches. The caches were still there, so what's the hurry? Most of them have now been adopted by other cachers, but probably not all. Folks who've been at this longer than me might know of another instance.

As for getting rid of caches that aren't there, I say, just post a NM log, send the CO a note, and if you get no response in 2 months or so, post a NA log. If you can find a prior finder that will check on it, fine do that. But lots of folks don't want to find a cache they've already found.

As for maintenance of my caches, feel free to replace any of mine that any of you find missing. I suck at maintenance, but I'm trying to get better. We recently went out and maintained many of our caches (but we've still got a few left). One of them, I'd deactivated after receiving a log that said, the whole area had been bulldozed. When I neglected to check on it, PR eventually archived it. When I went to replace it, I found the original cache right where I'd placed it. It's now ready to go with a prior signature over a year old.

I enjoy looking for LSLF caches, but then I like banging my head against a wall at times.

TXOil&Gas: His family requested his caches to be temp disabled with the help of his niece. I know of many other instances. One is Sven in England. There are more including one that just happened in California to a big time cacher there. His wife emailed Groundspeak and asked for all his caches be adopted out to local cachers. It does happen a lot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

On a similar but slightly different note, what to do when you move well out of the area? First I moved 20+ miles from my 90+ caches. I struggled to maintain them from that distance for a year and finally started archiving the ones that seemed pretty obviously gone. Now I live 250 miles from my caches which include 3 interlocking series. I think they have value but have no idea how to pass the torch. Any advise would be much appeciated!

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#20 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Offer them up for adoption. The process is pretty easy. Tell everyone what you have and takers will reply. Archive the rest as needed.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users