48 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

I get lots of random e-mails from people on CLAPS status, routes, etc., so I thought I'd start a FAQ and Status thread for people to refer to. Previously I posted on status a recent event post, but figure this is a better way to do it.

The #1 FAQ I receive is: We’re coming from (insert far away place) -- Can I replace one if it's missing?

Yes. After you find some you’ll know what you’re looking for. Most of them are not designed to be difficult to find. Maybe difficult to get to. But not to find. One exception might be CLAPS #3. But nature does have a way of getting to these and things can get overgrown. Give a thorough look first up and down at logical spots YOU would hide it first. Remember, GPSr accuracy is not perfect between the trees.

I would prefer if you used a Soda Tube, but you can use anything so there is at least something there temporarily. Please be sure to take a good reading of cords and post in your log what it is and the new cords. Or e-mail me for any series except CLAPS IV (e-mail Crankset Cacher if it is on CLAPS IV).

FAQ #2: I have never kayaked before. Can I do this?

Yes. You’ll have the hang of it after 15-20 minutes of paddling around. You don’t have to do a whole series. Come do something different, have fun, and score some smileys.

FAQ #3: I don’t have a kayak. What do I do?

Pinky’s is THE rental place for geocachers. I have no connection with them. Tell them you are a geocacher. Depending upon your route, you’ll get extra services included, like drop-offs at unique locations and pick-ups at other places that are not on his 'scheduled' route. http://www.pinkyskayakrental.com/ They rent kayaks (single and tandem), canoes, paddle boards (just not recommended in the gator-filled sections) and jet skis. It’s recommended you call Pinky to make the reservation and discuss your plans. I think they even take credit cards now.

Those I know are welcome to borrow my tandem yak if 1) I’m not using it and 2) you have a way to haul it. I have ratchet straps. You need a pickup or a roof rack. E-mail me. Quality beer works in lieu of rental fee. ;) Those I don’t know, e-mail me.

FAQ #4: What do I need to bring?

See attached CLAPS Paddle Checklist.

FAQ #5: What series should I do / what are the put-in and take-out spots? How should I plan to do the CLAPS Challenge in one day?

See the attached CLAPS General Information document. It will list the pros/cons of each and put-in and take-out options and recommendations for shuttling cars. Still have questions? E-mail me. Glad to help.

FAQ #6: I don’t want to do this alone.

Join us for a CLAPS paddle event (normally spring, fall, and nighttime in December).
Post something on the HGCS Metro Mashups section. Others may wish to join you.
Host your own paddle event. That will get people out there!

NOW – Current status:

I want to give a big thank-you to TexasWriter and CornDoll for their recent maintenance assists. In three consecutive days they hit all but about 6 CLAPS caches in some really, really hot weather.

Here is the current status as-of the post date:

CLAPS 1-17: All are good.

CLAPS Alphabet A-L: All are good.

CLAPS II 1-6: All are good.

CLAPS III 1-13: #6 and #12 may have issues (I'll try to fix this weekend) but all others are good.

CLAPS IV 1-9: 5-9 are good. 4 may have an issue. 1-3 not checked recently but probably good.

CLAPS V 1-16: All are good.

So if you are planning a run, especially if the timing is a ways out, be sure to PM me or contact me via my gc.com profile. If I can get out before you I'll check what I can in advance to minimize DNFs for you. I can also hook you up with a spare soda tube and zip ties, too. ;)

Hope this is helpful. I'll update this as things change.

EDIT: By popular demand, the General Information download has been upgraded and made into a full Resource Guide, complete with route maps, parking / launch spots, etc. I deleted the old one. 9/6/2012.

Attached Files

Edited by cachestacker, 06 September 2012 - 12:50 PM.

• Team Four Paw, ohl hockey guy, WTT-B2 and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#2 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

You know these caches are not just something you drive to, walk a bit into the woods, and do maintenance.
The time, effort, and enthusiasm displayed makes you a true caching steward.

I just want to say thanks. O0
  • JustKeely, Kirbydox, cachestacker and 3 others like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#3 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info. When's the next event?

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the info. When's the next event?

Trying to work that out now, along with the annual night-paddle event. Stay tuned.
Posted Image

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

I edited the General Info download and made it into a resource guide. If you have downloaded it, you probably will appreciate the enhancements. Download it again. ;)

Edited by cachestacker, 06 September 2012 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Paddled with some co-workers today on CLAPS III, but only to #7 due to a thunderstorm. #6 is there in good order but a bit more of a challenge to get to.

Current stauts:

Here is the current status as-of the post date:

CLAPS 1-17: All are good.

CLAPS Alphabet A-L: All are good.

CLAPS II 1-6: All are good.

CLAPS III 1-13: #12 may have issues (I'll try to it soon) but all others are good.

CLAPS IV 1-9: 5-9 are good. 4 may have an issue. 1-3 not checked recently but probably good.

CLAPS V 1-16: All are good.
Posted Image

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Current Status:

Everything North of the Bay Area Bridge is disabled and undergoing a re-work, except the EarthCache.

CLAPS (original series) #1 and #2 are disabled (the two from the original series north of the Bay Area Bridge).

CLAPS II is fully disabled.

CLAPS III is fully disabled.

Great things are coming soon to the North section of the CLAPS series.

However, a large part of the series IS available.  If you have not found them, now's the time to go out and get them before they are gone!   

CLAPS #3 and higher - Available and should be in good order.

CLAPS - Alphabet - Available and should be in good order

CLAPS IV -- Available and in perfect order.

CLAPS V (Clear Creek) is not being reworked.

CLAPS V #2 is missing.  A run is planned in May to do maintenance on V as I have not been out there in some time.  If you're interested in a mash-up, PM me and we can try to work something out.

Posted Image

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

As of now around the bayou and lake:

Everything North of the Bay Area Bridge is disabled and undergoing a re-work, except the EarthCache.

CLAPS (original series) #1 and #2 are disabled (the two from the original series north of the Bay Area Bridge).

CLAPS II is fully disabled.

CLAPS III is fully disabled.

Great things are coming soon to the North section of the CLAPS series.

However, a small part of the series IS available -- the south half of the lake. If you have not found them, now's the time to go out and get them before they are gone!

CLAPS #10.5 and higher - Available and should be in good order.

CLAPS - Alphabet:  Only K and L remain active.  K seems to be a D/T that is desirable.  This is your 2 week notice.  (It could last longer, but don't count on it).

Posted Image

#9 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

However, a small part of the series IS available -- the south half of the lake. If you have not found them, now's the time to go out and get them before they are gone!

CLAPS #10.5 and higher - Available and should be in good order.

CLAPS - Alphabet:  Only K and L remain active.  K seems to be a D/T that is desirable.  This is your 2 week notice.  (It could last longer, but don't count on it).

.What do you mean gone?  Are those getting archived? 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

CLAPS V2 is coming out. 

Posted Image

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

CLAPS V (Clear Creek) Status:

CLAPS V just had a run. CLAPS V #1 is missing (zip ties are there), but all others are there.  Even after all the rains.  Found today.

Posted Image

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

CLAPS V2 is coming out. 

And yes.  Physically gone.

Posted Image

#13 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'll start a new thread once things are truly ready, but for now, for a link, I need to upload the first draft of the revised info guide.  This is completely subject to revision at any time.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Mustard Devil just reminded me that the Big Island Slough boat launch is currently closed.  I learned this pulling out but had forgotten about it.  The significant storms that seemed to happen every weekend a few weeks ago did a few sections of the boat launch in.  Other options should be investigated.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

CLAPS IV (Hosepen Bayou) is now currently disabled.  :)

The South end of Mud Lake remains available currently.

N CLAPS is coming out as PR does it.  And the S CLAPS Wherigo is out (but thinking many people don't have notifications set on that).  So here's your notice!

Edited by cachestacker, 28 May 2013 - 08:48 AM.

Posted Image

#16 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the update.  Keep up the hard work all of you who are helping to keep this series alive and updated.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

That's going to be awesome, so that one series would include: Traditional, Letterbox, Multi, Puzzle, Earthcache and WhereIGo, toss in a CITO on the water, and Event (before or after) and you're at 8 events.  A run down to Galveston before this to get a Webcam and Virtual and you're in for 10 in a day for those who haven't done that yet.

So when's the next big CLAPS Event going to be. :stirpot:   I'm hoping my schedule will be open  :coolsmiley:

BTW, You Rock!!!  :fist-pump:  - And yes HC you get a You Rock!!!  :fist-pump: too, for the WhereIGo.

Now, only if someone puts out a 4.5/5.0 in this part of the series  :stirpot:

Posted Image Posted Image

#18 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Now, only if someone puts out a 4.5/5.0 in this part of the series  :stirpot:

It's been done (but not sure which part you want it in).  No matter.  You'll get it.  And you'll earn it, too. 

For those that are sitting waiting impatiently... "we're working on it."  This is a LOT of work.  Things are happening, literally, as we speak.  Thank the cacher formerly known as crankset cacher for that (Horspen Bayou / CLAPS IV happening now).  We've been out there many times over the past few weeks and still have more to do but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think everyone will enjoy the change of containers, sizes, locations, and types of caches.  It's been a lot of work paddling, rechecking taking down, putting up, fighting wind, rain, gators, big hairy spiders, etc. .  And it's coming out as everything is confirmed and done.  Order of operations.  Make sure your notifications cover the area...  That's all I can say.

Posted Image

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thank you, PR!  As of last night, CLAPS V2 is finally up in its entirety.

1 - 24 N CLAPS consists of:  5 Letterboxes, 3 multis, 1 puzzle, 1 EarthCache (not in the numbering sequence), and 15 traditional caches.

25 - 64 S CLAPS consists of:  5 Letterboxes, 2 multis, 1 puzzle, 1 Whereigo, and 31 traditional caches.

If you've been holding off until they are out, well, they're out now!  Please be sure to replace them as you found them - especially any with any natural camo!  And don't forget your pen or pencil.

Enjoy!

• Baytown Bert, 2katz, TexasWriter and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#20 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Y'all did a great job on the series, Kevin, and you all deserve a round of applause for the hard work you put into an enjoyable series that helps people connect with nature (although some of it will eat them) on a different level. Great job!

• Baytown Bert likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users