• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 STB2010

STB2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

We are brand new to Geocashing...1 for 4 in 2 days of trying :disappoint: But we are already addicted! We really have no clue what we are doing :what???: but really want to learn! Any advise or help is greatly appreciated! I think we would like to join others on their adventures so we can learn from the pros...we have had a hard time knowing what to look for especially when the GPS says we are standing right on it! To say we feel a bit stupid is an understatement, but we did find our first one today in the rain O0 It wasn't a hard one, but we sure were happy! Thanks in advance for your comments! Happy Labor day from a 20 yr Air Force Vet!

#2 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

First one is the hardest because you really don't know what you are looking for. My advice is read the description and the logs. Container size us VERY helpful. Sometimes the cache owner will actually tell you what the container is in the description. Also read the logs. A lot of times people will put hints in the logs when they find them (some are deliberate others are not). Over time you will learn to hone your "geosense," meaning learn to ask yourself, if I was hiding a small sides cache here, where would I put it?

Keep at it, you will get the hang of it. Also keep an eye on the metro mash up section. That is where planned caching trips are organized.

And if you ever end up on the west side of town give me a shout, I would be happy to make a run with you.

Eagle
  • STB2010 likes this
Posted Image

#3 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

First, welcome to the forum. Along with Eagle's great tips, another one is to go to a local geocaching event. You'll find we're a friendly bunch and there will be someone there that will show you around. I'd offer, but I'm way down in Sugar Land and I've got chores to do this weekend :-(

The containers will vary and are usually well hidden to keep from prying eyes. If in the woods, then you should look for unnatural wood piles, at the ends of fallen trees, in tree trunks. If by a Lamp Post, lift the skirt at the base. As mentioned as you do these, you'll become familiar with various types of hides, but there will always be ones that are bit baffling as well.

When starting out, you may also want to make sure the Difficulty rating is 2 or less so you're not getting too hard of hides.

TAZ427
  • STB2010 likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

There are geocaching Events in your general area. It is a good place to meet other cachers in your area.
Posted Image

#5 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Welcome to the addiction!

With each find you get that all important experience. Before you know it you'll be logging your 100th smiley. Early on, it can be a little frustrating at times, but it is as fun as you think!

I echo the events advice, go to an event ASAP after signing up for the premium membership and learning about pocket queries. The cypress area is quite active and there is a Park and Gab event each month. Get n the newsletter list from GC.com and get to some events and magic will happen.

I look forward to meeting you and seeing you in the logs!

Kenny
  • STB2010 likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#6 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

In addition to the above, keep in mind not all GPSr units will read the same. For that matter, the same unit can vary from day to day. So even though a GPSr says one is at zero feet, the cache could actually be anywhere within 20 or so feet and still be considered "good coordinates".

If you are using a phone to cache, give it time to settle down. I don't usually cache with my phone but I find it takes a little longer to react to movement than my GPSr.
  • STB2010 likes this
There is no adventure without risk.

#7 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

In addition to the above, keep in mind not all GPSr units will read the same. For that matter, the same unit can vary from day to day. So even though a GPSr says one is at zero feet, the cache could actually be anywhere within 20 or so feet and still be considered "good coordinates".

If you are using a phone to cache, give it time to settle down. I don't usually cache with my phone but I find it takes a little longer to react to movement than my GPSr.

Good comments and I'll add to that regarding the phones. The quality of the GPSr inside of cell phones will vary dramatically. Not sure if you use a smart phone at all. My understanding is the iPhone 3 was horrible for GPS coords while the iPhone 4S is ok to decent. I know my HTC Desire-Z/T-mobile G2 was Ok to decent and my Samsung Galaxy S III, which I recently switched to, is very accurate using both GPS and GLONASS sat systems, quick to react and doesn't bounce around even under thick foliage. I'd put it on par with my Garmin Oregon 400T. That said, I carry both with me.

Not only can the finders GPSr be off, but so can the hiders. Especially initial hiders with little experience finding and hiding caches. Sometimes they don't take the time to do some GPS averaging and if there phone / GPSr was off, they can be off. That said, as mentioned before as you build up Geosense, you can often take a look around and identify a number of potential hide spots.
  • STB2010 likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 STB2010

STB2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for all the comments and advise! How do we find out about other cachers or group events in our area? We live in Copperfield (Hwy 6 & West Rd. near 290) and would like to get to know others in our area. Is this even an appropriate question or do most of you just do this as an individual activity? Going to head out today to try and find the "defense" cache. Here's to good luck!

#9 STB2010

STB2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

First, welcome to the forum. Along with Eagle's great tips, another one is to go to a local geocaching event. You'll find we're a friendly bunch and there will be someone there that will show you around. I'd offer, but I'm way down in Sugar Land and I've got chores to do this weekend :-(

The containers will vary and are usually well hidden to keep from prying eyes. If in the woods, then you should look for unnatural wood piles, at the ends of fallen trees, in tree trunks. If by a Lamp Post, lift the skirt at the base. As mentioned as you do these, you'll become familiar with various types of hides, but there will always be ones that are bit baffling as well.

When starting out, you may also want to make sure the Difficulty rating is 2 or less so you're not getting too hard of hides.

TAZ427

We've tried to find "local events" but either I'm a forum idiot (which is probably accurate since I've never done it before) or it's not easy to navigate this stuff :blackeye: So what's the dummy proof way of finding local events? We are near Hwy 6 and West Road in the Copperfield subdivision (off 290). Thanks for the help!

#10 STB2010

STB2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to the addiction!

With each find you get that all important experience. Before you know it you'll be logging your 100th smiley. Early on, it can be a little frustrating at times, but it is as fun as you think!

I echo the events advice, go to an event ASAP after signing up for the premium membership and learning about pocket queries. The cypress area is quite active and there is a Park and Gab event each month. Get n the newsletter list from GC.com and get to some events and magic will happen.

I look forward to meeting you and seeing you in the logs!

Kenny

I can't seem to find the area for the newsletter???

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

I can't seem to find the area for the newsletter???

Go to the Your Profile tab at the top of the geocaching.com screen. Click on Account Details.
When the new screen comes up, in the next to bottom box on the left you'll see Your Validated E-Mail Addresses and E-Mail Preferences in it. Click edit and check the box that says: I want to receive fun and helpful emails from Geocaching.com. You'll get a newsletter each week and in it it will have all the nearby upcoming events.

Also, when you search for events on the gc.com map, look for this icon: Posted Image Events are all over town, and many are regular, recurring events - often monthly.

Welcome to the West Side Act VIII is coming up on 9/19 - http://coord.info/GC3VY90

Downtown there is an event about every 2 weeks for Club UFO -- the next one is 9/5. http://coord.info/GC3TZ6F
Posted Image

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Another easy way to seek out events is from your GC.com "home page", on the right hand side of the page is an area that says "Search Options". The first clickable link is one to open a search for geocaches near your home location (you can also filter out one's you've already found). You will need to have listed home coordinates on you GC.com profile for this to work correctly. Clicking this opens up a search page of caches in your area. Then click twice on the words "Last Found" at the top of the right hand column. This will sort the list such that ones that haven't been found yet are at the top. Events (being in the future) will be at or near the top of the list -- or at least on the first two pages anyway.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the comments and advise! How do we find out about other cachers or group events in our area? We live in Copperfield (Hwy 6 & West Rd. near 290) and would like to get to know others in our area. Is this even an appropriate question or do most of you just do this as an individual activity? Going to head out today to try and find the "defense" cache. Here's to good luck!

We live in Copperfield too. There are a few caches right in Copperfield. One of my favorites is How the Zebra Got His Stripes GC290F0. It is a puzzle cache, but a very easy one. Let me know if you need any help or if you want to go caching.

#14 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I live off 529 as well and would be happy to help you. It has became the addiction for me as well.

I think like with a lot of programs, there is more than one way to skin a cat, so keep hunting and pecking when you are learning to use the geocaching website. The way I have found to quickly just find events is to click on the Play drop down menu and click on "Hide & Seek A Cache" then scroll down to the bottom. In the underlined wording at the bottom of the left column, click on "Advanced Search Options". Under Search for I select "All Event Type Caches" and if you put in your zip code it will show you most of them all over the city.

I have used yours and mine and generally get the same events, except the ones further north or south. I have not been active on this site, as in posting, but have been reading but have noticed that many people will talk about their events on here as well. Two have recently posted about their upcoming events on Thursday and Saturday.

I just started earlier this year and the events helped us to understand more and so many people were very nice about answering questions and helping us along the way.

BTW - did you find defense? I haven't gone after it yet but there are several right in that area that are easy enough.

#15 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Another thought came to mind- Look at the past logs. Since you are newer to caching, I would suggest that until you get used what to look for you would want to mainly go for ones that do not have a recent DNF. Sometimes you may walk up and find one someone else didn't but for me, I wanted to feel a little more confident in finding ones and if someone else recently found it I thought my chances were more likely I would find it. I have gone back to caches I couldn't find when I first started and found them. It helped to have gone and found a lot more along the way.

Also on the logs, sometimes people will say just the right thing without giving it totally away that may help you find the cache. I am still getting better but I know that there are so many factors that may help you find it rather than just going up to some coordinates and walking up and finding a container. Keep in mind, the title might be even be a hint

You also will eventually figure out a style that some people hide their caches. Sometimes it is a series and all the caches are hidden in the same way so pay attention to that as well and don't think that just because I found this hide that every single one by that person will be the same.

#16 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

There is also an events link in menu up top on this site as well.
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#17 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

The Park and Gabs are held monthly and is a great way to meet geocachers in the Northwest Area. This event will be held at HWY 6 and 290 on October 22, between 6:00pm - 9:00pm. Northwest *ManofSteel73* aka Terry and his lovely wife Rhonda will be hosting.

Click the link and see if this event will work for you!!

http://www.geocachin...c5-73a74dc0f532

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users