#1 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

When I hide geocaches:
A. I camo them just so muggles can’t find it because I want cachers to find the container. :smitten:

B. I camo them so that geocachers have to look for a little bit before finding the container. :)

C. I have a hundred clear pinky-sized containers, and I’m going to put them out, but can’t be bothered with getting good coordinates. ;D

D. I rate the difficulty 1.5 and hide an itty bitty container in the most muggle crowded area. I don’t want you to find it because I am still angry at the world for not being loved as a child. :knuppel2:

#2 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

:smitten: :) :laugh: :knuppel2:

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

A lot of folks seem to be of the "D" variety. :coolsmiley:

With a few exceptions, I tend to lean towards the "A" method -- and throw in a decent hint to help nudge my fellow cachers in the right direction.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'm with Larry Fines, er, uh, I mean Houston on this one.

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

I am a type A or B. Sometimes puzzles make them a bit more complicated :angel:

#6 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

:'(

Oh my gosh. D, it is D! I am still mad at my mother for yelling at me to give my sister the tricycle because it was her turn to ride it. I had to share *our* tricycle.

:'(

:2funny:
  • FamilieRyan and Baytown Bert like this

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

When I first started hiding caches, I thought they had to be devilish and unique and I tried to make them both, but then I realized that it was more fun to take people around to interesting places and have park and grabs along the way to make it worth their while to go to these places.

The newer cachers I meet in this area who ask my advice on the subject (!) are told to do the same thing. Instead of putting out a lone evil cache that no one will look for, except a few intrepid people, I tell them to put out 5 or 6 in a remote area and make some regular size, maybe one evil, and the others medium in difficulty or terrain. Makes sense to me.

I also tell them that if they put a lone cache in the top of a tree in the middle of nowhere (Baytown Bert's a crying), don't be surprised if only a couple people come looking for it. Don't expect 50 people a week to drive over from Lubbock. Then there is the fact that some people are simply not physically capable of anything more than a simple park and grab-type cache, due to health problems. Why not accomodate them? Peace.
  • FamilieRyan likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Not that I've got a lot of hides, but I definitely lean towards B. I'm not into the extreme high muggle traffic area hides, and I try to hide a bit more than just to keep from muggle eyes as I want finders to put in a little bit of effort. No skirt lifters to date, and if I do it won't be a match stick container tossed in there. I don't harbor ill will towards LPCs, but I won't be doing any LPC hides either, at least not a standard LPC hide.

Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Have a hide in the cue. Come find it when it pops and my style should be evident.

Eagle
Posted Image

#10 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

In general I like to hide caches in interesting places more than camo a container. On occasion I like to hide a cache with non-traditional camo techniques though. I'm not sure I can relate to any of those choices except maybe D. :angry:
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#11 empressone

empressone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationspring

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

I currently tend towards the B option, mostly because I get a charge out of making the cammo, as well as I enjoy finding this type of hide. Once it cools off I plan to start hiding in the woods and finding nifty places to lead cachers....
  • Baytown Bert likes this
EmpressOne

#12 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

I tend to be less about the hide and more about the puzzle or location (or pun).
Not that there's anything wrong with clever hides... I'm just not as good at them as Maxwell's Hammer or Bografan.
For me, I'm not trying to "beat" other cachers. I am trying to make them smile, and one the best way to do that is to make sure they get the smiley.
That said, I am contemplating some containers that will make cachers smile (I hope)!

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm not sure I can answer, maybe we need an "all of the above" and a write-in :)

I suppose I like to hide caches that mirror the caches I like to search for. Problem is, my preference changes with the weather.

I'm not terribly demanding. Most often I love to find caches within 30 ft of the posted GZ, with a writable log, that isn't on a Walmart rooftop or inside a "hot" electrical box or on the freeway center divider. Speaking for myself, if these criteria are met, I've never seen one I didn't like. I'm committed to hide similarly.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I adopted three Aaron Barbee caches today, so now I fall into the last category. ;) Curse you Aaron Barbee (shaking fist at sky)!

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I adopted three Aaron Barbee caches today, so now I fall into the last category. ;) Curse you Aaron Barbee (shaking fist at sky)!

You should adopt his Soda Tube Trials - Do the Shimmy cache, move it down one light pole, (for proximity reasons) then place a cache at Ken Pridgeon's place. Just sayin'...

Edited by HoustonControl, 06 September 2012 - 05:07 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I should! I think Jason Gipson is going to be offered the Soda Tube Trials and I'll ask him.

You should adopt his Soda Tube Trials - Do the Shimmy cache, move it down one light pole, (for proximity reasons) then place a cache at Ken Pridgeon's place. Just sayin'...

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

A and B. I don't have too many hides yet (20 something, plus a few more hitting shortly) - I like to make them easy for lots of people to find, a evil hide or two for those who like the challenge, but most take just a little bit of hunting to find. Most of all, I want cachers to have fun during the hunt. Oh, and good coords are a must!!
Posted Image

#18 empressone

empressone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationspring

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

So i gotta ask, is the new phrase "curse you baytown Bert!"??O:-) ;-)
EmpressOne

#19 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

I'm option E:

I drive by at 20 MPH and throw out a 35mm Container with a piece of notebook paper in it.
  • Baytown Bert and Eagles1181 like this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm option E:

I drive by at 20 MPH and throw out a 35mm Container with a piece of notebook paper in it.

And then use Google maps to give a ballpark idea of what the coordinates might be.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users