#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Back a year or so ago, I told myself I was going to try and give back to the game by placing a cache for every ten I find. Today, or tomorrow I am going to place my 150th cache. I think I've created a curse here, but I'm going to try and continue as long as I can. Anyone else out there have this unique view of how to further the game?

What are you doing to further the game, or are you good with just playing. This is not a challenge, just curious as the game continues to evolve and as members of the HGS, aren't we kind of movers and shakers, or examples of how it should be done? Peace.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 23 August 2012 - 06:25 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

I've never set a goal or anything like that, I just ended up with a lot of caches. Maintenance of the paddle caches takes a lot of time, and with kids' softball / baseball / school / scouts there is little time in there for me to actually go find caches. I spend what would otherwise be quality caching time doing maintenance on land and water caches. So I'm feeling more than well with what I have and feel I've contributed locally more than sufficiently.

That said, I am trying to work on a few other ideas that I have. In other words, despite not wanting more if the coolness factor justifies it it will be placed.
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Like Kevin, I feel like I could hardly maintain any more caches.than the 90 or so active ones I have now. They get stale after a while, though, so I DO archive some and make new ones. I'm often torn between archiving a cache because I want to replace it with something new and better and keeping it around because of it's age and pedigree.

I feel as long as my caching karma (finds on my caches/my find total) is > 1, I'm giving back to the caching community. My karma is currently 1.8. :)
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Good point, HC. I kinda feel like you do -- if I'm over 1% I'm good. And if I get low I'll hold a paddle event. ;)

Bert, maybe you should reconsider the 10% rule / guidline as a tool to getting you from where you where to where you wanted to be. At some point you'll feel you're kinda there and you can transition to a caching karma figure you deem appropriate that will achieve a similar objetive for you -- motivating you to put some new ones out but not forcing you to do so.

Keeping at 10% (or even lower percentages) will inevitably take you to 100% maintenance and 0% caching. Don't stop putting them out, but don't ever feel you 'have' to get some out. You already have far more than many around you. Your contribution is obvious, not to mention all the other stuff you do, like videos and such that keep us entertained and inspire some of us to go do a particular series, etc.
  • Baytown Bert and pindroppers74 like this
Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

That sounds like a good idea. One thing I've done that has helped me, is my cahces for the most part are in my normal travel path, with a few exeptions, like my BRAWNDO series and I am about a year and a half from retirement. How exactly do you keep up with the karma thingy - through GSAK?

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Find State Gen 4 will calculate it for you.

Eagle
Posted Image

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Yeah, it's on my profile, via GSAK and the FindsStatsGen macro.

Attached File  KArma.JPG   45.88KB   8 downloads

Edited by HoustonControl, 23 August 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#8 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Just checked my Karma. I am at .55 (and a fair bit of that is from adopted caches). Looks like I need to do some work.

Eagle
Posted Image

#9 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Originally I was thinking 1 hide for every 100 found, but I have come to like the Caching Karma stat very much and I believe it is a very good barometer of giving back to the game. That said, there are so many people that do so much in the area of events, and making newbies feel welcome out on the trails, and so forth - that too is really important too. Hours of service that isn't hiding or finding?

Also, all caches are not created equal either. FAVs seems proportional to hassle and maintenance I suspect.

An extra tip of the hat to all who keep a close eye on their hides and keep them in tip top shape! That, to me, seems worthy of being a great caching citizen too. I found it rather discouraging as a newbie to visit caches long in disrepair or neglect, especially after substantial effort and cost to get to the GZ. I still find it discouraging, but I guess I'm used to it now. Sometimes I wish every CO would make it a point to visit every single one of their hides seasonally and indicate that in the logs.

Good thread Bert!

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#10 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

^^ This^^

I was a bit sad to see my karma score at .6, but that doesn't take into consideration cachin shark's hides (which I help maintain) or the fact that we do actually maintain our caches. We don't hide more than we can care for. Also, for the last year I've been hosting Westside events, and participated in the Texas Challenge for the first time. So hey, I'm not doing too bad karma-wise, lol.

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

cook cachers, you can offset a somewhat low karma by leaving Krugerrands or gold bullion as swag in caches. Be sure to pm me when you do and I will double-check them to make sure everything is in order. :angel:

#12 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Bert, I'd rather see you have a good, manageable set of caches that are well maintained, than see you try to start placing lesser quality caches just to keep your placed/find ratio at 10%.
Don't give up your standards to meet an unmanageable goal.
Posted Image

#13 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Caches would be so much better if most cache owners did even a quarter of the maintenance and regular checking on their caches as Bert does on his.
Posted Image

#14 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

10% is way too high for us and probably most experienced cachers. We'd have to have over 1400 caches to be at 10% and we wouldn't be doing anyone any favors by putting that many out. It just wouldn't be maintainable. Also, with such a huge caching community, there is no reason for any one person to have to have a monopoly on hides. If there weren't quite so many hides, cachers would be forced to venture out a little further from their house and this would most likely open up some great adventures for some that they don't even know that they are missing out on. Stan and I have cache in a lot of places and are really glad we didn't restrict ourselves to just our neighborhood. We have hidden 111 caches. That's plenty to maintain and Stan is actually pretty good at maintaining our caches. We do have some soggy logs from time to time but that's what happens when you hide a majority of your caches in a reservoir.
  • pindroppers74 likes this
Posted Image

#15 empressone

empressone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationspring

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hmmmm. This thread is apt this evening.
EmpressOne

#16 pagirlintx

pagirlintx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationKingwood, TX

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

I have 90+ hides and over 1,700 found. To be a good geocaching citizen, I've been hosting events, welcoming new cachers & getting them to the events to meet others, and adopting older caches locally. I visit my caches pretty often - trying to keep the quality up. I also do a lot of maintenance on caches we find that are in poor shape...it's a balance.
Blessings Be, S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users