19 replies to this topic

#1 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

The West Nile Virus has reached epidemic stage in Dallas county where there have already been 9 WNV related deaths and hundreds of confirmed cases. :disappoint:

Meanwhile a few hours south, in Houston, where we live, Dr. Rudy Bueno, Harris County Mosquito Control Director, stated that 90% of the mosquitos tested in the Houston area are testing positive for the virus. FREAKIN' 90%!!! :blackeye: :tinfoil:

In doing the research to send a mass email out to the employees of my company and our tenants, I discovered that it's not just Texas that needs to take precautions....

Here is the Centers of Disease Control WNV resource: http://www.cdc.gov/n...tnile/index.htm
Please take a moment to learn more.

Don't stop cachin', but be extra careful especially in the early morning and evenings when the nasty little critters are most active
Oh, I meant this as a joke back in 2003, but it sadly has been proven to be true... geocaching:(v) Wayyy more chances to contract West Nile or Lyme Disease than the average person...

Anyone know of any cachers that have contracted WNV???

Be careful out there and don't forget the mosquito repellant.

Edited by Snoogans, 13 August 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#2 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,250 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

His names escapes me at the moment but a few years back a cacher in clearlake got WNV.

Here you go..
Freysman.

http://hgcs.org/inde...__fromsearch__1
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#3 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Most people who contract west nile virus have no symptoms. A smaller proportion have symptoms somewhat akin to the flu. A much smaller proportion can get very sick (and this is what typically gets reported on the news). The relative amounts (according to Wikipedia) are 110:30:1. The CDC reports that 1 in 150 infected people develop "severe illness" and 80% show no symptoms whatsoever.

My suspicion is that most of the cachers in the area have contracted WNV and showed no symptoms or the flu-like symptoms.

However, that is no reason not to take precautions since most of us won't know that we had it.
  • Snoogans and team-adoptapet like this

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

There was a news report recently that said WNV cases in Houston were actually declining and attributed it to the fact that most people have already been exposed and are now immune. Like any other infectious disease, those with compromised immune systems are the most at risk.
  • Snoogans likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

There was a news report recently that said WNV cases in Houston were actually declining and attributed it to the fact that most people have already been exposed and are now immune. Like any other infectious disease, those with compromised immune systems are the most at risk.

I would love to see that. It would help balance my report even better than the 1 in 150 CDC stats that I have.

I don't want to come off as alarmist, but I want folks to think harder about taking precautions. 90% of sampled mosquitos infected with WNV is rather shocking to hear.

#6 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

My suspicion is that most of the cachers in the area have contracted WNV and showed no symptoms or the flu-like symptoms.

However, that is no reason not to take precautions since most of us won't know that we had it.

I have the exact same suspicion. I have yet to finfd if there is a test to see if one has been previously exposed. If there was, I would have it run on me in our clinic at work. I'm curious.

#7 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have the exact same suspicion. I have yet to finfd if there is a test to see if one has been previously exposed. If there was, I would have it run on me in our clinic at work. I'm curious.

There are tests to be run to prove that someone has WNV. One webpage that I saw suggested that it wasn't useful to run on someone who was asymptomatic. I think they meant that it had no diagnostic utility, but I'm sure it would provide peace of mind (if you knew that you already had been exposed). It appears that current thoughts are that the immunity lasts several years and may be permanent. I believe the test is for WNV specific antibodies.

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's just important to keep things in context. Since West Nile first appeared in the US ten years ago, it has been linked to 23 deaths in Harris County. It preys mostly on the elderly and others with compromised immune systems. There is no vaccinne. By comparison, another disease which also affects the weak and elderly to a greater extent that the rest of the population -- the seasonal flu (for which there IS a vaccine) -- is linked to upwards of 600 deaths each year in Harris County*.

(*that number was swagged by taking the national rate of flu deaths according to the CDC and dividing it by our percentage of the national population. YMMV.)

Edited by HoustonControl, 13 August 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

Because of chiggers, not mossies, I hardly ever venture off-road (on foot) without spraying down. I hate fricken chiggers worse than any thing we encounter. In case you've never seen one, here's an actual photo of one following this period.
  • Mr Muddy Buddy and empressone like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Because of chiggers, not mossies, I hardly ever venture off-road (on foot) without spraying down. I hate fricken chiggers worse than any thing we encounter. In case you've never seen one, here's an actual photo of one following this period.

I counted 5 in that photo. :coolsmiley:
Posted Image

#11 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Argh! I got chigger bites from last weekend. I'm sure they came from that animal known as Log Dawgs...

Jeez they itch and welt up.
Posted Image

#12 team-adoptapet

team-adoptapet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, TX

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

I still have scars from where I was attacked by chiggers a couple of months ago. Miserable! Now I cringe when I am having to walk through tall grass this summer. I unexpectedly went after the twin city cache in Tomball this afternoon, and what was there you ask? None other than my arch nemesis right now, tall grass! I had flip flops on to boot! Out I came with the 90% Deet spray and showered myself and the little adoptapet with me. We got the cache, but of course will have to wait until later to see if we were cursed by the chiggar. The whelps didn't show up on me until about three days later on my last seige. Wish us luck!

#13 bbqandbeer

bbqandbeer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Should not be a big surprise but it looks like Barker / Addicks reservoirs are the hotspot for Houston West Nile.

http://www.chron.com...rea-3787525.php

#14 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

TAAP, we have the same arch nemesis - tall grass and chiggers. :angry: After my bout with chiggers a few months again, I am paranoid about any grass, even if just to ankle level. Gotta love the 90% deet!!! :D
  • KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#15 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have had so few mosquito bites this year, I've become lax about spraying down, even when hiking in the woods. It seems like another layer on top of the sun screen that will just make you hotter.

#16 empressone

empressone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationspring

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

I've come to terms with the fact that I wear some form of deet the way some women wear perfume! :-P
  • KeyResults likes this
EmpressOne

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

The Culex mosquitoes that carries the West Nile Virus are most active in the evening and at night. Another reason to stay out of the NTN clique club. :2funny:

Edited by HoustonControl, 25 August 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#18 Hoosier Ranger

Hoosier Ranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHeritage Grand, Katy, TX

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

I am very elderly with a low WBC count so should probably stay out of the woods during the summer. However, last spring following the rains we spent several hours geocaching in Bush Park where about 1/3 of our hike was in ankle-deep water. Despite using Deet, each of us had a few dozen mossies flying around us most of the time. Suprisingly, I did not have a single bite so the stuff must really work. Now as for chiggers - they're worse than mossies in my opinion.

#19 GeoGeex

GeoGeex

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBeach City, Texas

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

I hear that some cachers who might have possibly contracted WNV have disappeared into some unknown, swampy area of Baytown with the FTFC trophy...they have never been heard of again...
Posted Image

#20 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Spray your ankles with deet, then spray you socks. Spray along the seams of your pants, around the waist and that should keep the chiggers at bay. Also, for the women, spray around the bottom of your bra and the sides of the bra. Mas importante!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users