HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

This is the challenge cache in question: Texas County Challenge

I use the FindStatGen macro in GSAK to draw the map that colors in the counties I've found. I think you have to run the CountryStateCounty macro first to update your database before running the FindStatGen macro, but KeyResults could speak more intelligently about this than I.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

I am slowly working on the county challenge. I plan vacations to areas I have not been and create a route through the maximum number of counties that I do not have. I use Google Earth to help locate counties/caches. I pick two caches in each county. One to get and one as a backup in case the first one does not pan out. I always have a destination in mind and often stop along the way for other fun things (courthouses, historic sites, etc.). So I don't just drive from one cache to another. I am seeing and enjoying a lot of the state this way. I use GSAK to keep track but I also use a real printed map and mark off counties that I have done so that I have a good visual with roads that I can reference when creating a route.

Edited by jackrock, 09 September 2012 - 05:06 AM.

• pindroppers74 likes this

#23 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Yes, there is a challenge cache. It is up near Dallas somewhere, but I don't know the GC code (but I am sure somebody will).

For checking counties I use a macro called "CheckCounties.gsk" Very straight forward and easy to use. Just create a list of all the caches you have found and run the macro.

Also look at a macro called "GoogleEarth.gsk" This macro takes where caches are in your filter and overlays them onto a GoogleEarth map.
Posted Image

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Again, the challenge cache in question is Texas County Challenge (GCRX6F). The bogus coords are in the middle of Lake Waco, but the cache itself sorta moves around.

For planning purposes, you can use the GC.com maps and choose the MapQuest maps which show county lines pretty well. The county names are displayed as well, but they are skewed to the side a bit, so you have to double-check them.

#25 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I still need 82 counties. I am planning a trip that will get me nearly half of those. I'll also get in some camping and hiking and see a number of interesting sites. Should be fun and it moves me along on this challenge. Just think of it as an opportunity to explore the state in a way that you otherwise never would.

#26 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

4 days - 1,926 more miles - 19 counties - 7 DeLorme sections - whew time to rest - only 7 counties left !!!

Posted Image

#27 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

4 days - 1,926 more miles - 19 counties - 7 DeLorme sections - whew time to rest - only 7 counties left !!!

Awesome. I still need 43 counties, most of which are far so it will be another long trip to get them, hopefully this coming year.
  • pindroppers74 likes this

#28 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Awesome. I still need 43 counties, most of which are far so it will be another long trip to get them, hopefully this coming year.

Yep 4 of the 7 we have left are in the Big Bend Area - did I hear road trip!! again

Posted Image

#29 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Barry, you are obsessed! Obsessed, I say!

TXGA SETX Representative

#30 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Make sure you get Prada, y'all

Yep 4 of the 7 we have left are in the Big Bend Area - did I hear road trip!! again

Make sure you get Prada, y'all when you're out in Jeff Davis County. What a hoot!

#31 pindroppers74

pindroppers74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

We have a cache out in Val Verde county - Circle the Wagons GC3C06R.
Posted Image

#32 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Make sure you get Prada, y'all

Make sure you get Prada, y'all when you're out in Jeff Davis County. What a hoot!

I've got it bookmarked since your statement about it being one of your favorite cache of the entire experience in this post

Edited by WTT-B2, 25 November 2012 - 08:02 AM.

Posted Image

#33 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Barry, you are obsessed! Obsessed, I say!

Uuhhh DOH!!

Posted Image

#34 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

We made some significant progress on the Texas County Challenge this past week.

We added 64 counties, in West Texas.

We traveled 3400 miles (on a rental car) which included a short side trip to Phoenix, AZ. (another story)

We added New Mexico to our state count.

Left are:  

22 counties in the panhandle.

19 counties in south Texas.

Posted Image

#35 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown