#1 aaronbarbee

aaronbarbee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hey guys,

My fiancée and I have decided to complete the Texas County Challenge by June 1, 2014. I've searched this site but I can't find any posts regarding best practices, past experiences, and general information from those that completed it. Can someone post some links? I know it's here somewhere, I just can't find it with the keywords I'm using. Thanks!

#2 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

just get out and drive. thats what ive been doing im working on it slowly but starting to get there

#3 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

We haven't finished it, but every time we go on a roadtrip in Texas into a new area we make sure and grab as many of the counties around where we are going and make a few detours to make sure that we don't miss counties that we'll have to travel a long ways again to pick up if we don't take the detour. At some point I'm sure we'll just have to take a roadtrip to West Texas specifically to finish up because we just don't travel that way for anything else.
Posted Image

#4 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

I don't know of any "hint links".
Here are some from my perspective:
1. Plan ahead. I I used the caching feature on Google Earth to find the right county for cache location. (the OpenSource has counties, too)
2.We chose 3 caches in each county, and tried to get two in each county.
3. Make a destination for each trip, so you are going somewhere, not just getting counties. Doing virtuals usually makes things interesting. It is a good idea to do at least one traditional in each county.
4. Start your bookmark list early (or use GSAK)!! We decided to do the challenge after a few years of caching, and it was hard going back and determine the correct county.. I'm a Mac guy, and didn't have GSAK at the time we did it. THEN I found that there is a macro that generates the county names. We like the state maps with GSAK (we used INATN when we were working on it) so we can see where we've been.
5. Make a gas budget. Double it. The same thing for mileage. If MapQuest says it is 500 miles to your destination, it will be closer to 1000 if you are grabbing counties along the way.
6. Remember: The journey is the reward.

Hope this helps!

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

You should check out some of the other challenges you might want to complete along the way, like the I've Been Everwhere Challenge--Texas, the Texas Area Code Challenge, the Texas Alphabet Cities Challenge, the Lone Star state DeLorme Challenge, etc. No sense driving 500 miles to get a county only to later find out you needed another cache a mile away for one of these other challenges.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 aaronbarbee

aaronbarbee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'm taking note of all of them!

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Oh, and it doesn't hurt to get two caches in each county if you can, just to be safe. Especially if one is a virtual or earthcache which might be subject to log deletion if the CO doesn't like your answer. You might want to avoid caches right on the county line, if possible, especially if it's the only cache you get for that county. I've seen one's where the mapquest maps on GC.com show the cache to be in one county, while Google Earth (and the actual county line signs) show it to be in another.

As of now, I have 253 of 254 done and have ONE county left to get -- Nueces down near Corpus Christi. Woo Hoo!

#8 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

HC, you could finish it off when you go to the Texas Challenge next April if you don't go down that way before then.
Posted Image

#9 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

I always had a list of the counties I was planning on doing on what ever trip. Listed in order, then as I got that county I would mark it off so I didn't miss any of them.

You will be going to a lot of middle of nowhere places .....so after I all most ran out of gas and the gps said there was a gas station there .... the station had not been there for years,
I made sure that I get gas at half a tank.

HC ... WOOHOO!!!!!
Posted Image

#10 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

One thing we tried to do is get a cache in the county seat so we could visit the county courthouses. Some of those courthouses are just awesome!!

Posted Image

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Some of those courthouses are also benchmarks.

While out in Armstrong County, we stopped at a scenic overlook where there was an older cache called The Pretty Place. Spotted a familiar name in the log from 8 years ago!

Posted Image
  • Team Troglodyte likes this

#12 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

I've got a bunch of the caches you logged on your roadtrip on my watchlist. It was fun to watch y'all travel around. Lots of those courthouses are waymarks also!!

Posted Image

#13 aaronbarbee

aaronbarbee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hey WTT-B2, that's what my fiancée is going to do. That's her official goal now.

So, I get the county caches (and her too), but she is really after a picture of the courthouse now. :)

Major congrats, HC! And congrats to those that have completed it. It's a huge long chore but oh so fun!

#14 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Oh, and it doesn't hurt to get two caches in each county if you can, just to be safe. Especially if one is a virtual or earthcache which might be subject to log deletion if the CO doesn't like your answer. You might want to avoid caches right on the county line, if possible, especially if it's the only cache you get for that county. I've seen one's where the mapquest maps on GC.com show the cache to be in one county, while Google Earth (and the actual county line signs) show it to be in another.

As of now, I have 253 of 254 done and have ONE county left to get -- Nueces down near Corpus Christi. Woo Hoo!

Wow! That is pretty good HC!! Congrats to such a great achievement. I doubt he will wait until the challenge...I see him and the Mrs going to Corpus by, er.. today or next week!

Congrats again...lots of miles and a great way to discover Texas.

Are you done with *I've Been everywhere* Texas Challenge as well?

#15 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hey WTT-B2, that's what my fiancée is going to do. That's her official goal now.

So, I get the county caches (and her too), but she is really after a picture of the courthouse now. :)

Major congrats, HC! And congrats to those that have completed it. It's a huge long chore but oh so fun!

Have her log them into waymarking.com under the courthouse catagory

Edited by WTT-B2, 24 June 2012 - 09:13 AM.

Posted Image

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

I need Val Verde, up near Temple. I see a weekend roadtrip in my near future!

#17 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

I need Val Verde, up near Temple. I see a weekend roadtrip in my near future!

Awesome! I am grabbing a few *I've been everywhere* caches by Midland. I have one city near Dallas...Tuscola, which I totally missed while I was driving back home from Amarillo on my last trip. Argh. I saw that you did Alameda, so that will be a weekend road trip for me too.

Good going HC and again, congrats!!

#18 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I got a lot of help from Rich & Lola and Kirbydox on this last run. That was a lot of fun!

#19 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

I got a lot of help from Rich & Lola and Kirbydox on this last run. That was a lot of fun!

Amen!

#20 SueandRon

SueandRon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

I have more questions about the County challenge because I dont know where to begin either.

Is there a challenge cache with rules and timelines?

I have learned GSAK and am trying new things on it. I see there are macros that involve counties, but which one do I use to tell me which counties I have found caches in?

I have just now downloaded Google Earth and don't know where to go from there.

Everything I learn just makes me realize how much out there I still need to learn! :what???:

Thanks for the help.

Sue from Sueand Ron

SueandRon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users