46 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

It seems this is the year of the Chigger. Mite be the worst year ever for some reason.

Lots of our caching brothers and sisters hurting right now.

If you've got a fav remedy or preventive measure, please share.

Otherwise, be sure to spray !
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Clear nail Polish on them
  • green-eyed likes this

#3 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Benadryl oral and cream. Everything else is a wives tale. Preventative measures is a must if you don't like chiggers.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

I am an expert on this subject. ChiggerEx Plus at Wal-mart Hands down.

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Muddy Buddies passed along this one.

A capful of bleach in hot water in a bath tub. Soak for a while.

I do that and then put Chigger Ex Plus from Wal Mart on them.

I'm thinking the Chigger Ex container might make a decent cache.

#6 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I've always gone with thacatfish remedy - clear nail polish. If you use the colored stuff it looks like your feet and legs have the measels. Muddy Buddies hot water seems to work too. I am going into the second week with a bad case on my feet and legs. :tickedoff:

#7 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Alternate applications of Benadryl and hydrocortisone. And don't scratch. If that doesn't work add the oral Benadryl. If that doesn't work, see you doctor for some oral steroids.

#8 team-adoptapet

team-adoptapet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, TX

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

As a kid, I was always told by my grandmother to put rubbing alcohol on the bites for a few days because you had to kill the chigger or red bug. From what I remember it worked, however I now have read that this is not how the chigger works. Oh well, so much for using the old school approach. I did just read that many people have good luck with putting Listerine on the bites?

#9 bbqandbeer

bbqandbeer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

I agree with thacatfish, clear fingernail polish. been doing that since I was a kid and it works.

and every man should have some clear fingernail polish in his toolbox, it's a great substitute for locktite.
  • empressone likes this

#10 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Chiggers attach by inserting minute mouth parts into the skin, ususally in the wrinkles or folds of the skin. The chigger injects saliva into the victim which digests the skin. Your skin will react by forming a hard tube, which the chigger uses to suck up the tissue. That is what gets red and itches. The chigger doesn't attach to the skin the way ticks do.
Most chiggers will be scratched or rubbed off. Everyone has their own home remedies, but taking a bath with warm soapy water is all that is needed to remove them. If you don't have access to a bath, light rubbing will remove them.
Home remedies such as kerosene, bleach, etc. can be dangerous, and is unnecessary. Nail polish can't smother them, because the chigger doesn't attach to the skin.
There is nothing you can do to remove the tube that has formed. You have to wait until the body breaks it down and reabsorbs it. For relief of itching, use over-the-counter creams- benadryl, and/or local anesthetic creams. Scratching can cause infection.

Prevention is the best thing. Wear tight woven socks and long pants, spray with insecticide or dust with sulphur. Never wear the same clothes again unless washed. Take a warm, soapy bath after being in questionable areas.
  • Team Troglodyte likes this

#11 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

On a related subject, this was sent to me by atennisbabe. Neither of us know if it really works, but it might be worth trying. Maybe Arlene will give us her opinion, lol. :2funny:

Tick removal -

This is great because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes,
in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

Edited by cook cachers, 11 May 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Tried it with a Lonestar tick on my arm. Did not work. Used tweezers.

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

On a related subject, this was sent to me by atennisbabe. Neither of us know if it really works, but it might be worth trying. Maybe Arlene will give us her opinion, lol. :2funny:

Tick removal -

This is great because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes,
in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

It isn't my opinion. If someone wants to pour lemonade or whatever on their body because they think it will help, it's fine with me. I teach first aid too, and I am only retelling what the American Heart Association's tells us to teach. For ticks, the reccommended way to remove them is by tweezers, then wash with soap and water. There is actually a section in the First Aid book that states, "Do Not (in bold red letters)
use petroleum jelly, touch the tick with your bare hands, use fingernail polish, rubbing alcohol, a hot match, gasoline, or jerk the tick."

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

The concern with using petroleum jelly, fingernail polish, etc, is that it will sicken the tick, causing it to regurgitate it's meal (and pathogens such as Lyme Disease) into the skin before letting go. If you Google "Tick Removal", almost every result that comes up warns NOT to use "folk remedies" such as this. Here's one from the Centers for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/t...ing_a_tick.html

As for chiggers, I just usually scratch and scratch until my skin looks like I fell off of a motorcycle wearing shorts and flip-flops! :blink:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#15 bbqandbeer

bbqandbeer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

for ticks, I have a tick tool I got somewhere (academy I think). I just searched and it looks like a few companies make them under the name

tick key
tickedoff
ticktwister

here is one of them .. http://www.amazon.co...D/dp/B001HRLYQ4

Cant beat it.

I will still use fingernail polish for chiggers.

and what geocacher doesn't have an aveeno hydrocortisone tube or two? (I really do think it works better than generic hydrocortizone on itchies).

#16 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Jeez, I don't know what works on chiggers. I've tried itch cream, spray, gel, chigger X, diluted bleach spray... all provide only temporary relief from the itchy, drive you crazy feeling.
Flying yesterday, I visited the restroom and was surprised to find that my bites were going away. I was so excited (due to the cabin pressure??)!! Then last evening, I began itching again, only to find out that it was no miracle to which I had experienced. After one whole week of living with the after affects of chiggers, I was/am still living in this itchy, scratchy, bumpy hell. ARGH!
Posted Image

#17 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

oh and I used fingernail poish last time. Not on this go-around.
Posted Image

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Final chigger count after visiting Village Creek State Park... wait for it... 53! I was liberally coated in bug spray too and wearing shorts. The area where I most likely got them was deep down the trail and my Bride stayed on the trail - GC2FBAD Troop 483 Eagle Sean.

I tried a new rememdy this time and it's messy, but appears to arrest the itch for a good solid 4 hours - olive oil and turmeric. It will stain skin and clothes, a sickly yellow. I have 26 on the inside of my left ankle and the rest are scattered between both ankle areas.

I guess my hiking socks blocked the repellent, as I didn't get any on my legs. I think the next time I go out, I'll rub vasoline on my lower legs and feet to create a barrier, then spray like before. Danged things itched so bad the second two nights, I was rubbing in ChiggerEx every hour until I tried the olive oil and turmeric. Slept terrible. Two applications of the concoction in 24 hours brought it under control. Last night I came in from work and scrubbed the areas real well and put one final application of ChiggerEx on and I'm good to go today.

To me, chiggers are the worst of the worst. Maybe I will get some sulfer and dust my socks and legs, as this is truly the only real deterrent.

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I think you should retire and work for as a bug spray tester as chiggers seem to really like you.

Posted Image

#20 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Final chigger count after visiting Village Creek State Park... wait for it... 53! I was liberally coated in bug spray too and wearing shorts. The area where I most likely got them was deep down the trail and my Bride stayed on the trail - GC2FBAD Troop 483 Eagle Sean.

I tried a new rememdy this time and it's messy, but appears to arrest the itch for a good solid 4 hours - olive oil and turmeric. It will stain skin and clothes, a sickly yellow. I have 26 on the inside of my left ankle and the rest are scattered between both ankle areas.

I guess my hiking socks blocked the repellent, as I didn't get any on my legs. I think the next time I go out, I'll rub vasoline on my lower legs and feet to create a barrier, then spray like before. Danged things itched so bad the second two nights, I was rubbing in ChiggerEx every hour until I tried the olive oil and turmeric. Slept terrible. Two applications of the concoction in 24 hours brought it under control. Last night I came in from work and scrubbed the areas real well and put one final application of ChiggerEx on and I'm good to go today.

To me, chiggers are the worst of the worst. Maybe I will get some sulfer and dust my socks and legs, as this is truly the only real deterrent.

I think you should retire and work for as a bug spray tester as chiggers seem to really like you.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users