54 replies to this topic

#21 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

the thing with the pink is that it is super bright and while we are bushwacking in the challenge or just passing other people on the trails it is visible from quite a distance and u can definetly see your team mates extremely easy thats the best thing about it in my book.

O0 O0
Posted Image

#22 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

From what I've heard, early on at the Texas Challenge someone came up with the idea of cheesy pink flamingos just to help identify which campsite belonged to SETX cachers. I guess it was more just the Houston area back then? It wasn't until a few years ago (2007?) that flamingos got incorporated into a mascot. I believe the pink bandanas debuted in 2010. I hope they would still live on as campsite decor, especially since I sunk like $20 into the plastic birds this year!

As far as a competition mascot, Gators are fine with me. We did chose that as the artwork for the '07 Challenge at Brazos Bend.

I do think the Flamin' Gator was funny, though.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#23 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

the thing with the pink is that it is super bright and while we are bushwacking in the challenge or just passing other people on the trails it is visible from quite a distance and u can definetly see your team mates extremely easy thats the best thing about it in my book.

O0 O0

Pink is not my favorite color to wear in everyday life, but i have to say that i think it works out pretty well when worn at our challenges. It does indeed stand out from a distance and makes it easy to spot fellow team mates on the trail. Maybe we could take a step back in time, maybe the 70s, and everyone wear hot pink leisure suits,,, :peace:

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Ooooo, I could be Leisure Suit Larry!
  • TravelingGeek, GeoGeex and zippertiff like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Ooooo, I could be Leisure Suit Larry!

For this you lose your Anti-Geek status!

#26 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

From what I've heard, early on at the Texas Challenge someone came up with the idea of cheesy pink flamingos just to help identify which campsite belonged to SETX cachers. I guess it was more just the Houston area back then? It wasn't until a few years ago (2007?) that flamingos got incorporated into a mascot. I believe the pink bandanas debuted in 2010. I hope they would still live on as campsite decor, especially since I sunk like $20 into the plastic birds this year!

As far as a competition mascot, Gators are fine with me. We did chose that as the artwork for the '07 Challenge at Brazos Bend.

I do think the Flamin' Gator was funny, though.

Thanks for the background, HC. Since only 3 of the six right wings actually turned on my newly acquired flamingos... I'm returning the whole lot of them for a full refund.

I do like the brightness of Pink. That would also work for Red or Neon Green or Yellow.
I like 'gators.
I do NOT like light colored t-shirts.
I do NOT like white or beige t-shirts.

So... I nominate a Dark Green Alligator as the mascot and and a t-shirt color in the High Visibility variety. I would also suggest using Cafe Press or something that would let us print the official logo on what ever item we want. personaly I like long sleeve technical shirts so I don't have to futz with sun block. Others will want hats, or whatever.
Posted Image

#27 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

I am interested in seeing more concepts from the creative types just to be sure we're not leaving anything on the table hastily.
Perhaps even a contest of some sort!

The high vis color is awesome, neon pink or whatever is very useful on the trails or when group is approaching, etc.
Definitely like the flamingo's role as campsite identifier, and see no reason to retire it for that or other purposes, even a flamingo flag is cool for that.
Now that I have the ink, you guys wanna nuke the FlaminGator ? Man, fickle bunch :) if we keep it, I'd like to lobby hard for the correct pronunciation...;)
I was jealous of the pirate Argh's all weekend, up until I was forced to stuff a cache in their pie hole...(kidding but the thought did occur to me)

I am really hoping others weigh in on this. Lots of others. Come on you lurkers, be heard. This is your team too!

I would love to see a light vest design or two that could have the new whatchamacallit on the back and maybe our caching name, etc on one of then front sides. Mesh vests or light vest look good and they can have pocketses for tool or swag hoarders ( or concealed carry)

Ooh, I wonder if Project Runway would be interested in...never mind.

Whatever we come up with, well need to stick with it for awhile, since there's only so many more good body locations left for more ink! :D removal is not a good option, I'm told.

Okay, that's me for now until someone says something that causes more reaction.

Edited by KeyResults, 13 March 2012 - 12:39 AM.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#28 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

I like the idea of keeping the flamingos for campsite fun and recognition. Gators can be kept to the "platoon" of SETX Gang. As for a MASCOT... still thinking on that one.

Just my .02

#29 GeoGeex

GeoGeex

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationBeach City, Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

I prefer a chartreuse color instead of pink and it's highly visible as well while still having the "greenish" color that symbolizes nature. As for the mascot, I like the alligator. Someone mentioned on the SETX page, a "skeeter", which would also seem fitting. When a NTX pirate says "Argh" you can just say "ZZZZZ" back. LOL! Or we could go with the trusty cottonmouth, it would make some really cool logos with the fangs dripping venom. "SSSS".
  • CriffRee likes this
Posted Image

#30 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

The flamingos have been around for just about as long as I can remember for SETX for our Texas Challenge mascot. As for being inclusive there were Beaumont area cachers (ie. Babslover and her daughter come to mind) early on in the SETX team even before I got involved, which was late 2002 (my first challenge was 2004). I know that ones like Mudfrog, Chicken, BizzyB, Spair Tire, and Woodpicker and Skipbo were competiing with us before there was even a SETX Gang. I have always considered them part of our SETX group and their SETX Gang was only for local identification. As far as I'm concerned there are only 2 mascots that are widely recognized by others at the Texas Challenge by the other teams and that's the Pirates of North Texas and the flamingos of SETX. I'd hate to be starting over with a new mascot unless we come up with something that could really top the pirates. The pirates is a fun mascot because of the Arrr aspect. The pink that goes well with the flamingos is easily visible on the trails as long as it's not being covered up due to the rain like this year. That was one thing that really wasn't pushed enough this year to get everyone buying into wearing the identifying colors. It was not as prevalent as it was the last 2 years since Georeyna started the bandanas. Other bright colors have been mentioned which would be fine except you may end up picking something that has been chosen as an identifiying color of one of the other teams. I think the pink has been around long enough that the other teams will stay away from it knowing that SETX uses it. One of the other teams used a flourescent yellow one year and it was great for seeing them.
Posted Image

#31 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

The flamingos have been around for just about as long as I can remember for SETX for our Texas Challenge mascot. As for being inclusive there were Beaumont area cachers (ie. Babslover and her daughter come to mind) early on in the SETX team even before I got involved, which was late 2002 (my first challenge was 2004). I know that ones like Mudfrog, Chicken, BizzyB, Spair Tire, and Woodpicker and Skipbo were competiing with us before there was even a SETX Gang. I have always considered them part of our SETX group and their SETX Gang was only for local identification. As far as I'm concerned there are only 2 mascots that are widely recognized by others at the Texas Challenge by the other teams and that's the Pirates of North Texas and the flamingos of SETX. I'd hate to be starting over with a new mascot unless we come up with something that could really top the pirates. The pirates is a fun mascot because of the Arrr aspect. The pink that goes well with the flamingos is easily visible on the trails as long as it's not being covered up due to the rain like this year. That was one thing that really wasn't pushed enough this year to get everyone buying into wearing the identifying colors. It was not as prevalent as it was the last 2 years since Georeyna started the bandanas. Other bright colors have been mentioned which would be fine except you may end up picking something that has been chosen as an identifiying color of one of the other teams. I think the pink has been around long enough that the other teams will stay away from it knowing that SETX uses it. One of the other teams used a flourescent yellow one year and it was great for seeing them.

This post is entirely too long. I almost ran over a kid trying to read the whole thing!

#32 Cachin Shark

Cachin Shark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Location77450, Katy Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

I prefer a chartreuse color instead of pink and it's highly visible as well while still having the "greenish" color that symbolizes nature. As for the mascot, I like the alligator. Someone mentioned on the SETX page, a "skeeter", which would also seem fitting. When a NTX pirate says "Argh" you can just say "ZZZZZ" back. LOL! Or we could go with the trusty cottonmouth, it would make some really cool logos with the fangs dripping venom. "SSSS".

sounds perfect! although maybe we should keep the pink.. maybe make it Razzle Dazzle Rose which tends more towards magenta. Either animal would be great but we could also be the wild hogs! We have plenty we could even use a live mascot!

#33 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'm think Ninja Flamingos. If turtles can do it, why can't we?

Posted Image
  • Cachin Shark likes this
Posted Image

#34 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

I must admit you guys really have my imagination running wild right now...keep it going. Hmmm, Cotton Mouth, Tree, Cache Container, and Log...hmmm, We could almost use a photo of Muddy Buddies "S-02" from the Texas Series :) Colorized of course.

There are so many that have made this whole game possible and fun for me that are unlikely to see any of this. Prolly for many of you too depending on where you live. I'd sure like to pay homage to OSC, DAVARLE, ATMA, MB, PAPPYS POSSE, RAVEN, MAXWELLS HAMMER, Kirbydox, Rich & Lola, and on and on. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for them and I've never met most of these folks. I do appreciate the desire to have an identity refresh, but I REALLY REALLY want to somehow be respectful of the trailblazers before us.

As for the history lessons, I for one want them, and appreciate them. It helps me feel some connection with those who've left us, or burned out, moved away, or whatever. We newbies still sign their logs! After all, at the end of the day, Rich or Poor, Blue Collar or White, Fat or Skinny, Tall or Short, Smart or Stu...never mind, we are all GeoCachers.

I feel a little like Bluto :) but I am sincere. Hey there's an idea...
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#35 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Like Mrs. MB said, the pink flamingo as a mascot for SETX goes way back to the beginnings of the Texas Challenge.
USMorrows started that trend. It was intended to be something snappy to say that SETX "caches with class". How they associated pink flamingos with class, I don't know, but it seemed to catch on. Through the years, the pink flamingo became the identifyer for SETX campsites. It's still a great way to find the home team.
True, that most of the old-timers don't cache anymore, but I'm for sticking with the tradition.

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 14 March 2012 - 05:59 AM.

Posted Image

#36 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

YUP, the Pink Flamingo has been the SETX Mascot for around 6 years now. Michelle ( smarter half of Cherokeecacher) and Francis(USMorrows) had the idea for the 3rd Texas Challenge as an easy way for SETX Teammates to find each other AND, for the first year, drive the other teams NUTS trying to figure out what they meant. IT WORKED ;D

I'm not a fan of the flamingo however I do like flamenco.
I've learned to live with it.

I'm neutral on whether or not it's changed.

If it is changed though I would to see us stick with something that has a positive image and reflects are character.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of North Texas and their Pirate theme couldn't be more fitting.

Just something to think about.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#37 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'll vote to stick with the pink and the flamin gator. It comes up once a year, is a very small deal and I like the history of it.

#38 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

I think what every we do, change the mascot or not. I would like to see our team in t-shirts and really embracing the mascot. I actually googled flamingo mascot and you could actually work with it. I would like a chartreuse tee with a flamingo. Our colors can be lime green and pink.

#39 GeoGeex

GeoGeex

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationBeach City, Texas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

FEAR THE FLAMINGO!

http://www.clipartsu...go-clipart.html

I'm sure the flamingo was cute and funny at one time but the it really has nothing to do with SETX. Well, unless you go see one at the zoo I guess. It's not like we have an abundance of actual flamingos. It was probably only picked because of the bright pink color and the readily available yard stick figures. I kind of think the mascot should represent who we are, but that's just my opinion.
Posted Image

#40 TerraTrekkers

TerraTrekkers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

Accually, Snoogans came up with it. He likes John Waters movies and he had access to a bunch of pink flamingos to mark our camp sites at the first challenge. It was really cool seeing flamingos everywhere. It sure did set us apart from everyone else!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069089/

Jim

Edited by TerraTrekkers, 14 March 2012 - 05:05 AM.

" Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " Laurel and Hardy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users