65 replies to this topic

#21 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Another thank you to our leader gsguru and our very own computer geek cew(s) - those who gathered gps units, loaded 'em, distributed 'em, worked on puzzles, sent messages.... sooo many people participated in large and small ways, that we couldn't have brought home the can without the help.
MoS - you rock!!
My team mates - Dangerman and KeyResults - Thanks for the laughs. Guess I'm not too old to still climb trees and crawl around in the mud. :-) I think we did pretty well, even though we were wet and cold, just like everyone else out there. I'll hunt with you guys anytime!!
  • CriffRee likes this
Posted Image

#22 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

gsguru - how about an event to distribute the score cards, show off and let the teams take a photo with the Golden Ammo Can?
  • Cachin Shark likes this
Posted Image

#23 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yea!! WTG y'all!! O0
There is no adventure without risk.

#24 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

I thought SETX was awesome! Great job by everyone, especially in the cold and the rain.

I also got a kick out of the East Texas team getting second. So basically, all of EASTERN Texas dominated the game!

#25 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

The scorecards will be mailed a week from Monday. Planning on a couple of events to pass out cards as well as take pics with the ammo can....

Hey, does anyone have an extra unactivated tb??

#26 stirfrie2005

stirfrie2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

I had so much fun!! Everyone was awesome and cached like mad people! Despite the crappy day that was today (read the post by thacatfish), I had an awesome time this weekend!

#27 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

ALL CONGRATS We Won!

Great Job Team Captain!
Great Job Hunters!
Great Job Puzzlers!
Great Job Supporters!

Super Duper Double Great Job MOS and your apprentices!

And special thanks to the tech/geek team for making this hunt so much fun for me even though I didn't hunt. :) Thanks Jason, Anthony, Drew, Rick, and HC! Good Times!
  • CriffRee likes this
Posted Image

#28 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

ALL CONGRATS We Won!

Great Job Team Captain!
Great Job Hunters!
Great Job Puzzlers!
Great Job Supporters!

Super Duper Double Great Job MOS and your apprentices!

And special thanks to the tech/geek team for making this hunt so much fun for me even though I didn't hunt. :) Thanks Jason, Anthony, Drew, Rick, and HC! Good Times!

ditto

#29 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,374 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

It was good to actually have a true geek team this year.
Posted Image

#30 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

I was the only anti-geek of the tech/geek team. The first GPSr I loaded I kinda screwed up and had to get T4P to fix it for me. After that, it went OK though.

Improvement idea for next year: Plug one of every type of GPSr you're going to load into your laptop before the memory stick arrives, so the PC can install the needed drivers for them. Even though I was only loading Garmins, every time I plugged in an Oregon or Etrex or something other than one I own, it took it a minute or so to install the drivers. But then (to quote MAES) that's why I'm a stick-shift driver of the PC!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#31 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Did anyone catch where the 2013 Texas Challenge was going to be held? I think they say it will be April 4th or 5th or 6th... not sure what they meant by that. The 4th is a Thursday.
Posted Image

#32 zippertiff

zippertiff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBeaumont, TX

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

South Texas will host the next challenge at Port Aransas. They weren't positive on the dates, but the ranges they gave were at the beginning of April.

#33 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Did anyone catch where the 2013 Texas Challenge was going to be held? I think they say it will be April 4th or 5th or 6th... not sure what they meant by that. The 4th is a Thursday.

Pretty sure the Texas Challenge event will be April 6, 2013. They said in Port Aransas but did not give a specific park or location.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Pretty sure the Texas Challenge event will be April 6, 2013. They said in Port Aransas but did not give a specific park or location.

I heard from someone close to the source that it was going to be an urban event. Possibly based out of the civic center.
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#35 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

I get the feeling that they're looking for an event "Headquarters" that is indoors in a permanent building, like a civic center. We had that at the 2009 event in Fredericksburg and it sure worked well for the dining, silent auction, and all the other stuff that goes on around the competition. Outdoors, even if under a covered pavilion, you're at the mercy of the elements. We had the nice tent this year (that they got at the last minute) but is was pretty much a muddy mess underneath by the time it was all over.

I enjoyed the 2009 format and wouldn't mind if we did that again.
  • TravelingGeek likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#36 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Went looking for my Mega souvenir and did not see it. The event total is at about 370 and the rate is slowing. May have to get an account for Pat to help the cause.

Did anyone take any pictures of the victorious, winning victors who came in first?

Edited by bbqbob2, 12 March 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#37 stirfrie2005

stirfrie2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Is there a state park in Port A?

#38 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

an event "Headquarters" that is indoors in a permanent building,

O0 O0 O0 O0
Posted Image

#39 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Is there a state park in Port A?

Mustang Island State Park is located in Port Aransas.

http://www.tpwd.stat...mustang_island/
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#40 Dangerman&3olivz

Dangerman&3olivz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

What a great event. Nice job gsguru for leading this awesome team of cachers. And cudos to everyone in the tech tent for getting the caches on the GPSs so quickly. Having the projector there showing the park and all of the caches was a stroke of genious. We were able to quickly see the clusters of caches, pick the route we wanted to take, and off we went.

Dangerman was honored to cache with 2Katz and KeyResults. These two folks can sure move swiftly through the woods, are experts at their technology, and have a keen eye to spot hides. My favorite was the tree climbing. I was thrilled to 1) remember how to make it up a tree, and 2) and more importantly, how to make it safely back down. It would have very embarrassing to fall out of a tree in front of friends.

3Olivz cached with Eureka1, GrannySmiley, and Team_Red_J, including Team_Red_J's awesome grandson Erik. That group made 21 finds while having a great time.!!! The weekend was wonderful, and the rain will just make for great stories.

It will be sweet to get to an event and sign the Golden Ammo Can. And we can't wait for next year. Where do we sign up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users