• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hey spywall, anytime you want to put one of those custom guitar pics in one of my caches, you are totally welcome!!! :coolsmiley:

Also, I will PM you sometime about going on the bike, the good, bad and ugly of motorcycle caching.

#22 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm new at this and haven't really gotten all of the abbreviations and jargon down completely. I think TNLN is "take nothing, leave nothing" correct? I've only found 2 caches so far and the intent is to go locally with my kids while hitting others around the country & world while I'm at work. I'm in the music business & have custom guitar pics that I have made... I figured it'd be kind of a signature thing to do... are there others that leave the same type of signature?

This should help with the jargon - http://geolex.locusprime.net/

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#23 spywall

spywall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hey spywall, anytime you want to put one of those custom guitar pics in one of my caches, you are totally welcome!!! :coolsmiley:

Also, I will PM you sometime about going on the bike, the good, bad and ugly of motorcycle caching.

Cool! Thanks! Let me know where one of your caches is located and I'll try to get to it before too long...

#24 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Sadly, we live in Katy, so most of our caches are pretty far from you. However we dock our sailboat at Kemah and have two caches nearby. One is a puzzle (GC1FZH0) that is pretty easy to solve, and the other is Misdirection (GC291RV), which is just the right size and shape for a guitar pic, but some find it hard to find. Luckily for you, I am just a PM away and would be glad to help!!! Let me know when you might be in the area... O0

#25 jhuoni

jhuoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlvin, TX

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

I learned long ago not to try to control the habits of other cachers.

I wish I could have learned that lesson SOONER. And I still have the tendency to shove BOTH of my FEET into MY MOUTH. 8)
Posted Image Posted Image

#26 spywall

spywall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Sadly, we live in Katy, so most of our caches are pretty far from you. However we dock our sailboat at Kemah and have two caches nearby. One is a puzzle (GC1FZH0) that is pretty easy to solve, and the other is Misdirection (GC291RV), which is just the right size and shape for a guitar pic, but some find it hard to find. Luckily for you, I am just a PM away and would be glad to help!!! Let me know when you might be in the area... O0

ohhh... Sailboat!!! NICE!!! I'll probably head out Thursday or Friday afternoon... Katy isn't necessarily too far... I'm in this for the adventure and that's what the motorbike is for! I'll hit you up if I have any issues in Kemah. I ride over there once a week or so just because I love to be near the sea. CHEERS!

#27 jhuoni

jhuoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlvin, TX

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I guess I will throw in my DOLLARS worth on this subject, and even a few others that happen to get slipped in.

SWAG - Stuff We All Get. I try to find unique items, or at least cool things that I haven't seen in the area. I have a small stash of items that I put out when a cache is large enough for them. I even have some pill fobs (complete with log), which I will occasionally put out as Cache Seeds.
Oh, back to SWAG... I have seen quite a few items which rate at the bottom of the scale. I have also left some really un-chacheman like notes in the log.

Check out http://coord.info/GC143BB - Commerces Free Parking, note dated 12/24/11. Taco Bell packets set me off on that one. I also make it a point to REMOVE rusty, moldy, or nasty swag. No one wants a troll doll with mossy hair.

Another common found SWAG where I used to cache, TN and VA, is a ROUGH RIDER CONDOM. Hows that for family friendly?

Since I have a captive audience, why do people leave MONEY in caches? I could understand if it was a Mercury Dime, or a 1943 Stainless Penny. But a 2005 quarter, is there something special about that? If there is why not put that in the log?

Speaking of logs - on GC.com - I am a long winded sort, and I like to tell all about my trip to a cache. It really rubs me wrong to see: TFTC, as the only information. It would be nice to let the next cacher know the log is completely full or is a mush of wet paper. I read the log notes, usually, before I go after a cache.

Well, I think I spent more than a dollar on this one. Sorry if I offended anyone. But it is always fun to let off a bit of caching anxiety once in a while.

I'll keep on leaving the SWAG, hopefully someone will enjoy it.

#28 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Frankly I'd prefer a TNLN than a penny.

OK. None of my pennies for you.... And I was under the impression that folks liked my pennies. :disappoint:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • jhuoni likes this

#29 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Since I have a captive audience, why do people leave MONEY in caches? I could understand if it was a Mercury Dime, or a 1943 Stainless Penny. But a 2005 quarter, is there something special about that? If there is why not put that in the log?

Perhaps they wanted to trade for something in the cache and that's all they had. At times I may leave something nice in the cache but I do not mention it to prevent someone from just raiding the cache for that item.

Speaking of logs - on GC.com - I am a long winded sort, and I like to tell all about my trip to a cache. It really rubs me wrong to see: TFTC, as the only information. It would be nice to let the next cacher know the log is completely full or is a mush of wet paper. I read the log notes, usually, before I go after a cache.

I do approciate people commneting on the cache status. Often people go a cache runs and it is difficult to remember every cache. That being said I think rule 1 of not trying to control other cachers still applies.
Posted Image

#30 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I usually attempt to put something into all the logs. If it is a series like the presidents series or the murder mystery series I will usually tell the full story at one key cache (either beginning or end) and then do a short entry for the rest.

Eagle
Posted Image

#31 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

I usually attempt to put something into all the logs. If it is a series like the presidents series or the murder mystery series I will usually tell the full story at one key cache (either beginning or end) and then do a short entry for the rest.

Eagle

What would you do on that series in Nevada with over 1000 caches?
Posted Image

#32 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Cache #1 would get "Thanks for the Great Series", the rest would get "Ditto",
except for #703, which was really well thought out and creative.

#33 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Cache #1 would get "Thanks for the Great Series", the rest would get "Ditto",
except for #703, which was really well thought out and creative.

HAHAHAHA i totally agree with bob on this one

#34 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm new at this and haven't really gotten all of the abbreviations and jargon down completely. I think TNLN is "take nothing, leave nothing" correct? I've only found 2 caches so far and the intent is to go locally with my kids while hitting others around the country & world while I'm at work. I'm in the music business & have custom guitar pics that I have made... I figured it'd be kind of a signature thing to do... are there others that leave the same type of signature?

I think custom guitar picks would be a pretty cool signature item to leave. A number of people leave signature items for people to collect. Pathtags (found at pathtags.com) are one way that a number of people around here make a custom coin to drop into caches (and swap/trade with other pathtag owners)

#35 jhuoni

jhuoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlvin, TX

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Frankly I'd prefer a TNLN than a penny.

OK. None of my pennies for you.... And I was under the impression that folks liked my pennies. :disappoint:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sir,

I will place a cache where ever you wish, provided you leave me some of YOUR PENNIES!

On a more serious note, WHERE did you get THOSE? I am an Elongated Coin freak, and those would really be a nice addition to my collection!

#36 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Sir,

I will place a cache where ever you wish, provided you leave me some of YOUR PENNIES!

On a more serious note, WHERE did you get THOSE? I am an Elongated Coin freak, and those would really be a nice addition to my collection!

I have my own machine + 12 dies & 2 backside dies.

You don't need to hide a cache for me. Just come to any event that I'm going to be at and I'll give you some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users