7 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Saturday, while working the Baytown Nature Center, a group of us stumbled onto a brass disc that looked very similar to a USGS Brass Disc Benchmark. Anyway, we recorded the info and took photos. After a little hunting I found the data sheet on it along with a database of all the others in Harris County.

It turns out these are special Floodplain Reference Marks. The one we found, is 070065 and it was established in 2002 related to Hurricane Allison Recovery.

For anyone interested in any of this, here's some links It's very thorough info for those who might want to chase down these important waypoints. Keep in mind these are active benchmarks and it's against the law to tamper with them in any way. Enjoy.

http://hcedweb3.eng....mark/viewer.htm - There's a bunch of these suckers! Below is the one found at BNC.

http://hcedweb3.eng....ceMarkID=070065

http://hcedweb3.eng....ceMarkID=070065

K

• 2katz likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Loggable? I like finding benchmarks, but too many are un-loggable.

#3 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well, I believe so, though I haven't tried yet. Apparently discs after year 2000 are too new to be in the database acquired by GC.com. According the site these would be logged with photos under US Benchmarks.

The thing is these are so new and well documented perhaps finding them isn't as challenging or exciting as uncovering and old disc buried under 12 inches of sod located directly under a muny airport searchlight tower. Still, they are real benchmarks, and I believe they are very suited to being hunted down and logged.

It took quite a bit of digging to find who exactly put the brass disc out that we found quite by accident. The PIDs or datasheets are impeccable - complete with photos and very good descriptions. It's tempting to send the link to the database to ?? for inclusion as I believe these recovered reference marks are Bluebooked based on NOAA/NGS website description.

If nothing else they might be fun to find in your own neighborhood just for grins. :D
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#4 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

I do enjoy finding them, particularly the older ones. The datasheets tend to give a glimpse into the past. References to farms, gates and such. My oldest to log is on the capital grounds at the State of Texas... Its the original benchmark used to stake out Austin. I know of (but have not done) the original Benchmark in DC (Kirbydox was telling me about it). Sounds interesting.

#5 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Finally found this post and can log my benchmark from February during our Baytown Nature Center outing - dangerman&3olivz and KeyResults. I looked in Waymarks, Benchmarks, GC.com... and came up empty. Thanks for the info. KR!!!
Posted Image

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I've really gotten into benchmark hunting recently (again), but the database on GC.com is woefully out of date... not to mention you can't download PQ's for benchmarks. Some inquiries on the GC.com Benchmarking forums led me to this site: http://www.holoscene...ds_archive.html You can download benchmark GPX zip files by county and the logs are up-to-date!

I recently discovered that the San Jacinto Monument is listed as a benchmark.

Speaking of the Baytown Nature Center, there is a benchmark there placed in 1993 called SUNK (lol) that I've tried to find, but couldn't. The description says, "THE STATION IS AN NOS ALUMINUM DISK WITH A BAR MAGNET UNDER ITS CAP AND ATTACHED TO AN ALUMINUM ROD DRIVEN 1.2 M (3.9 FT) INTO THE GROUND AND SURROUNDED BY A ROUND CONCRETE MONUMENT". If it's still there, perhaps if I went out with a metal washer on a string, I could find the magnet.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Use this to find benchmarks. When you pull them up, there is a link on the info that takes you straight to the gc.com BM page where you can log.

http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/
Posted Image

#8 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Saw the post by KR, but still can't seem to log it. :what???:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic