51 replies to this topic

#1 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

why cant we have a discussion on here between people without it being shutdown by the powers that be. its not up to any one person what can be said or discussed on here. i mean come on there was no blatant cussing going on or anything. yes there were arguments but who really cares. that happens with anyone. but you just decide that because you dont like it that you are shutting it down? you are not the only cacher in the city of houston and i know for a fact that alot of people have donated alot of money to this site to make it run. i myself have donated quite a bit. yet you think that you hold the sole power to control any and every conversation on this site. i think that that is alot of BS.

#2 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Wow, I am shocked.... :startled:

#3 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

why cant we have a discussion on here between people without it being shutdown by the powers that be. its not up to any one person what can be said or discussed on here. i mean come on there was no blatant cussing going on or anything. yes there were arguments but who really cares. that happens with anyone. but you just decide that because you dont like it that you are shutting it down? you are not the only cacher in the city of houston and i know for a fact that alot of people have donated alot of money to this site to make it run. i myself have donated quite a bit. yet you think that you hold the sole power to control any and every conversation on this site. i think that that is alot of BS.

Stop catfish...think...we are arguing over something that is sooooo not worth it. Someone created the explosive thread, we are just the fall out of the game. Let it be. Not worth kicking the hornets nest.

#4 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Stop catfish...think...we are arguing over something that is sooooo not worth it. Someone created the event, we are just the fall out of the game. Let it be.

doesnt matter that we are arguing. im fine with that. im mad that it gets shut down because 1 person thought that it wasnt ok. everyone argues thats part of life and everyone gets over it. that doesnt bother me at all.

#5 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

You don't know that it was only 1 person that caused it to be shut down. at the bottom of every comment is a button to quote, but there is also a button to report, this button can be used by anyone reading the comment to alert the moderator(s) that there is something that should in their opinion be looked at. After that it is up to the moderator to decide on a course of action. In this case it was decided that the conversation was not in the spirit that was wanted on this forum, the decision was to stop the negativity. From what I can see no one was called out, the thread was just locked to stop the negativity.

#6 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

It was mean spirited banter that was turning personal rather quickly. I believe most folks don't want that here. I know I don't.

For the record I've only asked for donations when I was unemployed and needed to cover the cost of hosting HGCS.
All other times were for other folks hosting events or to cover rental cost of group halls for such events.

I will happily return your donation next time I see you.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#7 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Did anyone ask u? It wasn't in the spirit of this forum? Where the he double hockey sticks is it written what the spirit of this forum is. The spirit of it is talking about geocaching and that's exactly what we were doing. Nobody was being extremely rude or anything and u weren't even part of that convo so stay out of it if u don't know what Ur talking about

#8 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Actually I did reply to the thread saying that it was rather subjective.

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#9 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

I do not want my money back Jason. I want to be able to talk about what we want to without it being shut down. Nothing hardly bad was said and it was decided to be shut down. I have noproblem withu or anything. I think we should be able to talk about what we all want to though. This is Houston geocaching society overall not 2 moderators geocaching society. Right?

#10 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Y first reply was to promed not u Jason. Sorry if it confused u I was typing while Ur reply was posted

#11 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

I thought the initial post was somewhat mean spirited. I've read on here somewhere that personal attacks are not allowed. I don't remember where, but it's here somewhere. When I replied that I thought it was a bit of a personal attack and outside the bounds of this forum, I was told, darn tootin it's personal (I'm paraphrasing). I never reported anything, but apparently somebody did. I think it's a good discussion handled in a poor way. There's no need to point out specific caches or cache owners and say that they are lame. Everyone plays differently. Do I appreciate better caches? Yes. Do I wish they were all good? Yes. Have I had a good time finding lame caches also? Yes. Have I not had a good time finding lame caches? Yes.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't do it. But there's no need to call others out.

#12 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Y first reply was to promed not u Jason. Sorry if it confused u I was typing while Ur reply was posted

My post was as a way of explaining "my opinion" of what may have happened in this situation. I am not nor have I ever been a moderator on this forum, I in no way meant to cause any friction for the moderators or administrator of this forum. What I did was explain from my experience how these situations might be handled, (I host and administer the SETX Gang forum). As for my not being a part of the conversation, I believe if you reread the thread you will see that I had posted in it. I am sorry that I felt that in this open forum that my opinion might be welcome, I will from this point forward wait until one of the paying customers specificly gives me permission before posting and then only if it meets your approval. Because it is apparant that only your opinion is valid, and all others will be put down as unimportant and wrong.

#13 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Oh No it's a setx gang moderator man got the night boys coming in. Man what will we do now. Maybe if u continue to just talk louder than anyone in the room that will continue to make u important. Hah yeaa

#14 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

...and here we are again.

I don't want to lock threads or accounts but you guys are not giving me a lot of options here.

Help me help you.

#15 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Delete the posts that u don't like the conversation should still be able to be had though

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

What happened to "Where cachers speak friend"?

The last thing I want to see is this forum turn into something nasty-spirited like the big green forums. TFP is just doing his job as a moderator to keep things civil, and I for one appreciate it when he has to occasionally "nip it in the bud".
  • OneStepCloser, ohl hockey guy, GrangerFam and 1 other like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#17 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

The last thing I want to see is this forum turn into something nasty-spirited like the big green forums. TFP is just doing his job as a moderator to keep things civil, and I for one appreciate it when he has to occasionally "nip it in the bud".

#18 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Perfectly said HC
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

The facts (as I see them) is that the direction the thread was going it was going to have to get locked at some point. Might as well be earlier rather than later. Also Catfish (sorry I don't know your real name) the admin screen also comes with a "ban member" button, and on a lot of forums it would have already been used. Personally I think Jason is being far more patient than most in his situation.

Eagle
Posted Image

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

For $20 I'll hit someone with a shovel. First come first serve. :uglystupid2:

TXGA SETX Representative