14 replies to this topic

#1 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:49 PM

When I saw this I initially brushed it off, but now I'm thinking waymarking.com is crazy with a ton of potential for groundspeak to make a ton of money. I'm interested to see how commercial it becomes. I don't know what to think about it right now. :-\

Here is the site's FAQ
http://www.waymarkin...m/help/faq.aspx

What do you guys/gals think?

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#2 King of Fools

King of Fools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

Curious.  It seems they are abolishing the virtual cache and instead creating a virtual location catalog - created and maintained by the people who use the site.  Interesting concept.  Doesn't really reach out and grab me by the collar, but I'm busy enough with geo/terra caching and family and church and work.

I suppose if there were some very unique categories with fantastic locations - it might may an interesting tool when vacationing - for non cachers at least.  I really don't expect to many new premium members just because of this but I probably would have made the same assessment when geocaching.com went online.

#3 King of Fools

King of Fools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

Further Review:

The location of 30 McDonald's is not that useful (and MapSource already loads those into my gpsr), but WiFi locations is something that could be useful.  I suppose once WiFi providers get on board and pay groundspeak to load their entire location list...that would be handy - although that information is also already available at other places.

If I made it my life mission to log a visit at every listed McDonalds...I would become very fat indeed.  Caching is better exercise.

There is a benchmarks category but that is overlap with the caching site.  I also noticed a Fishing location category - but who in their right mind would list their favorite fishing spot.  Such things are best kept close to the vest.

#4 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:36 PM

Checked out waymarking this morning, not too excited about what I have seen. Just have to wait and see.

#5 JimmyEv

JimmyEv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

I checked this out.  Seems to have potential, especially in finding useful information when you're traveling.  Like 'Free Wi-Fi Sites' would be useful.  I also like the rating of the categories, the ability to filter categories by their rating, and the fact that the community gets to vote on categories to approve them; It isn't decided by some arbitrary 'approver.' But variations of these ideas seem vaguely familiar...

#6 Pepper

Pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationAlvin, Texas

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

Yeah I was looking at it yesterday and decided quickly it was not for me.  I have done only 1 locationless (Yellow Jeep) and it seems to me  one day his waymark data base will be worth lots of money. More power to him, but I think I will stay old school.  I'm sure Jeremy has been thinking long and hard about his new site.  I feel sure there are lots of cachers/waymarkers out there that are very excited about the new site.  Just my little 2 cents worth.

Pepper

#7 Team Texas Flash

Team Texas Flash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationBoerne, Texas

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

Took a quick look at it last night and as usual I was looking for what's wrong with it, and the only thing I could come up with is; in time I think it may get filled with junk like the nearest McDonald's. :o Well I'll give it a shot ... there are a few virtuals that I liked ... and I think everyone should know where the statue of Sam Houston is near Huntsville. So if the right category comes along I might add one or two. I don't think I'll ever submit a category ... that sounds too much like work.
TTF

#8 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

I like it. Finally, a way to share some of the coooool wilderness spots that I know. O0

#9 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:29 AM

Free Wi-Fi hotspots? Got one of those on my front porch >:D

#10 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

Actually, I think I like it. Just for fun, I decided to look at the aircraft crash sites and found a ton of them. This is probably a good medium for GPS users who really aren't that interested in caching. It's something to do on a rainy day or when it's so hot and humid the sweat starts dripping off of your face as soon as you take a step outside. If you're signed up on www.geocaching.com, you're already a member.

#11 jhuoni

jhuoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlvin, TX

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

I know that this is a long and probably forgotten subject, but I want to say a few things about Waymarking.

I think I have Five Waymarks and have visited another Sixteen. Check out these WayMarks:
http://www.waymarkin...9_Kerr_Hardware
http://www.waymarkin...en_Upping_Stone

On the positive side:
  • Waymarking takes you to places that you might not have ever known were right in you backyard, or a historical location you didn't know existed.
  • It allows you to list sites that you could never place a cache at, or even allows you to have a waymark in the same place as someone elses cache.
On the negative side:
  • Some people have taken advantage of the whole thing.
  • Listing every building along every street in town
  • Listing mutiple McDonalds and Pizza Huts.
  • WM's are devided into catagories and you have to place your WM's in catagories and sometimes the catagory "owners" can reject your WM becasue it doesn't "fit"
Waymarking is a pretty cool "sport". It's something the whole family can do with out much preparation.
Posted Image Posted Image

#12 pindroppers74

pindroppers74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Back in 2011 I logged a couple of waymarks. Late last year I looked at my waymarking profile and it showed that I didn't have any waymarks. I just tried to post 5 waymarks just now and the total still shows that I don't have any waymarks. Any one else having trouble? Is there an additional step after posting???

Posted Image

#13 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

I have 'found' a few waymarks and it doesn't show up in my stats anywhere, with the exception of the badges via GSAK. AND, this can only be completed by loading them and marking as found.  The waymarks do not pull over as an part of the .gpx and/or do the found logs.

They do show as found in the waymarking site, tho.

Posted Image

#14 pindroppers74

pindroppers74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Mine are not showing on the waymark site

Posted Image

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I've only logged a few, but they still show up. From the home page, scroll down the right side of the page and click on My Visits to see the one's you've logged. If you've ever created a waymark under an existing category, it will show up under My Waymarks.

Here's the one I created years ago: http://www.waymarkin...RV_Hancock_Hill

Edited by HoustonControl, 02 April 2013 - 03:45 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users