48 replies to this topic

#21 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Rich did a great job on his interview. So good that I am thinking of throwing the kids in the car one weekend and go see the museum. He seems like a pretty busy man not only running the museum but also taking care of his sick wife.

#22 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

We visited back in Sept of 2007, and I seem to remember he had completd about 760 seats. Now at 1002. He's been really busy.
Posted Image

#23 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

This sounds pretty cool. Perhaps we can get over during Spring Break. Thanks for sharing.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#24 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

They had a teaser on 11 but it must have been bumped because of somethng else. We were watching too and it didnt run.

#25 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

They had a teaser on 11 but it must have been bumped because of somethng else. We were watching too and it didnt run.

Probably the breaking news of the plane crash at that elementary school.

#26 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

i was just in san antonio last weekend and i had looked at the cache at the museum and wanted to try to get over to it. just ran out of time and didnt get to make it by, now i wish that i had. oh well i guess theres always next time.

#27 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

i was just in san antonio last weekend and i had looked at the cache at the museum and wanted to try to get over to it. just ran out of time and didnt get to make it by, now i wish that i had. oh well i guess theres always next time.

Plan for at least an hour. I could have easily spent 2 or more there, but it was hot and the Snooglet was getty fussy and hungry. Usually it's the Snoogstress complaining about the heat, but she was have just as much fun as I was.

#28 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

The day we visited Barney, Rhonda had talked on and off all day about wanting to go there. At the time, I didn’t really see a reason to go to a toilet seat museum and didn’t pay much attention to the subject. Since she navigates the caching direction we just "happened" to get into that area. Oh look Tim, we are near Barney's!
OK, let's go see what this is all about... Somewhere around 2 hours later we were leaving. It was a fascinating experience to say the least. Barney is a gem of a person.

#29 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

If there are any "artifacts" on display dedicated to the needle arts (esp. knitting and crochet) then I'll have a much easier time selling Mrs KeyResults. She tends to roll her eyes when a certain keyword [ _eo_ache ] is mentioned while travelling together. Have to look for win/win and sell it baby!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#30 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

If there are any "artifacts" on display dedicated to the needle arts (esp. knitting and crochet) then I'll have a much easier time selling Mrs KeyResults. She tends to roll her eyes when a certain keyword [ _eo_ache ] is mentioned while travelling together. Have to look for win/win and sell it baby!

hahah same on this side kenny. i normally gotta sell pretty hard on stopping. make it sound extremely interesting or a cool place or something

#31 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think there may be something like that and if there isn't, bring some samples of stuff and maybe he'll make one.

If your wife likes crafts then she will love Barney's museum.

Show her a few of the youtube videos.

My wife isn't keen on geocaching either, but she loved this stop. She would go back any time.

#32 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

My wife isn't keen on geocaching either, but she loved this stop. She would go back any time.

Same here. My wife saw a seat decorated for Torrejon AFB in Spain, where her father was stationed (and she lived) back in the '60's and was sold. She thought the place was pretty cool.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#33 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

There's such a variety of themes there that there's got to be something there for everyone. I thought it was an awesome place and would love to go back to take others to share it with them.
Posted Image

#34 NativTxn

NativTxn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSnook, TX

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

My son and I went by there in October. I could see our signature on the Geocaching seat #5 in the CNN video. That was my find #1001. We spent over an hour there and could have stayed longer very easily. This is definitely one of the gems you find by Geocaching. My birthday is on their anniversary (different year of course). I'm glad we made time for this after the Wooden Nickel museum virtual next to the Botanical Gardens.
If you hide it, they will come!

NativTxn (aka Denise Vajdak)
Southeast Texas Representative - TXGA
nativtxn@texasgeocaching.com

#35 The Hazelnuts

The Hazelnuts

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image
Sept 2008 - Barney with the kids and my parents - who thought I was crazy for taking them to a toilet seat museum but were so happy I brought them.

#36 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Nice photo. Your kids have sure grown up a lot since we last saw them.

#37 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

It was Awesome! Went in today and we were there for a good two hours. Amazing place and an Awesome person

#38 Latin Jeepsters

Latin Jeepsters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationleague city, tx.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

One of the most friendliest people you could meet. Visited the museum couple of years ago. A must for all.

#39 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Was out with some of the Gang this past November when we visited with Barney. Time was short but visiting the Museum

was definitely on my to do list. Bizzyb and i ended up breaking off from the rest of the pack and made this our last cache

for the day. Called Barney ahead of time and could tell over the phone that he was an awesom person who we'd enjoy

visiting with. Arrived late afternoon and like others, didn't end up leaving until well after dark. This was one of those

experiences that you just hate to see end. It was great meeting him and seeing his unusual Museum!

Attached File  Bizzyb and i holding toilet seat 6 s.jpg   67.88KB   14 downloads

p.s. For some reason, i couldn't get the picture onto my reply so added it as the attachment above.

#40 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I signed Geocaching Seat #3 back in 2009.  Now he's up to #6!

fa9d3aab-180d-464c-b004-1271acb94541.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl, 28 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users