Photo

Anybody want to cache the elements power trail?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I would definitely try for as many caches as you can get for the challenge. Those other guys sound like a bunch of wimps. I got FTF on many of those caches.

The water level had not risen to its current height when you did the series. Some of the caches are now 150 ft out in about 12 inches of water.

Bring waders, or be prepared to not get them all, is all people are saying.
Maybe it will have dried up before March 12 or so. The recent rains have really flooded the place.

We would love to go with you but, like the others, will just be going back to work post-Challenge.

Really?

#22 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I still have to do Elements 1 - 30 and them I am done. The water may be lower by the time you arrive. There are constant hikers who check out GBP and they may be able to share with you the condition of the area by the time you arrive. If you were coming the following week, I would most definitely join you, but I am with the rest of the gang, *Spring Break and the *Texas Challenge* happening in Dallas.

The Elements isn't in GBP.
Posted Image

#23 sparkyfry

sparkyfry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the tips, everybody! I'm still planning on doing it; have booked my plane ticket with the extra day and everything. I'll have to think about what to do for footwear. I own a pair of hip boots, but they would be a pain to pack in my luggage, and also to carry around when I'm not walking into water. Maybe I'll buy a less extreme type of boot. Also, maybe I'll try to do it all and then call a cab to take me back to my car. :) I'd still be up for company, though, if anyone can't do the event and can take the day off of work. I do actually already have about 50 of the first 100 elements, so if there's one that's way out in the water, but I already have the element, I may pass on it.
Posted Image

#24 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

Maybe someone locally could loan some boots out.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

If you have the first 10 or so, I recommend starting at the North East side and working back. This will start you at element 99 and have you working down.

Eagle
Posted Image

#26 gadgetech

gadgetech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

You might try using a pair of these sock-foot waders: http://www.academy.c...=waders&Ntk=All
at $8.99 a pair, you could throw them away when you're done. All you need is some cheap tennis shoes to wear over them.

Dietrich
gadgetech

Posted Image

#27 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

You might try using a pair of these sock-foot waders: http://www.academy.c...=waders&Ntk=All
at $8.99 a pair, you could throw them away when you're done. All you need is some cheap tennis shoes to wear over them.

Dietrich

when i tried walking out ot some of them on monday when i was there the water got to about 12 inches deep when i stopped. thats as high as my boots went and i still had probably 80 plus foot to some of the caches and the water was definetly getting deeper. not sure at some points but the water was probably 2 to 3 foot deep at some of the caches out there.

#28 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Dietrich

I could have used those this weekend. We were on the Lone Star Trail in the area of the Four Cache Loop and find a crosing for Boswell Creek.

#29 sparkyfry

sparkyfry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

So how's the weather been? Has the trail dried out at all? Oddly enough, another Minnesota cacher is going to be in Texas at the same time as me, and she and I are planning to hit the elements series together. Anything we should be aware of that us northerners might not expect, e.g., rattlesnakes, water moccasins, etc?
Posted Image

#30 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

It rained a bit yesterday and more is predicted for today, with thunderstorms likely this weekend. If this happens, trails will be very wet come Monday. And yes, rattlesnakes are always an issue, although I've never had a caching encounter with a live one. Water moccasins are a concern where ever there is standing water. The main precaution is to carry a walking stick and make sure to use it first when poking around in hollows for containers.

#31 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Might also want waterproof footwear. The caches outside the level will be fine, but the ones inside are likely to be in standing water.

Eagle
Posted Image

#32 bbqandbeer

bbqandbeer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

I have cached that park quite a bit.

water moccasins aka cottonmouths will be the most common deadly snake you will encounter. You will see them as a brown snake with a triangularish head. They will frequently show their fangs and "white mouth" when they feel threatened thus the name cottonmouth. They are easy to not see in the woods.

the next most common snake would be copperheads. They are red/orange/brownish snakes that blend in very well with the forest trash - especially dead pine needles and downed logs.

Best advise for snakes in general - dont put your hands where you cannot see. Dont reach under fallen logs into dark spaces looking for a cache. Dont blindly grab into hollowed out tree chunks. Next best advice, watch where you are going. Pay attention to where you are putting your feet. Sometimes You may be close to stepping on one and just noticing it and going around is a simple thing. Third, I wouldn't advise trying to kill them or beat them with a stick. walk away, circle around is the best option.

--
as for other critters you may see.
mosquitoes will be the worst thing, go to a sportstore and get a deet spray like off or the like. I say a sportsstore and not a grocery store because you want the 40% deet variety like sportsmans max etc. raise your pants, spray your socks, then spray your jeans again - this will keep ticks and such off you as well. A snake stick is a good investment, alot of people use what looks like a skiing pole to me. Not only would it be good to encourage a snake to move on, its handy for whacking a bush out of the way, judging depth of water your unsure of, prodding around in rotten trees and bushes for container like items.

all of the above is something to think about, but really the dangers described are pretty low.

Your biggest danger in my opinion will be navigating parking and foot crossing highway 6, barker cypress or eldridge. Respect those roads and the people who drive insanely fast on them. Park in safe places and walk a bit further - not the shoulder on highway 6!

Good luck

#33 skippyp

skippyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

We're hoping this week sees minimal rain. After the One Cache Loop on the LSHT this coming frida, we were hoping to knock out the elements on Saturday. But MAn it poured hard here in Pearland. Wonder how long it takes the bayous and levee to reasonably drain?

#34 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

We're hoping this week sees minimal rain. After the One Cache Loop on the LSHT this coming frida, we were hoping to knock out the elements on Saturday. But MAn it poured hard here in Pearland. Wonder how long it takes the bayous and levee to reasonably drain?

It can be months, especially since it's still raining.
Posted Image

#35 Z_Malloc

Z_Malloc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

As the CO of the series, I can tell you all of the caches are tethered 4-6 feet high for the most part. I also think its a good idea (as someone said) to start at 99 and go backwards as thats the way the elevation runs down from. There has been a ton more rain this weekend out in the Bear Creek area of these caches, so I would probably say the caches are in even deeper water :( Currently there is a single cache missing out in the water that I have been waiting a month for the water to receed so I can go fix it. Thigh high waders might be in order :)
Sincerely,

Z_Malloc / Jeff Cruser

My parting thought of the day:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Posted Image

#36 skippyp

skippyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

one word: BOO

#37 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

one word: BOO

Were you able to go out there at all?
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#38 skippyp

skippyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

It 's this coming weekend we were going to try. Depends on how muich whining I get on the LSHT Friday! But I think you can bike on the levees (not on the lsht) so we may bring them along and just get a nice ride of the water is too much.

#39 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

regardless, rain boots will be in order if you try to do any of the series in the near future. it's going to be a muddy mess!
Posted Image

#40 sparkyfry

sparkyfry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

When all was said and done, Ms Sunshine and I got 75 caches from the series, including the final puzzle. Some caches required wading into armpit-deep water, but we were able to get even a few like that (without any cottonmouth attacks). Others, we were not able to get at all. Great series. I recommend doing it now for the extra challenge. :-) I would recommend working backwards from the parking spot near element #85, but you may have to walk all the way back to your car. All in all, I think we did pretty well for a couple out-of-state cachers! It wouldn't totally surprise me if Ms Sunshine decided to go back and get elements number 1-8, which we skipped. I think we're in good shape for qualifying for our challenge. Thanks for the tips, Houston cachers!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users