Photo

Anybody want to cache the elements power trail?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyfry

sparkyfry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hello, cachers of Houston. I'm a cacher from Minnesota who is planning on being in Houston in March for work. I may be able to swing a day or so off to do some caching, and I was thinking about trying to get as much of the Element Series as I could. (My main interest in this stems from a challenge cache in Minnesota that has yet to be found.) I figure it's always better caching with another person, and with two people and two cars (I'll likely have a rental), we could park at both ends so we don't need to walk all the way back. I'm thinking I would do this on Monday, March 12. Please reply here or send me an e-mail through my geocaching.com profile if you're interested. Thank you!
Posted Image

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Bring rubber boots. There will be some places with standing water. We've been having lots of rain lately.
Posted Image

#3 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Wish I could join but I'll be on my way back down from the Texas Challange Mega event.

#4 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

I wish I could, but it's the start of spring break and my mother flies in that morning. I plan to introduce her to geocaching but not on a power trail.

Edited by TAZ427, 20 February 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Wish I could do it but I will be in Colorado.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

From what I have heard a fair bit the trail is under water at the moment (by under water I mean the caches which are 3-4 feet in the air are under water). Hopefully it will dry out a bit by then. Don't think I am going to be able to do a Monday though.

Eagle
Posted Image

#7 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

quite a few of them were out in the water where usually it is dry land i was out there yesterday and hit some of the elements had to pass up several that were 100 plus feet out in some pretty deep water because of all the rain

#8 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

quite a few of them were out in the water where usually it is dry land i was out there yesterday and hit some of the elements had to pass up several that were 100 plus feet out in some pretty deep water because of all the rain

Why would a catfish not be able to get something that was in the water? Catfish swim.

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Uh...just sayin'. If thacatfish won't do it, I will pass.

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 sparkyfry

sparkyfry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Man, I'm beginning to question the wisdom of this idea... I thought it hardly ever rained in Texas! Are the caches at least secure in the locations? Meaning, if the caches which are 3-4 feet in the air are underwater, they won't have floated away, will they? If I'm going to brave chest-high water, I'd like to at least have some certainty that the caches are still there!
Posted Image

#11 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

All the cacher should be tethered down so they won't float away. The area they are hidden is prone to flooding (run off area to protect Houston proper) and so flooding was planned for when the caches were hidden. If I was in your shoes I would not completely rule it out. You are just looking at a long day of being very wet. Most of the Houston folks are passing because we have the luxury of planning the trip when it dries off.

Eagle
Posted Image

#12 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

not all of them are like that i got probably 20 or so of the elements yesterday i only had to pass on 5 that were just too far out in the water so its not a bust trying to do the series you will just miss a few of them which really isnt that big of a deal

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

It happens sometimes when you place caches in a reservoir. I guess the ones on the "outside" of the dam are dry?
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

all the ones on the i10 side of the damn are fine i believe its got standing water on that side in some spots but only maybe 6 inches deep that wasnt a problem. on the other side though the water has risen quite a bit. not all of them on that side were out in it i did probably 15 on that side of the dam. so i found 15 on that side and had to skip i believe 5 that were like 100 plus feet out in the water. i tried to go out to them but got about 40 or 50 feet out and the water just got too high to try to walk out. once i seen it was gonna go over my boots i skipped them. i wasnt going to be miserable all day with wet feet.

#15 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

You guys have been very discouraging to an out of state cacher. Did you guys check out the challenge he is working on (in the OP). I would definitely try for as many caches as you can get for the challenge. Those other guys sound like a bunch of wimps. I got FTF on many of those caches. It was a fun time caching all night.
I would go with you, but I have to work. I hope you find someone to go. It may be hard though because there is a mega event that weekend in Dallas and most of the cool cachers are going.
Have fun in Texas!
K

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Unfortunately, I have to work that day too (after getting back from the Texas Challenge the day before). I DID see the challenge he is working on and this series is a perfect fit. I don't think anyone meant to be discouraging, just letting him know that conditions have recently changed in the area -- you know -- so he can be prepared.

As far as being a wimp, YOU DON'T KNOW ME! :teasing: :teasing:

#17 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I still have to do Elements 1 - 30 and them I am done. The water may be lower by the time you arrive. There are constant hikers who check out GBP and they may be able to share with you the condition of the area by the time you arrive. If you were coming the following week, I would most definitely join you, but I am with the rest of the gang, *Spring Break and the *Texas Challenge* happening in Dallas.

Another place you can try for some elements in Tonapah, Nevada.

Good Luck on your mission!!

HC is not a wimp...he is a manly man and carries a manly purse!! :2funny: O0

#18 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

I told you Elisa, it's an over-the-shoulder tactical bag!

Here's a pic I took of the SE corner of the reservoir earlier in the month from the 14th floor of the Energy Tower on the Katy freeway. There's probably more water now.

Attached File  IMG_1392.JPG   1.13MB   48 downloads

Edited by HoustonControl, 21 February 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#19 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'd say, watch the weather. If it doesn't rain more in Houston, you could have a good time. I'd happily go with you, but we're on Spring Break then and heading from the TX Challenge to CO and then Lake Tahoe. I'm sure someone can join you for at least part of the trip. BTW, it takes most people a few trips to do the whole thing.

#20 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

I would definitely try for as many caches as you can get for the challenge. Those other guys sound like a bunch of wimps. I got FTF on many of those caches.

The water level had not risen to its current height when you did the series. Some of the caches are now 150 ft out in about 12 inches of water.

Bring waders, or be prepared to not get them all, is all people are saying.
Maybe it will have dried up before March 12 or so. The recent rains have really flooded the place.

We would love to go with you but, like the others, will just be going back to work post-Challenge.
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users