71 replies to this topic

#1 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

If you haven't looked at a the Maps on Geocaching.com this afternoon, you may want to take a look at it. Seems we've been kicked out of the Google Maps realm. This could be a Google Maps things, they've blocked certain SW from accessing their maps in the past, but I don't have any details behind the reasonning.

Anyway, it looks like we've been sent to Mapquest Hell, or OSM/OCM. Mapquest is extremely sluggish and it's satelite/aerial views are very poor in comparison to Google Maps Satelite images.

This of course has also broken the Live Maps in c:geo for those of us who use c:geo.

What the H E Double L is wrong with these people? :tickedoff:

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Looks like it's a Google is asking $10K/yr for companies who have very high map usage via websites and APIs - Here's an article on it.

That said, that's only 286 PM's per year. Pay the frigging bill already.

#3 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

They are saving $$$$$. And the new maps are HORRIBLE right now. I'm guessing their servers are getting killed by this Ground Speak change. They claim they were sending 2,000,000 hits to Google maps per day.

http://forums.ground...howtopic=290410

http://forums.ground...howtopic=290409

Edited by geohiker, 14 February 2012 - 04:18 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

All I know is that the maps on GC.com all all but unusable right now. Looks like I will be using GSAK GPX files and C:geo live maps (works if you provide your own cache data).

Eagle
Posted Image

#5 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

They are only saving $10K? or $10K per server maybe? These people are idiots. Use this as an excuse to raise the premium membership price so you we can have the option and pay the fee.. they would net a significant increase in profits.

I will say, I do like the "benefits" they attribute to the new api... but I have difficulty believing that not limiting the maps to just pocket queries was an API restriction. I really Hated having the all caches show when I was looking at my PQs. But I hate worse not having any streets on the map!
Posted Image

#6 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I don't normally go to the forum, but it might be worth it today, just to see how upset people are.

Eagle
Posted Image

#7 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

first reports were mostly positive... they must live where OSM are already fully populated.
Posted Image

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,847 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I was reading the forums earlier. People hate the maps, but GS is caught between a rock and a hard place. Google wants to start charging 3rd party websites $4 for every 1000 hits over 25,0000 each day for use of their API. At ~2,000,000 hits a day,, Groundspeak would be looking at around $8000 per day in GoogleMap charges.

It's probably going to take a few days or weeks to get the bugs worked out of the new maps, but people are already saying they'd pay more for a super-premium membership if they could use the Google Maps. Who's to say OpenMaps or MapQuest isn't going to start charging for use of their API?
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks HC, I didn't realize it was that high.
so.. what to do... what to do... spend my time updating OSM maps or converting to OpenCaching ??
Posted Image

#10 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

I was reading the forums earlier. People hate the maps, but GS is caught between a rock and a hard place. Google wants to start charging 3rd party websites $4 for every 1000 hits over 25,0000 each day for use of their API. At ~2,000,000 hits a day,, Groundspeak would be looking at around $8000 per day in GoogleMap charges.

It's probably going to take a few days or weeks to get the bugs worked out of the new maps, but people are already saying they'd pay more for a super-premium membership if they could use the Google Maps. Who's to say OpenMaps or MapQuest isn't going to start charging for use of their API?

Ok, I was reading the article I posted a link to above as being $10K/yr contract being an option. That said, w/ 2M hits per day, that number sounds small, but also, I'm sure there'd be room for negotiation the $4/1K hits down. With volume comes discounts.

Plus they broke Live view on c:geo - I know it's not a supported app, but it's the best caching app out there IMHO.

@Eagles - I believe what you're referring to is Map view of Stored Caches (i.e. go to stored caches, select the list you want, then go to map view of those caches) - This isn't the live view, but that's what I'm regressing to for the time being. Looks like I'll be pushing the 8 PQ's I have for the Houston Area to my phone for the 7700 or so cache's in the area and see if c:geo blows up.

Edited by TAZ427, 14 February 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#11 bbqandbeer

bbqandbeer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

I would pay 4 dollars for 1000 uses.
c-geo was useless tonight when I tried to get a few caches while my daughter was in violin lesson.

#12 .jpeg

.jpeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Compared to the previous Google map, in my experience the road map opens quicker in the MapQuest version and I like the "layers" button in the upper right. But when you want to see a satellite image, you're in for a looooong wait. I hope they get the bugs worked out soon. We've got a busy caching weekend planned.

#13 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I downloaded JOSM editor (Java OpenStreetMap Editor). Seems very powerful, but very complicated. I corrected a road and uploaded at about 8:45 on 2/14/2012. We'll see how long it takes to make the change in the GC.com.

I'll play with uploading GPX files of roads in the next few days.
Posted Image

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

I had major problems using it at work, but it seems to be working ok now. One thing I do like is the multiple caches at a location. One comes up and you can click next to scroll through them seeing the normal info that comes up when one is clicked.
Posted Image

#15 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

The Dynamic maps work better (not well though) than the previous maps on my iPhone. At least the caches show up now, but I still can't click on one.

Still don't like the change though. I suppose we will adapt like we do every other change that comes along.
Posted Image

#16 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

I don't like the new maps either. :( :angry: :tickedoff: :veryangry:

#17 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

You folks are spoiled. Go back to the day when you just had a GPS and the maps on them. Or better yet a really old GPS that had no maps.
:2funny:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

You folks are spoiled. Go back to the day when you just had a GPS and the maps on them. Or better yet a really old GPS that had no maps.
:2funny:

Heck yeah I'm spoiled. :teasing: If technology is available to me, I'm going to use it. The major thing about the way it was w/ Google Maps is you can get a good birdseye view and know what to expect, and plan accordingly, making a more efficient caching effort. Gone are the days of driving a good distance for a single cache (well unless you're trying to fill out our 366 or going after a FTF.)

The fact is if it wasn't for technology being available to us, we would still only have an extremely small community of letterboxers out there and we'd be calling our kids every 5 mins on the cell phone instead of just looking up their GPS coords (well my son's only 9 so I haven't gotten there yet, but I know people who have.)

So give me my cake and let me eat it, as a PM I feel I've paid for it.

#19 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Uploading the PQ's to my andriod for c:geo worked. guess I'll have to run them everyday to keep it updated on c:geo. Up to 4459 caches loaded and has not chrashed yet.

#20 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Either that or load them into GSAK and use the API to refresh them daily. GC does not like you running the PQs more than once every three days.

Eagle
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users