11 replies to this topic

#1 prothos

prothos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

I was looking for TB's near me that i thought i could help on there way. I found several caches that shows to have tb's but they are missing and llogs do not show who took them. I justed visited this cache GCNNJF today it was stated to have a tb that has not been moved for almost 1 year and thought we could help it on its way. Well the tb was missing and the logs did not show anyone taking it.
Is there a way to get this removed from being listed at those caches so others don't do the same thing.

#2 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

That seems to be all too common. My guess is that people log the finds, but forget to log the TBs since it requires a seperate action. There are a number of caches around the Houston area that show TBs in them that have been gone for months. It's up to whoever owns the TB to archive it if it's lost, but people don't do that either.

#3 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

All you can do is email the owner that the travel bug was not in the cache as stated and have them archive it or try to figure out where it might be.  They also could start using their copy tag if they choose to. 
Posted Image

#4 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

They also could start using their copy tag if they choose to.   

I've done that with two of my TBs, one that was in a cache that blew or was taken out of a tree and one that was in a cache that was plundered. Since they were my first TBs, I almost put the copies on the objects when I sent them out.

#5 MunkieBread

MunkieBread

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

You just have to email the owner and ask them to "Mark Bug as Missing."  I think that is one of the options on the TB page. But sometimes the owners of the TB aren't active anymore so they don't pay attention.

#6 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

I'm getting concerned about a TB I put out that GrangerFam took to San Diego. It was picked up by a student who said he would put it in a suitable cache. It's been almost three weeks and with finals and all I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look like he's found a cache since he retrieved the bug.

#7 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

Sometimes these things take time to happen. We have been known to sit on a TB or coin for way longer than originally anticipated.
The idea is to make it move a long way and sometimes the timing doesnt work out well.
The bug will eventually show up. Just sit tight or send a friendly reminder to the cacher that picked it up.

#8 prothos

prothos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

I did send the owner a email as soon as i seen it missing. We are planning a trip to Mobile Al. the end of this month. i was going to pick up a couple of travel bugs that i though i could help out and drop them in mobile and hope they get moved along before another hurricane hits there.

#9 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

P, I see you're in Humble. If you were down in my neck of the woods there are a couple of my TBs in RAINE that need to get started on their trip. If I had been thinking, I would have retreived one or both of them and brought them with me on this trip to Canada.

Mobile was lucky with Katrina. Let's just hope they are lucky this summer, too.

#10 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:25 AM

If the Bug is missing in one of your own caches (if you notice it during a maintenance visit) you can mark the bug as missing - it's an option in the log drop down window...we hate seeing bugs go missing  :'(

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#11 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

If the Bug is missing in one of your own caches (if you notice it during a maintenance visit) you can mark the bug as missing - it's an option in the log drop down window...we hate seeing bugs go missing  :'(

So that's another option...contact the cache owner and tell them the bug is missing and to go ahead and mark it missing. 
Posted Image

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Old revived post warning! 

Of the 6 Feral Hog tusks I originally sent out, 5 are in archived caches and 1 is in an unknown location.

http://img.geocachin...6c8328fbbee.jpg

I've learned my lesson.  From now on when I make them, they will go to fellow cachers for their collection.  As I find them, or they are donated, I will continue to make these cool hitch hikers.

• KeyResults and 2katz like this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users