43 replies to this topic

#1 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ok, so I know Purple Hell has a link to a Stereogram Decoder SW, but it looks like the German website it was on is no longer active. It takes you to one of those auto generated websites after there DNS lease is up.

So I'm looking to try to get the SW. I've looked all over the internet and can't find it.

The reason I'm looking is because "Asprins, Tylenol, or Ibuprofen" is giving me a headache that the name just won't help. Actually, I believe I've got the info from the Stereogram, but it just isn't making sense to me and I want to make sure I got the info right. I've never been very good at seeing these and I can't hold the image long if I do manage to see them. I'm glad they were only a fad.

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I used to like to look at them when I went shopping with my wife in the mall.
Posted Image

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I used to like to look at them when I went shopping with my wife in the mall.

I did too. Never saw anything then, either. :laugh:
Posted Image

#4 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

While my daughter and her husband were visiting, the old Magic Eye books got pulled out. Everyone could see the images except my son-in-law...no matter how hard he tried. It was funny watching him sneak off to try to see them when he thought noone was looking.
Posted Image

#5 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Maybe this will help...

Stereogram decoder trick

If you're having trouble seeing them, this trick will at least give you a clue what's in them:
  • Take two copies of the same stereogram, hold them against a window so that the light shines through them.
  • Align them vertically.
  • Horizontal alignment.
    • If it has two dots above it, start by making one line up with the other.
    • Otherwise look for a pattern that recurs from left to right, and align the stereograms "off" by a single pattern-width.
  • Then move one sheet to the left or right a bit, and you'll see these:
    • A (dark) silhouette of the object in the stereogram.
    • Light objects against a darker background, which are parts of the image that are at the same depth. The better the quality of the stereogram, the less recognisable the objects will be.
On a computer, the same trick can be done with any graphics program that supports layers (such as Gimp). Set the top layer to "darken only", "difference" or some similar sounding option.

Edited by crossmage, 01 December 2011 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

#6 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

A word about this cache ... we stared at the stereogram (had no idea that's what it was called) and got the info. Then we ran into someone at an event, can't remember for certain but it might have been KX. The basic mention was, don't get to stuck on the coordinates because they're WAY off. I started reading some of the logs and just decided not to try for it. I might change my mind soon, but I don't know. Basically, the thing is well named I suppose.

#7 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

A word about this cache ... we stared at the stereogram (had no idea that's what it was called) and got the info. Then we ran into someone at an event, can't remember for certain but it might have been KX. The basic mention was, don't get to stuck on the coordinates because they're WAY off. I started reading some of the logs and just decided not to try for it. I might change my mind soon, but I don't know. Basically, the thing is well named I suppose.

There is an extra step that must be done after you see the image, to get the correct coords.

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 01 December 2011 - 09:24 PM.

Posted Image

#8 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

You know the color test books that you do the the optometrist? The ones that have the big numbers hidden in them.. they practically jump of the page at you? Or at least they always jumped off the page for me... until I had a temporary partial loss of vision. Then they were flat as a pancake and there was now way the numbers were hidden in all those dots! So, totally get that some people can see it and some can not. I suspect the brain has a lot to do with it to. :)
Posted Image

#9 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

There is an extra step that must be done after you see the image, to get the correct coords.

OK, an extra step. Wouldn't ya know it! TAZ, I have a proposal for you. We know what we're supposed to see in the stereoscope, you figure out the rest of it and we'll make it a joint solve. Just let me know if that sounds good.

#10 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

I always liked looking at these but could never understand why anyone would buy one to hang on their wall. I see the image clearly but when I use the coord checker it says I have the wrong coords.

#11 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

I always liked looking at these but could never understand why anyone would buy one to hang on their wall. I see the image clearly but when I use the coord checker it says I have the wrong coords.

Same here

Posted Image

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:17 AM

That is why you need some aspirin. I never fully understood the puzzle. If I am in the area I will check to see of the cache is still there as the owner has not been very active for quite awhile.

Edited by SockPuppet, 02 December 2011 - 07:27 AM.

Posted Image

#13 GeoGeex

GeoGeex

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationBeach City, Texas

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

Here's a link to some source code. Don't know how good it is but I may play with it at some point...

http://graphics.stan...gcafe-20030417/
Posted Image

#14 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

OK, an extra step. Wouldn't ya know it! TAZ, I have a proposal for you. We know what we're supposed to see in the stereoscope, you figure out the rest of it and we'll make it a joint solve. Just let me know if that sounds good.

I have no problem doing this together.

I'm fairly certain that I got the info from the stereogram correct but I wanted a sanity check. I came up with the same #'s I had when I first looked at it about 7 months ago. I just haven't been able to see how it fits. It's definitely not a direct drop in as that would be over the 2 mile limit which was in place prior to this cache being posted (I believe it was put in place Fall of 2008 and this is Nov 2008.) I didn't even bother trying to toss it in the checker.

I've tried looking at some other DATUMs and that didn't seem to pan out, also tried putting the info in as SS.SSS to make it small enough difference, but the location didn't look right - maybe it was, I should have plugged it in the checker.

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

It is funny. I ignored this since the cache was in Sugarl Land and now that I am going to PA for a few days I looked around my hotel and there is a Stereogram puzzle there. http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC368M5 Now I have to try and solve this before I go cross eyed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 GeoGeex

GeoGeex

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationBeach City, Texas

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

It is funny. I ignored this since the cache was in Sugarl Land and now that I am going to PA for a few days I looked around my hotel and there is a Stereogram puzzle there. http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC368M5 Now I have to try and solve this before I go cross eyed.

I have the solution if you need any help :)
Posted Image

#17 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

That stereogram is especially clear and the puzzle seems straightforward. The one in Sugarland has me stumped.

#18 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

That stereogram is especially clear and the puzzle seems straightforward. The one in Sugarland has me stumped.

Maybe for you but I can not see anything at all. I know the answer and can not find it anywhere. Oh well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

You have to get a little cross-eyed but the PA one jumps right out. Sugarland, not so much, there's a lot going on.

#20 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

You have to get a little cross-eyed but the PA one jumps right out. Sugarland, not so much, there's a lot going on.

I sort of "unfocus" my eyes until i see the image and then focus on the image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users