63 replies to this topic

#21 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Looking at TravelingGeeks Bookmarked list, it looks like Prince Edward Island would be one of the next destinations for the power-trail hungry crowd! There are 962 caches on the C.T. (Confederation Trail) series, plus another 85 caches on a "spur" off of it. http://coord.info/ma...-62.853732&z=10

The bad new is....it's a hiking/biking trail only. Doubtful you could get 1000 caches in a day, sans automobile!

What a challenge that would be... I bet some crazy local cachers will take you up on the challenge.

Well yes if you are into that sort of thing. However I am!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Another geoart series in Idaho, east of Craters of the Moon National Monument. "Signal Makes His Mark" begins with GC2TFGR

#23 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

A new GeoArt in Calif... north of RT66

http://coord.info/ma...115.710787&z=14
  • TravelingGeek likes this
Posted Image

#24 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

Looks like they are still needing to get a couple approved, but that one is neat.

Eagle
Posted Image

#25 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

WOOF WOOF ..... http://coord.info/ma...-71.338882&z=14
Posted Image

#26 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

GC logo
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#27 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

WOOF WOOF ..... http://coord.info/ma...-71.338882&z=14

A bit more about this series courtesy of It's Not About the Numbers:

The New Hampshire resident (GC handle: meandmydogs) actually launched her 160-cache series one Saturday afternoon in late April with event GC3F8CB. But it took the dog lover and 47 of her friends seven months to place all 134 puzzles and 26 letterbox hybrids.

In case you hadn’t guessed, this isn’t your usual shaped geo-trail, says Runion, whose profile page bears the quote “it’s a fine line between a hobby and insanity”. Due to a minor run-in with Groundspeak, once her SD (short for Snoop Dog) caches disappear, they won’t be replaced.

She explains that’s primarily because her Snoopy design is located on New Hampsire’s Lake Winnipesaukee, yet the final locations are spread across the New England region, breaking Geocaching.com’s two-mile puzzle rule – not to mention confusing tourists who hope to complete the trail while in town. “Truth be told, the final locations are all over the state, with the highest concentration on the sea coast (maybe I should have placed him over the ocean).

“I had originally planned to hide all the caches myself and was going to do a pug face for my dog Spike (and because my GC handle is meandmydogs, it had to be dog related).

“The design is over a lake in New Hampshire so as not to interfere with real caches around the state and I thought it would pop better as a visual. Since I am not that artistic, I was searching around for a good model for which I could use to base the image. I came across a sort of paint-by-numbers thing of Snoopy and thought ‘Wow, that’s perfect … now to just align the dots on a map’. I tried playing with Google Earth, but given my limited mapping skills, found it to be difficult. I called on Joe of boatrs and he used National Geographic Topo to get it close and then Mapsource 24K Northeast to finetune it.”

The next issue to tackle was how to place 160 hides “in a timely fashion”. Runion had already decided on a mix of letterbox hybrids and puzzle caches, with the latter to be “based on the various dog breeds, mutts, dog cartoons or anything dog related that could be educational”.

“The puzzle was hider’s choice on what worked for them. I can tell you after writing about 60 puzzle caches, I was bleary-eyed.”

Task No 3 was recruiting helpers to her comical cause, with “one cacher from Vermont and a few folks from Massachusetts” lending a hand. “The original goal was to get the head finished and have all those caches released at the same time so that it would pop up on the lake. Then we would finish the body as people could get their hides done.

Posted Image
Taking shape: Snoopy on March 26th and April 3rd.

“I started by inviting folks I knew to help with a hide or two and then I emailed people who had recently hidden caches to see if they were interested in hiding what was becoming the SD (Snoop Dog) series. As folks volunteered, I would send them a set of ‘fake’ co-ords they were to use on their page. The design was built on September 23rd, 2011 and the head – while not totally finished but close enough was released on November 2nd.

“If I had it to do over again, I’d wait for them to actually hide the cache, then send the fake co-ords. The head would have been released sooner and more complete that way and there would have been less confusion over the final locations of hides. While everyone was excited about helping, life gets in the way and it affected the release and design of Snoopy.”

During phase two, Runion and her team opted to publish the caches making up the dog’s body as soon as they were available – letting everyone see “the progression of the Snoopy week by week”.

“An event was being planned to celebrate Snoopy’s completion when Groundspeak sent us a cease-and-desist notice. Essentially, they were not in favour of the caches’ final locations being outside the two-mile radius of the posted fake co-ords. If you review each cache page, it tells you the town or general location of the final, but the locations are many miles from the posted co-ordinates.”

Posted ImageRunion decided to persevere anyway, holding the Snoopy event on April 7th with custom badges for her guests and “a slightly incomplete pup”. She’s hoping to “get out on the lake and place two more caches that will finish off his mouth and ear”; the rest will stay as is.

“From then on, I suspect we will see Snoopy die a slow death as the caches get archived over time (which was always the plan).”

Cost-wise, Runion can’t give an exact tally but says the 40-45 she hid probably totalled US$200. “Most of those were small lock’n'locks. Add a log and a little swag and I figure the cost to be US$3-5 per puzzle hide and US$5-7 per letterbox hybrid – that does not include gas. Many of the other hides are micros and film cannisters, which do not have the same cost to them.”

Her SD series has also had an emotional cost, she says, with reaction to her handiwork being mixed. “Some people loved it, especially: those looking for new challenges that took them to different places, and had different hides; those who wanted puzzles they could solve (most of the puzzles are very easy); and those working on challenges which require them to have lots of puzzle and letterbox finds.

“The following people did not appreciate it: Those who like to keep their radius clear and do not want to travel around the state to find caches. It was a little difficult to determine which hides might be in your back yard so there is now a bookmark, thanks to Anne of Team Skywalker, which tells you where the finals are located by town.”

When asked if she plans to create more geo-art, Runion replies: “Let’s just say after the ruckus I caused with Snoopy, I have promised the local reviewer (who is wonderful) that I will take a break from anything that will give him more grey hair!”

• KeyResults likes this

#28 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

Very cool project. I had a similiar idea for a design in Galveston Bay that would have put ~20 puzzle caches into the Baycliff/San Leon area to meet the two mile limit. The more time I spent in San Leon :-\ the less I liked the idea of sending a bunch of cachers in.

#29 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

If you are in Sweden......

Sweden

http://coord.info/ma...21,13.9068&z=13
Posted Image

#30 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

To go along with this my buddy Ornith is putting together a geo-glyphs challenge.

While in Seattle Criffree, Taz427, Seeker of Seasons and myself did the peace puzzle sign,
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

To go along with this my buddy Ornith is putting together a geo-glyphs challenge.

Good luck with that. Texas PR says there is no quantifiable way to measure what is 'art'.
Posted Image

#32 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Good luck with that. Texas PR says there is no quantifiable way to measure what is 'art'.

He is in Oregon so PR can say all he wants but has no effect on him there. It will publish there.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Choo Choo

http://coord.info/ma...116.191627&z=13
Posted Image

#34 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Can you say "road trip."

#35 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Choo Choo

http://coord.info/ma...116.191627&z=13

that is awesome! I love the smoke!
Wait... let me get this straight.... 1000 caches in the train and another 700 on the trail road. And not a guard road in sight! I'm in awe!

I have NO interest in the ET highway, but would love to do this these! I just need to take october and november off to do it.

Sweet!
Posted Image

#36 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Can you say "road trip."

There are a ridiculous amount of caches out there. So many long caching strands. The Jet is also out there nearby. Looks like I am going to Idaho next summer. Who wants to go with me?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Can you say "road trip."

There are a ridiculous amount of caches out there. So many long caching strands. The Jet is also out there nearby. Looks like I am going to Idaho next summer. Who wants to go with me?

Already told my hubby that I might be out of town for a month or 2.
And yes if anyone plans on doing this let me know would love to go

Edited by Nov64, 30 September 2012 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image

#38 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

I did a few calculation on JUST the upper smoke cloud...

Attached File  smoke3.jpg   149.45KB   30 downloads
Posted Image

#39 Manofsteel73

Manofsteel73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Can you say "road trip."

I am in for a trip to Idaho in the spring.

#40 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

Can you say "road trip."

I am in for a trip to Idaho in the spring.

You realize that their spring is our summer...right!?
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users