Photo

Does anyone here use a Magellan eXplorist GC Geocaching GPS?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TXDinoTrax

TXDinoTrax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationRichmond/Katy, TX

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'm thinking about upgrading my GPS unit, and I've sort of been looking at this one: http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

The reviews are pretty mixed, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has this particular model and what your experiences are with it? I'm drawn to this one since it comes with the free 30-day trial of Geocaching.com (I've been debating purchasing a membership...money's tight right now...yet I have been stockpiling Amazon gift cards, so the unit wouldn't actually cost me anything).

Right now I'm using an ancient Magellan SporTrak Pro that I got in 2003. It works perfectly and almost always gets me exactly where I need to be, but I can't connect it to the computer, and I'm getting tired of manually entering caches. And it doesn't show any type of relief, which would be helpful. ;)

Thoughts? I read through the forums, and it seems like a lot of you are using Garmin models. Are they better? I've only ever used my Magellan, and if you are familiar with the model, you know it's a dinosaur with limited capabilities. ::)

#2 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

I have used various Garmins for about 4 years. I bought an Explorist GC in April. It is great for caching, I love that it holds 10,000 caches, that it accepts GPX files from pocket queries. Putting aside the learning curve after using multiple Garmin units the only negative comment that I have is that it is made for geocaching, it cannot accept additional maps of any kind. If you are only going to use it for caching the only drawback is not being able to load topo maps.

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Is the difficulty in hooking you old GPS to the computer a hardware or software issue or both?
Posted Image

#4 TXDinoTrax

TXDinoTrax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Is the difficulty in hooking you old GPS to the computer a hardware or software issue or both?

It's one or the other or both. I really don't know. I tried hooking up the cable that came with it (it's a serial port), and my computer doesn't even recognize it. I'm not too terribly tech savvy, but I can usually figure things out, and I just can't get it to work. However, I wouldn't know if it ever worked. My husband gave it to me when we got married, and I literally never used it. I got it in 2003, and I finally started using it this past April.

I would be using it exclusively for caching. Right now, I don't have topo maps on my GPSr, but that is one feature I'd really like to have, so that's something for me to think about!

#5 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

I consider topo maps fairly useless in the greater Houston area. It's too flat to have more than 1 topo line on your screen at a time.
  • TAZ427 likes this
Posted Image

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

It's one or the other or both. I really don't know. I tried hooking up the cable that came with it (it's a serial port), and my computer doesn't even recognize it. I'm not too terribly tech savvy, but I can usually figure things out, and I just can't get it to work. However, I wouldn't know if it ever worked. My husband gave it to me when we got married, and I literally never used it. I got it in 2003, and I finally started using it this past April.

I would be using it exclusively for caching. Right now, I don't have topo maps on my GPSr, but that is one feature I'd really like to have, so that's something for me to think about!

A lot of computers do not have serieal ports. If that is the case you should be able to buy a serial to USB. As for not recognizing the GPS you may need to simply load a driver onto the computer. I would load the free easygps and try the pulldown menu for your GPS unit. Then try to upload any caches in your GPS to easygps to see if it is communicating.
Posted Image

#7 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I'd love to have the 10K GPX, my Garmin Oregon 400t says it has a 1000 WP limit, but I think I get somewhere around 1500 Cache's before I start getting the annoying message saying I have too many. I usually have the 1000 around my house plus several other 100ish caches for area's I be visiting in it.

I think if I were to do it over I'd have gone w/ the eXplorist. I can put offline maps on my phone if I want them (and I do.) It's a pain to do sat images on the Oregon (I have done this - not worth it IMO - major PIA)

Edited by TAZ427, 10 November 2011 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

These USB-Serial converters are nice but through our helping other cachers get their GPS's to work with their computers, we have found that not all USB-Serial converters work for this. If you get one and it doesnt work, try a different brand. It probably wouldnt be too difficult to internet search for one that is proven to work with a GPS. When you get it to work, it works really well.

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

These USB-Serial converters are nice but through our helping other cachers get their GPS's to work with their computers, we have found that not all USB-Serial converters work for this. If you get one and it doesnt work, try a different brand. It probably wouldnt be too difficult to internet search for one that is proven to work with a GPS. When you get it to work, it works really well.

Thanks for the reminder.
Posted Image

#10 TXDinoTrax

TXDinoTrax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for all the input! The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just go ahead and get the GPS and use the one I already have. It really would be better since my husband and I always cache together with one GPS. There have been more times than I can count where it would have been nice to have a second unit so we weren't both trying to use the same one.

I went caching with friends today, and we were still undecided where we were going last night, so I manually input over 20 caches into my GPS. That took forever! I will definitely try a serial to USB converter. I forgot to mention that I did try easygps, and had no luck getting it work. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users