63 replies to this topic

#61 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

Try the publish function in gsak it will show field notes and log in the order of the finds. Great function
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#62 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

I thought it might be helpful to get the big picture view for any who might be interested:

A special .txt (comma delimited file) is created by your GPSr -in geocaching mode - each time you mark a cache as Attended, Not Found, Found, etc.

Each entry is time and date stamped, includes GC number, and any notes you make, if any, at a minimum. We refer to this file as the "My_Found_txt" file.

You can see this when you browse the files on your GPSr unit when it's plugged-in to a computer USB port if all is working correctly. On Garmin units, it's in the Garmin folder. When you use your phone to log a geocache using the standard GC.com phone app, that happens in real-time, so none of this applies. Some, phone apps do support the "log it later" approach, mimicking the GPSr, but let's come back to that in a sec :).

The trick is to get the little .txt file created by the GPSr to either GC.com, a third-party logging site, GSAK or other third-party app so that you can turn those entries into official logs on GC.com. Once the caches have been officially logged, then the MyFound_txt file is deleted from the GPSr. The GPSr will create a new one next time you mark a geocache, and the cycle repeats. When you connect your GPSr to the computer, and let the a logging website "suck" the finds out of your GPSr for logging, the file is usually read and deleted from your GPSr for you.

When possible, we like to use GSAK to publish logs, but we also use our phones from time to time. The phone obviously allows publishing in real-time, directly, for say a FTF entry or a one-off, but usually we will export our My_Found_txt file from our Phone Caching App (geoSphere on iPhone) to be treated the same way as our GPSr My_Found_txt file.

Using GSAKs publishing feature, mentioned above, you import the My_Found_txt file from your device directly, or you import the export file from an intermediate storage location where you saved it. This can be your GPSr, or from your Phone App export file. GSAK reads and parses the file, which now allows you to embellish, correct, re-sort, and otherwise modify your list of caches to be "logged" and published to GC.com for the official record. 

GSAK and GC.com refer to the information about a cache you typed into your device or caching phone app as a "field note". When importing your My_Found_txt file for publishing, to any of the choices, the field notes may be included into the "Log Notes" or just viewed by you to remind you of what happened. I usually include my Field Notes into GSAK Log Note area then edit it before publishing to GC.com. This is done using a GSAK variable, then by using "Preview" in GSAK before publishing to make sure the official log looks alright.

There are many branches and tangents to accomplish the task of logging caches with GC.com This mentions touches on just one, but the main point was what is going on under the hood so to speak. Hopefully I haven't confused anybody. The intent was to illuminate what is REALLY going on regardless of how you choose to get there.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#63 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

no confusion for me - just a few options of how to do it.  which is exactly what I was looking for with my lovely new garmin.  it shows me cache description and the compass even works in the right direction!   now it's a matter of figuring out what computer method I like best.   :pcr:

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#64 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

I take photos at each cache (Duh!) and use them to refresh my memoy when logging and the sooner the better or it all runs together.  I simply upload my fied notes file directly to GC.com, then glimpse at my field notes, if I have any, then at my photos in the order I took them and write my logs and they usually include flatulence both in the log and behind the keyboard.  I hope this doesn't offend anyone.  Ha ha!

Kenny, when caching with you and your BFF I've noticed you both take audible notes.  Can you expound on that, becuase y'all are the only ones I've seen do it and you both write very descriptive logs and are a blast to cache with, I might add.  :smitten:

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users