63 replies to this topic

#1 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

GSAK released v 8 today .... if you already have v7 its a $20 upgrade fee. $30 if you are new to GSAK

It has access to GC so you can download pq from GSAK

plus if you are doing a series you can write your page then hit GC button select Publish Logs & click Publish.. cool
Posted Image

#2 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

I think we need a new set of threads that talks GSAK abilities with threads that don't cross over from item to item if possible... I can think of a few differing threads such as stats, logging, etc. Might help people keep track of different abilities and macros out there without having to go through the GC forums.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the reminder of GSAK 8 handling the publishing of logs! I had already upgraded and was running the beta, but this weekend we stopped off for a minor detour on our way back from Mingo and 26.5 hours later, we had another 500 caches to log. :uglystupid2:

I was trying my old way to log - well, C&P the log - with GC_LogCache (it takes the split screen right to the logging screen for which cache is highlighted automagically) but after playing with the "publish logs" option I figured out how to get it to work. And it worked flawlessly! Well, it worked once I figured how to set the date and mark things found - it really is designed to work with those field note things that GPSes do that phones don't - so the new template I wrote worked!!! Man oh man - I'm gonna be finished with logging tonight! Just gotta get cooking with GSAK when I get home tonight.... :stirpot:

Edited by crossmage, 09 November 2011 - 05:07 PM.

• TravelingGeek likes this
Posted Image

#4 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

I upgraded after logging my most recent finds but I find the update to be interesting and can't wait to try out some of the new features. I already like being able to update cache status with the click of the mouse.

#5 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

I am trying to get an event together at the beginning of the year that will teach geocaching (for newbies) and GSAK (for veterans or those interested). I would like to have it statewide (similar to the membership drive for TXGA). I updraded my GSAK but don't know how to use the old one let alone the new one with funky new features!!

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

I might come if you have a special session, like GSAK for 3rd graders. :uglystupid2:
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this
Posted Image

#7 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Well, if it helps, I got tentative approval from the new Flying Saucer in Sugar Land to host a GSAK event that can help you learn. I can't get a date from them yet as things are still too new, but I will get it out once i have the date.
Posted Image

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

Great spot for an event. :cheers:
Posted Image

#9 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

How do you do the logging from V8? That sounds like a nice feature. Already did a query inport and that was great.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

I still also think there should be a GSAK section on this forum.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

GSAK for Cachestacker(s)! ???

Exactly!
Posted Image

#12 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#13 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Theren
is a GSAK 101 link on the GSAK forum :http://gsak.net/boar...t=0

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#14 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

There is an awesome event coming up..... http://www.geocachin...e1-640e1d368b18 Although it is just a short road trip for us.

#15 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

How do you do the logging from V8? That sounds like a nice feature. Already did a query inport and that was great.

There is a "Publish Logs..." option under the "gc.com access" tab. This lets you set templates for "Found it" results as well as DNFs and other log events.

The docs explain a little on setting up templates and getting the caches into the utility from GPS, file or query at http://gsak.net/v80/hs46070.htm

And since it uses a change in status to the caches so it knows to publish the logging templates for them, i had trouble figuring how to mark the caches as "found" and on what day on the Land Run for logging. If I had a Garmin Colorado or one of the others that logs a found date and time from the GPS along with fieldnotes, I would be set, but in my case i found that selecting all of the caches I did on one day in a GSAK view could be all set to found for a specific date using the "global replace" option under the "database" tab to change the "Last found by me" date to the date I wanted on the logs.

Once I was done with that I was able to fetch them as per the docs listed above and then edit the one or two I had special notes about before sending 499 caches to gc.com for logging and having it all done in minutes.

I also had GDAK in the field on my phone and see that he is building in fieldnotes capabilitues for GSAK when offline (seems c:geo and the gc.com app will both do it on-line), so i send him a donation to help that happen. In the meantime, this appears a powerful and awesome way to log any day with more than a few caches, so i have to ask - what apps handle off-line fieldnotes for android?
Posted Image

#16 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

C:Geo can save logs when offline and allows you to go back and post them when you are once again an an internet connection.

Eagle
Posted Image

#17 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

There is an awesome event coming up..... http://www.geocachin...e1-640e1d368b18 Although it is just a short road trip for us.

Thanks for the heads up. I may be able to make that.

#18 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

Played with this a bit today... very impressed with it.
Posted Image

#19 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

I've been using the beta fro weeks and have enjoyed the new automated download feature that keeps my local database up to date without the occasional failures associated with the scraped together way I used before.

#20 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I installed V8 yesterday and have questions. I assume the Geocaching.com menu is the main change?

I tried to use the Get Geocaches & Refresh Cache Data functions and in both cases it got only about half of the caches they should have.

I mostly upgraded because I thought the new version would get Favorites in the PQs and would let me update my all Houston database without using the clumbsy 7 PQs method. Apparently it doesn't do either or I'm doing something wrong.

No Favorites show up after a PQ update, and the 6000 limit doesn't let me get all the caches in Houston (It doesn't reach 6000 either.).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users