#1 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

My brother forwarded me this post from the Austin area:

I just saw that Richard Garriott's house is up for sale ($4.1 million).

I imagine this means the cache will go away, unfortunately. Too bad.

Posted Image

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

I believe he just build a BIGGER house further down on his property. You have to go through the gates that are just past the parking coords for the cache to get to it. You can see the mansion from the viewing platform at the cache.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

http://www.kvue.com/...-132111983.html

here is the link my cousin sent to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

Yep, that's the one you drive by on the way to the final. When I was at the cache, I ran into Dale Flatt, Mr. Garriott's assistant -- who actually designed most of the cache and built a lot of the necropolis. He told me then that Richard was building an even bigger monstrosity with more hidden rooms and secret passageways than the original, and that it was just down the hill.

Ahh, to be a bazillionaire!

#5 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Seems like a reasonable price.

My brother forwarded me this post from the Austin area:

I just saw that Richard Garriott's house is up for sale ($4.1 million).

I imagine this means the cache will go away, unfortunately. Too bad.

Posted Image

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

Yep, that's the one you drive by on the way to the final. When I was at the cache, I ran into Dale Flatt, Mr. Garriott's assistant -- who actually designed most of the cache and built a lot of the necropolis. He told me then that Richard was building an even bigger monstrosity with more hidden rooms and secret passageways than the original, and that it was just down the hill.

It's funny as my cousin and I finished the cache Dale drove up and talked to us for a while. My cousin works with Dale in AFD and never knew he worked for Richard. He also spoke to us about the house etc. I have a few guys I work with who know of Richard through Ultima so when i talk about this cache and show them pictures they know a lot of what I am talking about.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Kalvey

Kalvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationFresno

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

I really want to go do this one. Is it difficult or just time consuming? I know that it will be well worth the effort either way!

#8 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

I really want to go do this one. Is it difficult or just time consuming? I know that it will be well worth the effort either way!

It took my cousin and myself about 3 hours but we did a few other caches along the way and he knew exactly where everything was located since he is from Austin. Overall a great cache and not all that difficult.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

I got another note from him that says its the old house for sale because his new one should be done. It's the new house by the cache, so the cache should be safe.
Posted Image

#10 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Here is a link to the home

http://www.reatx.com...austin_tx_78730

The taxes are just over 58,000 /year

A really nice home. It is amazing a home that size only has 3 bedrooms.
Posted Image

#11 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

I did it almost exactly a year ago and if you start at 3pm, you should get to the final around dark - the perfect time. It all depends on how quickly you do stage #2. :-) Although I called a friend in the end since the gates were about to be locked, I still chuckle over how quickly families with young children get past that stage, while us all grown-up groups get stuck. It's not hard and it it very fun and exciting as you get caught up in the story.

It is - by far - one of the best caches in the country. And don't forget the quarters....
Posted Image

#12 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

We left Missouri City at 9am and completed it just after dark. Not hard, lots of fun and we kept getting side tracked.

We did run into an issue with a Wedding being hosted at one stage.. but we were able to figure out around it.

Unfortunately, we had to pass on dinner because we had 5 kids and three adults. If it's just you two be sure to allow time for dinner at the villa, it looks amazing.
Posted Image

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

...and when leaving the Tuscan Eatery, don't back your truck into the guardrail and put a dent in your rear bumper. I'm just sayin'! :disappoint:

#14 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Just saw Richard Garriott on U-verse Science Channel, channel 258, on a program called "ODDITIES", "Keeping Austin Odd". Interesting. The show repeats at 11PM. The things he collects ! ! ! You might want to watch it or record the program.

#15 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

I may be thinking wrong but, i don't think that is the one that we passed on the way to the final. The house listed for sale shows to be over 1/2 mile from the larger house (above the road and with the it's own observatory) that is along route to the final. Since it had the built in observatory, i just assumed that this house was his.

If so, then the one that is for sale was his previous house and he is moving into this larger house? Or is he building yet another house on down passed the gates that are along side the final?

#16 empressone

empressone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationspring

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

I did the cache last summer and I loved it! I felt all lara croft!
EmpressOne

#17 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I may be thinking wrong but, i don't think that is the one that we passed on the way to the final. The house listed for sale shows to be over 1/2 mile from the larger house (above the road and with the it's own observatory) that is along route to the final. Since it had the built in observatory, i just assumed that this house was his.

If so, then the one that is for sale was his previous house and he is moving into this larger house? Or is he building yet another house on down passed the gates that are along side the final?

The link is to Britannia Manor 1 or 2 that is just up the road from Britannia Manor III. Manor 3 is NOT for sale and 4.1M of the house linked for sale is a STEAL. There are tons of youtube videos on that house and all of its secret pasages and rooms. If I had a spare 4.1M laying about, that house would be SOLD. I'd offer 3.5M cash and negotiate a deal of course.

#18 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

...and when leaving the Tuscan Eatery, don't back your truck into the guardrail and put a dent in your rear bumper. I'm just sayin'! :disappoint:

We ate there too. Back when Richard had a $20 coupon on the cache page. I believe Richard was the one putting the funds up for the coupon. The price was reasonable and the food and service were excellent. We got $20 off and then gave the money to the waiter. We will be going back there on our next trip to Austin. It is the best place I have ever had dinner in Austin.

#19 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

Secret Spaces - Britannia Manor:
  • KeyResults likes this

#20 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Last month, we went to the property for a geocaching event. It was held at his Shakespearean amphitheater.
Doesn't everyone have their own amphitheater in their back yard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users