• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 djmmcj5

djmmcj5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Howdy! I am new to this, my son(6.5 years old) and I just started about a month ago.  We have found 108 caches so far.  My question is how often do yall find pathtags? We have found 2 different ones so far.  Just wandering how often yall run across them?  thanks in advance.

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Unfortunately, not too often in the field.  But every once in a while.  It really makes it a nice find when you get one.

You'll find a lot more at your local events, as cachers who have one (and have some on them) are usually willing to give one of theirs to new cachers.  O0 
Posted Image

#3 djmmcj5

djmmcj5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

That would be neat to see them at an event, but its truly such a great rush and such a thrill to find them in the wild!  My son especially loves to find "treasures". 

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

Several of the geocaching stores that sell coins also sell 'generic' pathtags where you can buy 5 or 10 -- so he could 'have his own' to trade out with ones found in caches. 
Posted Image

#5 crane1223

crane1223

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

Pathtags are really exciting to find in caches in the wild.  They are also easily overlooked.  I keep hoping to find some when I go out of town.  P.S. welcome to Geocaching!

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

Hi djmmcj5!

My son ThePaperPilot (age 14) is way more into Pathtags than logging caches... he's purchased a few sets of generic ones so he can trade with cachers that have personalized ones.  I'll probably get him his own (he has already designed it) for his birthday or Christmas, but he's been happy with the generic ones to trade for two years.

Events are for sure the way to go to collect them.  Since pathtags are signature items, I encouraged both of my sons to make their own signature items to trade with.  PuzzlePainter took a completed puzzle and flipped it over and painted a picture on the back.  Then he labeled each piece as "PuzzlePainter" and he uses that as his signature item.  Personally, I think that is way cooler than a pathtag and I am very proud of him for coming up with such an original idea.

Posted Image

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

I thought this was a very nice signature item.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 djmmcj5

djmmcj5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Thanks to all for yalls replies.  All had good ideas, my son, in his "army stage" wants to place army figures in all the caches we find, it is his current "signature item" LOL.  I am just happy he enjoys this outdoor activity.  I am sure our swag will evolve as he ages.

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Thanks to all for yalls replies.  All had good ideas, my son, in his "army stage" wants to place army figures in all the caches we find, it is his current "signature item" LOL.  I am just happy he enjoys this outdoor activity.  I am sure our swag will evolve as he ages.

Maybe you could help him put his name on the bottom of the figures.
Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

I also saw one where someone made toothpick flags.  The green men were holding the flags.  The flags were simply pieces of paper with the caching name on it, sealed in wide packing tape for waterproofing. 

'Course you could just sharpie the bottom of the base with the name, too.  Less labor intensive. 
Posted Image

#11 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

We try to leave 'Don't Mess With Texas' (signed) cards in caches that we find in other states, or we have some toothpick Texas flags that we sign and leave.  We only leave our tags as trade for ones we find, or if it is a special cache, like a milestone.  Some of the unique homemade sig items are really neat, but hard to store.
You might try to print some business cards on the computer as sig items.  They are easily changed.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users