150 replies to this topic

#101 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Okay, I made this Challenge to test the system.  As I understood the rules you have to give a specific location.  I didn't expect anyone to do the one I started it with (but they did).  The idea was for people to find Quadruples and go to them.

#102 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

The inability to edit the descriptions of these things is a problem.  If you forget to cover some point or the other there's no way to correct. 

#103 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

Well, that and you can't enforce them.  See my CLAPs one with someone 'doing it' from WA and someone from FL.  You don't own it, so you can't enforce.  Their rule is basic:  "Challenges run on the honor system. Say you completed it? We believe you. After all, you're only cheating yourself!"
Posted Image

#104 bografan

bografan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Katy

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

I just completed http://coord.info/CX502 at the No Label Brewing Company, and when I put in co-ords, it gave me the option of selecting the brewery itself as the location instead of raw co-ords. I also put in my note of where I was and that it was the tallest thing for miles...

It said "challenge completed" and my pic showed up in the gallery. I recheck my challenge list, and it shows it completed.

15 minutes later it's deleted by persons unknown. No trace of my logging it, no pic.      Wonderful.

I'm resubmitting it with no mention of the company- We'll see.

#105 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

Well, that and you can't enforce them.  See my CLAPs one with someone 'doing it' from WA and someone from FL.  You don't own it, so you can't enforce.  Their rule is basic:  "Challenges run on the honor system. Say you completed it? We believe you. After all, you're only cheating yourself!"

If they count as caches found it may put an end to "It's all about the numbers" because the numbers will become meaningless.  In one night of armchair Challenges I could do a thousand or so.

#106 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

We just claimed 3 challenges.  It is strange, because the website says we have 3 more finds, but still lists our caches.  I checked on cacherstats.com, and it has our actual cache finds listed.  I'd like it if it stays that way, to keep people from padding their stats.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#107 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

I just completed http://coord.info/CX502 at the No Label Brewing Company
15 minutes later it's deleted by persons unknown. No trace of my logging it, no pic.      Wonderful.

The link you posted is a valid challenge, but I suspect its not yours (no way of telling that I know of...).
So maybe there was a snafu with the servers and submission.

#108 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

The CX502 - Show Us Your Landmarks, is one of the official Worldwide challenges.
Posted Image

#109 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

The CX502 - Show Us Your Landmarks, is one of the official Worldwide challenges.

Exactly my point.  Seems like there might have been a problem with duplciate CX #'s between local and worldwide?!?

I read that NativTxn in College Station has a similar issue. 

Just speculating : Adam's cancelled challenge might not have anything to do with No Label Brewery being in the description.

#110 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Two questions.
  • When a Challenge is archived do people keep their completions like when a cache is archived?
  • Can a Challenge require paying for a specific commercial activity like riding the roller-coaster in Kemah or taking one of the Party Boats in Galveston?

#111 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,371 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Two questions.

• When a Challenge is archived do people keep their completions like when a cache is archived?
  • Can a Challenge require paying for a specific commercial activity like riding the roller-coaster in Kemah or taking one of the Party Boats in Galveston?

For the 2nd question, the challenge at the zoo shows that the challenge can require you to pay an entrance fee before doing the challenge.  I really hope that doesn't become the trend though.  I don't like having to pay entrance fees to cache.
Posted Image

#112 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

When a Challenge is archived do people keep their completions like when a cache is archived?

So far, yes (at least for us).

#113 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

I really hope that doesn't become the trend though.  I don't like having to pay entrance fees to cache.

Like those 'regular' geocaches in state parks - or even Houston's First and a few EarthCaches in Armand Bayou Nature Center?  Nothing makes you have to go there.  And most places (all I've seen for traditional caches) the fee is nominal and goes to the charitable entity's upkeep, etc. 

While I have seen some for-profit entity challenges, I don't think there will be a huge trend in that direction.  I also think they will likely get flagged as being commercial and archived. 

Overall, I don't think there will be any significant change in percentages of challengs vs. geocaches that have assocaited fees at nonprofit type entities (zoos, parks, nature centers, etc.), but could be wrong.  Only time will tell.
Posted Image

#114 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

For the 2nd question, the challenge at the zoo shows that the challenge can require you to pay an entrance fee before doing the challenge.

The zoo isn't a commercial activity.  The roller coaster at Kemah and the Party Boat are commercial/for profit.  I feel sure it's acceptable to have Challenges that require nonprofit fees.  The Baytown Nature Center requires fees most of the time.  The State park a Huntsville, Armond Bayou Nature Center, etc. all require fees. 

#115 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

For the 2nd question, the challenge at the zoo shows that the challenge can require you to pay an entrance fee before doing the challenge.

The zoo isn't a commercial activity. 

Really?? Have you been there lately?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#116 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

Attached Files

#117 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Barely.
They are as non profit as NCAA football.

#118 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

I know what you mean.  But where do you draw that line between free vs. commercial?  Kemah Boardwalk is clearly commercial.  Yet it costs you nothing to go there.  No admission fee... just if you want to eat/drink/do something.  So, one could have a photo taken in on the boardwalk with the boats in the background, or infront of the roller coaster, etc.  Is that commercial in nature?  Any more so than a photo at a retail establishment?  The Boardwalk is, after all, a major destination point down our way.

Posted Image

#119 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

I know what you mean.  But where do you draw that line between free vs. commercial?

By commercial I meant an activity or business operated for profit.  Said the other way 'round, it's an activity not classified as nonprofit. 

#120 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

Geocaching is as commercial as it gets...at it's most basic level you need internet access to get to the site, so short of walking from home to a public terminal, eyeballing the cache location and going and finding it (a la Nebulus) then you have to pay money to play:  Gas, GPSr, Smartphone, typical internet access (fee-based) ...yet if you mention anything commercial it's a Bad Thing....  kinda kooky.... ???

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users