150 replies to this topic

#1 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I'm not sure I understand the desire to have this added to the sport of geocaching, but I will keep an open mind a tad longer.

http://blog.geocachi...s-a-sneak-peek/

Posted Image

#2 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

ha ha ha... I can just see it now... "Moon over Bourbon Street" an action challenge cache.
Posted Image

#3 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

this looks ridiculous im not sure what the point is gonna be

#4 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Lots of varied re-action on the blog.

I can see the potential for much abuse, interpretation and "differing opinions".  In May, I attempted a grandfathered virtual in the Grand Canyon.  To complete the cache, you had to fill out the words listed on a particular sign.  When I got to the location, my phone was not able to pull up the cache description so I went from memory and snapped a picture of my GPS with the sign so I could complete it when I got a signal again.  I took a picture of a sign 12 feet away from the sign the cache owner wanted.  He disallowed my find.  :o

After hiking over a 1.5 miles down into the Grand Canyon, I proved that I was at the location, but that wasn't good enough for the owner. :tickedoff:

In his defense, he reminded me that if it were a traditional 12 feet away but I couldn't find it I would post a dnf.  :-X  He was right, but he better not look for any of my hides.      :knuppel2:

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

I think this is their "replacement" for virtual caches that they've been hinting at for a while now.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Are we going to see "Go into the shop and SING" caches now?

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Go to and ice skating rink and do a quad jump on the ice wearing a sequined outfit! :D
Posted Image

#8 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Go to and ice skating rink and do a quad jump on the ice wearing a sequined outfit! :D

I think that one of the pre-requists for an ACTION CHALLENGE is that the cache owner must have performed the action themselves prior to publishing!!!!! >:D

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

I think that one of the pre-requists for an ACTION CHALLENGE is that the cache owner must have performed the action themselves prior to publishing!!!!! >:D

Well then, I think Linden qualifies!  :o

#10 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

i think that these are going to be a problem going to have some stupid ideas out there for sure im positive of that

#11 Kalvey

Kalvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationFresno

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

Personally, I like this idea a lot. I know that I am just a newbie (112 finds), but when half of those are in light poles, I don't see how that can be more fun or challenging than this. My favorite caches so far are the ones that have taken me to cool places that I've never been to before. I'm really looking forward to these challenges, and I hope that Houston leads the way so we can show the GC community all of the amazing things that our city has to offer!

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Well then, I think Linden qualifies!  :o

I don't own a sequined outfit.
Posted Image

#13 bografan

bografan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Katy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

I will be placing a No Label Brewing Company Action Challenge Cache: You must drink your alloted 4 beers and find the traditional on the company property within 15 minutes. You will be timed. :)

#14 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

Personally, I like this idea a lot. I know that I am just a newbie (112 finds), but when half of those are in light poles, I don't see how that can be more fun or challenging than this. My favorite caches so far are the ones that have taken me to cool places that I've never been to before. I'm really looking forward to these challenges, and I hope that Houston leads the way so we can show the GC community all of the amazing things that our city has to offer!

Awesome!  A newbie that understands the game.  My favorites also are the ones that take me to neat places.

As for the challenges, I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best.

#15 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

This reminds me of a certain terracache where you had to solve 5x5 Rubik's Cube in order to get credit for the find.

Rubik's Professor

Of course a certain cacher that lives in Baytown took the cube home, solved it, then brought it back the next week....

Posted Image

#16 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

You mean again?

Are we going to see "Go into the shop and SING" caches now?

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

This reminds me of a certain terracache where you had to solve 5x5 Rubik's Cube in order to get credit for the find.

Rubik's Professor

Of course a certain cacher that lives in Baytown took the cube home, solved it, then brought it back the next week....

The rules didn't specifically prohibit that!  OK, so maybe they did.  I like to consider them "guidelines"...  ::)

#18 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:17 AM

I liked virtuals and didn't really like waymarking, so this seems like a good idea to me.  Some of the most interesting locations I've been to have been virtuals - which is kind of the point.  Not sure how they will / can regulate the types of activities which will be allowed, but some do see some opportunity for abuse (see above logs)  :-)

#19 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

This just seems like Groundspeak realizing that they've made unpopular decisions and bringing back virtuals and SLR(Special Logging Requirements) and just calling them a different name.  I don't have a problem with either. 
Posted Image

#20 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

I'm reserving judgement, too.  If you don't want to do it, don't.  The same thing goes for all types of caches.  Variety is the spice of life.  Maybe there will be a new type of Challenge (sponsored by McBurger) to take a picture of you eating a Double Cheese Cardiac Arrest with Bacon sandwich (holding your GPSr, of course).

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users