41 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

So I'm out at night benchmarking with my bro inlaw and I pull out my trusty mag light and start searching. 3 D cells maglight. A minute or two later he gets out of the car with his iPad and a wee little flashlight that looks like my 2x AA battery mag light. The he switched it on and oh my... "Let there be light!" He is definitely into the gadgets, but man oh man that was awesome. So, now I'm trying to educate myself on these current super lights to see what is best value for good performance. He said he paid well over $100.00 for that light. Is that really what they cost?

Your take would be helpful.

Do you night cache? How do you use?
Which do you carry? Incandescent, HID, LED,
More than 1?
Waterproof?
Battery life?
Color of light?

So many choices, but wondering from a geocachers viewpoint what works well and maybe what doesn't?

K

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Check this out.

http://hgcs.org/inde...09199#msg109199

I have seen Kirbydox's flashlight in-person and can attest that it's a portable sun.
Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

I prefer something small and bright enough to see but not so bright as to draw unwanted attention. Check the number of lumens that the flashlight produces. Also the cost of a cr123 is high so I prefer the ones that use AAA's. You might wante one for urban caching and one for I am in the middle of nowhere light.
Posted Image

#4 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

I user a straight strion.  Yes it is about $100.  Advantages are that it is small enough to carry on your belt, rechargeable, and has three different brightness.  Love that light.

Eagle

Posted using tapatalk from my EVO!
Posted Image

#5 bografan

bografan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Katy

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Still gotta give props to my P7 LEDLenser by COAST. Adjustable focus, 200 lumens, takes rechargable AAA's... A great pocket sized light for $70 if you don't mind some artifacts but want flood-to-spot on the fly and like being able to see 100 yards at night.. Cheaper end, Coleman MAX takes AA or AAA's depending on the model and costs around 30 bucks. No focus, no real throw because of the med/heavy orange peel on the reflector but has worked for me while caching for years now. Up against my P7 and my hopped up Mag, it's a great light that's now a backup. You can get them at Academy and whatnot.

A great forum if you have flashlight questions: http://www.candlepow...9dd0e5f628a0c02

Some cheap BRIGHT lights here: http://www.shiningbe...vlet/StoreFront

More good lights: http://www.4sevens.com/

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

I prefer something small and bright enough to see but not so bright as to draw unwanted attention. Check the number of lumens that the flashlight produces. Also the cost of a cr123 is high so I prefer the ones that use AAA's. You might wante one for urban caching and one for I am in the middle of nowhere light.

I like that my flashlight has white or red leds.  Do most of my searching with red.
Posted Image

#7 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

Couldn't find the old flashlight thread so . . .

I just got an UltraFire C8 XM-L T6 for $18. It has a clicky, clicky button in the tailpiece. Some ads say it's 1300 lumens and it has reasonably good spread. It lights up the entire side of a house a block away. I can't see any houses further away, but it would probably do them too. It has three speeds. The lowest is about like an ordinary flashlight.

Edited to add:

It's 1" body, 1 3/4" head, 5 1/2" long

Attached Files

Edited by Thot, 18 November 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Where did you get it and are you happy with it? I'm hoping Santa doesn't hose me again this year on a portable sun type flashlight.
Posted Image

#9 ThatGeekGuy

ThatGeekGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Thot,
Does it take a standard rechargeable AA, or a special form factor?

#10 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

I just got it day before yesterday so I've only played with it but I like it. It actually has five modes, but one just flashes and the other flashes SOS -- . . . _ _ _ . . .

I got the flashlight here . The price has already dropped $3 since I ordered.

It uses one 18650 rechargeable battery. I got these and this charger . I got the two battery version of this charger, but since the flashlight only uses one battery I think that was a mistake, since I don't know how to charge one battery in a two battery charger. :tickedoff:

All these are free shipping, but it's from China or somewhere out to the country and takes a while. I think mine came in about two weeks.

Edited to add:

You can get a package deal on eBay Here I think those may be better batteries than I got.

Edited by Thot, 18 November 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#11 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Here's the previous thread. My Romisen disappeared, that's why I bought the UltraFire

#12 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

I'm not much of a video person. I've probably made a total of 15 altogether. Here's a video of three flashlights shining on a bush in my yard. The sound isn't good so I'll explain, #1 is an ordinary, old fashioned two D-Cell light. #2 is my 100 lumen Smith & Wesson torch. #3 it the UltraFire.

#13 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Ok, this may sound like wanting to have my cake and eat it too scenario, but is there something like the UltraFire C8 XM-L T6, that uses AA's (or AAA's) and is still not a brute in terms of cost? I've got a lot of AA NiMHs and I want something that has a great flood and decent through capability like was shown on the UltraFire, but I don't want proprietary batteries, nor do I want to spend more than say $30 on it.

I may need to change my caching name to CheapArseCacher :notme:

Edited by TAZ427, 22 November 2011 - 04:51 PM.

• empressone likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

There are flashlights out there that meet your needs. They were talking about this one an the NTN facebook page this morning. http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B003D7LHMC Only part I question is how long those batteries will last?

Eagle
Posted Image

#15 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Not AAA, but I really like my Task Force 3 watt LED light. It takes 2 C-size batteries and is lightly longer than the typical 3xAA lights, but it is amazingly bright. The web site says 100lumens, but it feels like more to me, and the distance is outstanding. I can easily light up something on the other side of a field.
And you get them at Lowes for $22. I got one for my son and later went back for one for me. Love it. The Model #: FT-NS-2C 3WATT
Posted Image

#16 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

I just got it day before yesterday so I've only played with it but I like it. It actually has five modes, but one just flashes and the other flashes SOS -- . . . _ _ _ . . .

I got the flashlight here . The price has already dropped $3 since I ordered.

It uses one 18650 rechargeable battery. I got these and this charger . I got the two battery version of this charger, but since the flashlight only uses one battery I think that was a mistake, since I don't know how to charge one battery in a two battery charger. :tickedoff:

All these are free shipping, but it's from China or somewhere out to the country and takes a while. I think mine came in about two weeks.

Edited to add:

You can get a package deal on eBay Here I think those may be better batteries than I got.

you talked me into it and i just ordered this flashlight off of ebay the package deal you talked about

#17 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, I just ordered the kit off ebay too. Also, will probably grab a Mini-MagLite at a Black Friday deal and will consider upgrading it w/ a 3W CREE LED replacement.

#18 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

Any any DIYers out there with the knowledge or gumption to help me rig a batter operated light that has a photosensor so the light is only on when it is dark. A variable degree of "on" would be a bonus.
Posted Image

#19 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

Hey saw a new Energizer headlamp at lowes tonight... 70 lumens on the main spot led. Also has two side white leds as a flood mode and two red leds for night vision.

Pretty cool, but I really really hope no one buys it. Can you image what YOUR night vision will be after someone turns around at shines a full 70 lumens in your eyes from 5 feet away. Yikes!
Posted Image

#20 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

I was at my local Home Depot for BF sale, and they had a Tech 5 piece light set: It has 3 96 Lumen Cree Lights (3AA's), and 2 headlamps (only 10 lumens but beotter than what I had w/ 4 white LEDs and 2 Red - it has 3 modes.) This was for $19.88 note it's not the HD BF add, but I picked it up to have something mid range in terms of brightness. I'll be interested in comparing this verse the Ultra Fire C8 LM-X 1300 Lumen one that I ordered on eBay when it comes in. I'll have to say those 96 Lumen Cree's even though are relatively lightweight seem to be pretty bright in comparison to the cheap LEDs I'm use to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users