• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGeekGuy

ThatGeekGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Is anyone using Google Earth on Android? I'm running it on an Android tablet just fine, but I can't get the Geocaching layer from the GC website to show up on the map. And the GC website doesn't have a software forum, but they do appear to have a large amount of pompous as#es.

I'd like to get this working, be the perfect companion for my GPSr....

#2 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Haven't tried it but could give it a try this weekend. 
Posted Image

#3 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Works great for us here on a Samsung Droid Charge phone.
Also, welcome to the GC.com forums... a true snake pit. :knuppel2:

#4 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

Is anyone using Google Earth on Android? I'm running it on an Android tablet just fine, but I can't get the Geocaching layer from the GC website to show up on the map. And the GC website doesn't have a software forum, but they do appear to have a large amount of pompous as#es.

I'd like to get this working, be the perfect companion for my GPSr....

YUP YUP YUP.

I have not gone on those forums in over 6 years  :crazy2:

#5 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

And the GC website doesn't have a software forum, but they do appear to have a large amount of pompous as#es.

An unpleasant place indeed.  They follow the example set by the leader.

#6 ThatGeekGuy

ThatGeekGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Works great for us here on a Samsung Droid Charge phone.
Also, welcome to the GC.com forums... a true snake pit. :knuppel2:

Thanks for the welcome, nice maladjusted group here, think I'm gonna like it just fine. ;D

Just want to clarify, I can run Google Earth just fine. I just can't get the Geocaching map layer to appear. Also tried on my Samsung Galaxy S, same thing. If you've got it working, I'm jealous.

Really don't want to buy a Windows tablet, or drag my netbook around. But the desktop Windows version of Google Earth works with the GC layer great, and has a better feature set.

#7 gadgetech

gadgetech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Let me know if you solve that one. The Android version seems somewhat limited. It does have a way to set a different database, provided you have the URL for it. Perhaps that will get us there? I wouldn't know where to start getting the URL for a Google Earth Geocaching database though.
gadgetech

Posted Image

#8 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

I might try it again on my Xoom tonight. I feed it an Ice Cream Sandwich for dinner last night and I know a number of things changed. Not all for the good.

Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Mmm... ice cream...

ICS is not out for the Toshiba yet.. can't wait.
The ICS ROM for my phone isn't matured enough for me to take the plunge just yet...

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#10 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Since the gc.com layer for google earth is intentionally fuzzed, why would you do that vs c:geo live maps with the satellite layer active? I have the google satellite map showing accurate cache placement on my 10.1" Thrive - would that accomplish the same goal?
Posted Image

#11 crossmage

crossmage

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

ICS is not out for the Toshiba yet.. can't wait.

+1
Posted Image

#12 TDKRacing

TDKRacing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Um, I have an Android phone. It is an HTC EVO 4G. It has the Google Earth layer for me. I just hit navagate to cache and I get a choice of maps. I always choose Goggle Earth. Then I go to the compass screen as I get closer to the cache.
Perhaps you could force a close and redo the app?

That is the only suggestion I have sorry.

#13 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

This is referencing the gc.com kml file.

-message composed via phone-

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#14 gadgetech

gadgetech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNW Houston

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

I use Google Earth for Android on my Acer A500 occasionally, but every time I enter a set of geo coordinates, it rounds it off to the nearest street address. Not very useful for geocaching. And I still haven't figured a method for importing GC layers into it. Works fine on my desktop, or laptop, but the Android version is all but useless, unless I'm missing a hidden setting somewhere.
gadgetech

Posted Image

#15 bbqandbeer

bbqandbeer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

The kml file on the page is useless. They purposefully have a server that does nothing but obfuscate the coordinates by between 50 and 200 feet in the kml. It's only good to get a general idea where caches are .. say for planning a route between cities. They do this on purpose and it sucks.

Your best bet would be to use gpx files on your droid with live map software, like c-geo or with locus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users