88 replies to this topic

#61 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Rain is great.  Wasn't sure what it was.  It's been so long.  Kind of ruins my plans to crawl to Danger Island though.

#62 Belteshazzar89

Belteshazzar89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

We're arguing about the rules governing who can hide a geocache, but in fact I've had way more issues in dealing with those who review them. Prime Reviewer is often too nosy to be objective, and goes beyond his capacity as an enforcer of the guidelines, crashing right on into enforcing what he or she thinks is a viable idea for a geocache. Prime Reviewer has much more ability as far as hurting the fun of geocaching than new geocachers do.

#63 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

I think you are still safe going for Danger Island. It will take quite a bit more rain to be an issue.  O0

#64 GrangerFam

GrangerFam

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationNeartown Houston

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

I think you are still safe going for Danger Island. It will take quite a bit more rain to be an issue.  O0

Andy, let me know when you are planning to go.  I'd like to watch.

#65 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Bring a video camera and post it on YouTube.  :2funny:

Andy, let me know when you are planning to go.  I'd like to watch.

Posted Image

#66 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Traditional Cache
GET OUT GEOCACHE CLUB #1
A cache by mbarnes3922 Hidden : 06/18/2011

WHOOP !!! FTF @ 7pm. Apparently when I got back to log this one, it had been deactivated, but we left to get it quite some time ago. We went to GZ but like the prior searcher found an empty lot. I read the cache page and thought, maybe we can find it without coords. So off we went. The clue helped a good bit and sure enough, we turned it up. Only 1500' off from the posted coords. The bad news is that it's too close to another cache so if you use the coords I got, it'll be archived right away. I couldn't find that cache by the way and I was using the coords. #1150 SL TNLN TFTC We left to find this one before it had been archived and did not have the new coords, so we're taking the find.

#67 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

My first hide I was about 50 ft off.  My repost and my second hind are dead on.  First hide I used a Garmin etrex.  All other hides were done with my Evo smartphone using a GPS averaging app.  Also according to google maps they are dead on. 

(I adopted a few as well, and they appear to be off by a little, but am trying not to change to much, so I left them).

Eagle
Posted Image

#68 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

I got a FTF this morning for a cache (GC33VJG) from a cacher that created an account and hid a cache on the same day.  It wasn't hidden very well, especially since it is a potential muggle area. 
What is really strange is that the description says "Saw this spot while walking along the trail looking for other caches in the area."
Coords were good, but the CO must not have had luck on the ones he/she was looking for, so they made it really easy to find. :D

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#69 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Resurrecting an old thread -- I saw this cache hasn't been found yet and the description is odd at best.  Can't figure out what the "Reference Point" waypoint that's the same as the listed coordinates for the cache is all about...

http://coord.info/GC44GVQ

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#70 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Here's another one for you.

GC41VJ5

#71 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I noticed both caches in question were placed and after about a month then owners have not longed in since.

Posted Image

#72 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

The owner of GC41VJ5 posted this note today:

"I am working on getting the correct coordinates updated! The coordinates are slightly off and do not lead you to the cache, however, it is there still! I will update when it is all figured out. I am sorry for the confusion!!"

I think jackrock would agree that "slightly off" is not a precise description of the coordinate accuracy, but it's nice that he/she is looking into the matter.

#73 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Interesting read and this is why I much prefer to look for caches by experienced geocachers.

TXGA SETX Representative

#74 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Interesting read and this is why I much prefer to look for caches by experienced geocachers.

Yeah same here.    Which is also why I waited awhile before hiding any caches.  I wanted to learn what makes a good hide and how to hide a good cache!

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#75 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I knew this one looked "dicey" but there were a few other woodsy caches not too far away, and I was up for a walk in the woods (too much urban caching lately).  I thought about hiking a bit farther down the LSHT since my topo showed a likely bridge some distance from where I was, but it was already mid-afternoon and I wanted to grab the other caches so I decided to throw in the towel rather than waste any more time.  I'll definitely go back if the coordinates get corrected though, it's a nice hiking area.

• jackrock and Baytown Bert like this

#76 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

I didn't expect to find the cache I looked for but there were others in the area that I was going for and I really wanted a hike.  My dog had a blast the entire time and didn't care that the coords were off.  :2funny:   I figured I could add to the log that TT had posted and hoped maybe something would be done or at least people would know that it's off and not make a trip just for it. 

#77 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Here's one we found yesterday that fits the name of this thread -- Geogardening.  farmtwins have no finds and only this one hide, but it was well done and the coordinates and hints were great.  OK, the container could probably be a bit more robust, but it's somewhat sheltered and everything inside was in good shape.  I guess we can't judge all books by their cover!

• jackrock likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#78 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

GC43NAB This is one that puzzles me. Several experienced cachers have DNF this one from the start but two cachers with 1 find and 20 finds found it and claimed it to be easy. I am even wondering if those profiles are real.. Even the cacher with 20 finds logged most of their caches in one day everywhere from Alvin, Pearland, Memorial, and the Heights.. all in one day and their first day...

Coords are obviously off as it puts you in the road.

#79 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

So last night I had 3 caches that got published within 6 miles of me, one of them less than a mile.  So when I saw that the one cache so close, at 2:30 am we jumped in the truck, but after 30 minutes didn't find it.  The closest to gz was about 85' but fence blocked our way. 

On the way home Scott was looking the co's profile and he started caching 10/13/12 has 44 finds and the 3 caches that just came out.

Looking at all 3 caches and google maps, the descriptions didn't match the map.

The one Ryan's Light  Simple lpc park and grab but looking at the map it was a wooded area.  I was telling Scott that with the name of Ryan's Light that it sounds like the cache should be cross I -45 in the parking lot of Ryan's.  So when Scott went to pick up dinner he stopped at Ryan's and checked each LP and yep I was right ... so the coords were about a mile off 

Posted Image

#80 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

That is why some people have sockpuppet accounts to give others a chance for a FTF.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users