• PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

Tantillos.com of Webster, TX.
Posted Image
Posted Image

What got you interested in caching?
Tantillos.com: We saw an article about geocaching in the Houston Chronicle in fall 2006. Equipped with our old Garmin Street Pilot GPSr (yes, the one that weighs a ton and takes SIX AA batteries to run for five minutes outside of the car), we headed out to find our first cache. Our first find was a multi, Deep in the Park of Texas (GCX28C). The second cache we found was a light skirt cache. When we lifted that skirt and the matchstick container rolled out, we felt like spies, and we were hooked!

How did you decide on your caching name?
Tantillos.com: In hindsight, it would be fun to have come up with something caching clever. But, we chose tantillos.com because that’s our web site.

When you cache, what equipment do you use? (PDA, Garmin, Magellan, software)
Tantillos.com: One day, we would love to log caches just by thinking about it, but until then, we use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, the Geocaching app on our iPhones and GSAK to keep up with our stats.

What are your all-time favorite cache(s)?
Tantillos.com: Our favorite caches are any of the ones that are hoisted up into a tree and involve a tool to retrieve. We also enjoy finding caches that haven’t been found in a while. We also enjoy the caches that take us some place to see something we never would have found without caching, such as Howard Hughes’ gravesite, the Funeral Museum, art museums, the Orange Show, the beer can house – stuff like that. But to name a specific cache that is our favorite would be way too hard. We enjoy them all.

Do you have any special caching adventures you want to tell us about?
Tantillos.com: The Geocaching Lower Arkansas Division (GLAD) were hosting an event, so we were pretty sure we’d be able to scoop up some FTF’s in and around Andrea’s hometown. We drove all night, stopping for caches along the way. Then we saw our target, a FTF! GZ was right at the end of a driveway. We hoped the driveway was the cache owner’s, but we really had no way of knowing for sure. It was still dark, but we really wanted the FTF. Armed with a flashlight and hoping we didn’t get shot, we started examining the yard decorations. We saw a little fire hydrant on the side of the driveway and thought it had potential. It moved a little when we pushed on it, so at this point we figured we were about to get the FTF or really ruin some homeowner’s morning. Since we didn’t get shot and we are still caching today, obviously it was an FTF about 300 miles away from home.

Have any "Most embarrassing Geo-moment" you would like to share? Details please!
Tantillos.com: Our most embarrassing moment probably sounds a lot like everyone else’s. It involves getting busted. We were at Bay Area Park looking for a cache. We had found at least 100 by this point and thought we were pros. Our stealth was immaculate. No one had any idea what we were doing. So, there we were, using our sticks to dig and poke at the pine straw under a likely tree. Pretty sure we could have only been more subtle had we actually been using shovels. About that time, we heard a voice behind us. “I usually try to be a little more discreet when I’m doing that.” It was Sharpbiker, who had actually been watching us for several minutes from across the way. Lesson learned. We always assume someone is watching now. Even if it’s just cows.

What is your favorite type of cache (traditional, multi, puzzle) and why?
Tantillos.com: We prefer regular, straight-forward, here are the coordinates go and find it caches.

What is your favorite local cache?
Tantillos.com: Marcus’ favorite cache is “X” Marks the Spot, the final coordinates because it took him 45 minutes to get in and 45 minutes to get out, using a machete both ways. Andrea enjoyed finding the cache that was under the mailbox with the R2-D2 covering because we were hoping to see one of those mailboxes and geocaching led us right to it.

How about your favorite out of state cache?
Tantillos.com: It’s a toss up between Dunn’s River Falls because we had to go to Jamaica and climb up a waterfall to get it or the Diamond Mine in Arkansas because who doesn’t like to look for diamonds while they are getting a smiley?

Summer or Winter caching? Why?
Tantillos.com: We like winter caching because there are fewer snakes.

When a new cache is listed, are you tempted to go for FTF?
Tantillos.com: Sure, if they are within a mile of our house or over 100 miles away from our house. But we hardly ever go for FTF’s that are 5 to 10 miles away from home. We’d never make it.

Tell us about your cache mobile.
Tantillos.com: We have the roughest, toughest, dirtiest Prius you’ll ever see. We’ve taken it places we wouldn’t even take our SUV to find a cache. We’ve driven over countless dirt roads, grass roads, ditches, bushes and curbs. But at an average of 45 MPG, it’s the perfect caching choice.

What other hobbies do you have?
Tantillos.com: Bird watching and geocaching. Knitting and geocaching. Cross-stitching and geocaching. Bike riding, especially if you can find caches along the way.

Do you currently have any caching goals that you are working towards?
Tantillos.com: The next BIG milestone will be 7,000, but we would like to get a cache in Canada and all the states between here and there this year. And our running goal is always to find the next one.

Is it all about the numbers?
Tantillos.com: Of course it is. Why would we log them and keep up with our finds and talk about milestones if it wasn’t? We think that’s all part of the fun. We like to check the stats and see how we did this year compared to last year, how far we’ve travelled to find a cache, who all has found the caches we’ve hidden.

This post has been promoted to an article

#2 Maxwell's Hammer

Maxwell's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

Great interview!  Congratulations, Tantillos.com!

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

Congrats, y'all.  I know you've gotten a couple FTFs on mine.  If you like Special Tools, I have one for ya.  ;)  ::)

And I think under hobbies you forgot to mention Bike riding and kayaking, especially if you can find caches along the way.  Congrats on your new toy -- and 27 CLAPS caches in one day!

Posted Image

#4 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

Are you sure you ever want to be logging your caches by just thinking about them?  That might be a bit dangerous.  We all know we have to put that filter on them to not say what we are really thinking about some of those caches. 

I'm glad to see such a nice couple featured as the cachers of the month. 
Posted Image

#5 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:10 AM

Congratulations, Tantillos, you are a fun couple of cachers! Good hunting!

#6 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thanks....and congrats, I enjoyed reading the article.  You folks found the first cache that I placed and I remember that Mrs Tantillos.com spent the whole time looking at a yellow-crowned night heron and a turtle.  :D  I've often found myself doing the same thing...forgetting about a cache for a while and just enjoying the nature and surroundings!

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

Congratulations to a very nice caching couple. I enjoyed reading the interview.
Posted Image

#8 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

I met these guys back on February 10, 2007 when they were minutes behind me for FTF on a Sharpbiker's Chasing ParkerPlus #1 cache in a Baytown Park. They didn't have many finds at that point but have been like the energizer since !!

Posted Image

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:43 AM

I love y'all's straight forward answers and find I agree with all of them.  Congrats!

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 SavvySIREGirl

SavvySIREGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Great interview!  Hope to meet up with you sometime soon!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users