23 replies to this topic

#1 DadGreatFinder

DadGreatFinder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCy-Fair

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

How often do events occur?  We started geocaching about a month ago and are very excited to attend an event and start meeting some of the groups whose names we've been seeing so much of....

-Chris
DadGreatFinder (DGF) of TheGreatFinders

#2 Cherokeecacher

Cherokeecacher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

It is hard to say how often they happen because they are usually organized by different people, for different reasons, at different times. There is a BIG event near Dallas this weekend called Geowoodstock IV. People are comming from all over the world for this one.

Local events happen whenever someone feels like planning/hosting one. You could host one at a local park, restaurant, your home....etc. just for the sake of meeting people. Some events are annual with a specific purpose, like the New Years Eve event that Michelle and I host, or The Texas Challenge (a state wide get together) but most events are "local" and held for any excuse "we" can find to get together and share stories and adventures.

So when is "your" event going to happen?  >:D :angel:

#3 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hey Scott.......have you ever been to the Hickory Hollow, it's over by the racetrack near 249 and the beltway.  I have been working with them to set something up, looks like it may be easiest to simply have an impromptu.  I am still working on it, but I thought I'd get another opinion on the place.  If you get a chance, let me know what ya think about having one there...... >:D

And DGF, I hope I am onshore when you host yours, I'd love to meet you as well.  O0

#4 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFt. Bend County

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

For activities such as geocaching, smaller, impromptu events can be as much fun as the huge, organized ones. I've been thinking that Kitty Hollow Park here in Ft. Bend County would be a good place for an event later on when the temperatures start to moderate and the underbrush starts dying off. It's fairly centrally located for the southwest to southeast side of Houston and has all of the necessary facilities. It would be best to wait until after Labor Day since it's a popular place for family reunions. Apparently there are two caches in the park and there are a number within ten miles or so in any direction.

#5 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:41 AM

I am eying the 24th of June for one right now, it's still in it's planning stages but I'll let you know more as soon as it's solid.......... O0

#6 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

For activities such as geocaching, smaller, impromptu events can be as much fun as the huge, organized ones. I've been thinking that Kitty Hollow Park here in Ft. Bend County would be a good place for an event later on when the temperatures start to moderate and the underbrush starts dying off. It's fairly centrally located for the southwest to southeast side of Houston and has all of the necessary facilities. It would be best to wait until after Labor Day since it's a popular place for family reunions. Apparently there are two caches in the park and there are a number within ten miles or so in any direction.

Kitty Hollow is a nice park.  You would want to make sure that you could reserve a pavillion there that could hold from 80 to 100+ people because that's now about the number that come to the events locally. 

There are at least 3 caches in Kitty Hollow Park, but if you were to have an event there, it would be nice to see more than that in the park in time for the event.  It's a big park, so there should be room for several caches. 
Posted Image

#7 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:27 AM

I am eying the 24th of June for one right now, it's still in it's planning stages but I'll let you know more as soon as it's solid.......... O0

June 24th sounds like a great day for an event.  I hope you are able to set your plans into action.  In the meantime, you're just going to tease us aren't you?  >:D
Posted Image

#8 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:58 AM

There are at least 3 caches in Kitty Hollow Park, but if you were to have an event there, it would be nice to see more than that in the park in time for the event.  It's a big park, so there should be room for several caches.   

I know about the one I placed recently, and had been told there was a puzzle cache there. I take it that the third one is also a puzzle. It seems to me that when I first got involved with gc.com, that they showed a cache on the northern edge of the park.

#9 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

I know about the one I placed recently, and had been told there was a puzzle cache there. I take it that the third one is also a puzzle. It seems to me that when I first got involved with gc.com, that they showed a cache on the northern edge of the park.

I guess I had made the assumption that ECMBC was in Kitty Hollow Park too.  I guess I'll have to get Mr. Muddy Buddy to solve this one so that I'll know one way or the other.  There have been a few caches that have now been archived that used to be in that park.  One of the more memorable ones was one that Billy H. put in that park.  It was evil.  I had found it in the summer and had taken my son along with me to find it since hubby was at work.  It was placed so high that I couldn't reach it.  It was well within reach of Billy H. who is very, very tall, but for a shorty like me, I couldn't get to it.  My son had to retrieve it and I think that it was even tough for him to get to, but we devised some plan for him to be able to reach it.  That area of the park has not been cleared, so there are no longer any good hiding spots where that cache was. 

Posted Image

#10 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

Several of the areas are actually outside the park.  The other areas are being developed so there really are not that many places to put a cache.  Also for some reason the parks personnel get nervous when people enter the woods.  As far as a picnic area it is a good place.
Posted Image

#11 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

Several of the areas are actually outside the park.  The other areas are being developed so there really are not that many places to put a cache.  Also for some reason the parks personnel get nervous when people enter the woods.  As far as a picnic area it is a good place.

I imagine that's because of the alligators around there. I'll see if I can find the article about the HUGE one that was found close-by a couple of years ago. I think it weighed 2,100 pounds and was over 14 feet long. That's also the reason I placed GREAT CIRCLE where I did. I would have liked to have made it a regular or small cache, but that is not a good place to go into the bushes.

ECMBC is a little ways from Kitty Hollow. As SP said, there is so much development anywhere in the vicinity of Highway 6 that's it's hard to find a good place for a cache.

#12 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

I tried to find a picture of the Kitty Hollow gator, but the best I could find was a thread about it on a discussion group that didn't allow the photo. According to comments there, it was 18 1/2 feet long! Oddly enough, we never heard anything about it until my wife's cousin in Mississippi sent us an article about it, not knowing that it was only about 2 miles from our house.

I don't know if this is the cache located in Kitty Hollow or not. I found the link by accident while looking for info on the huge gator.

http://www.letterbox...=Snappy_Snapper

#13 prothos

prothos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx.

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

Jessie Jones park is on the north east side of Houston. There is currently 4 cahce's there. i believe one is a multi. Its a fairly large park with many walking path's and a mock up of a old frontier settlement. They hold a frontiers day outing there twice a year.

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

Jessie Jones park is on the north east side of Houston. There is currently 4 cahce's there. i believe one is a multi. Its a fairly large park with many walking patch and a mock up of a old frontier settlement. They hold a frontiers day outing there twice a year.

I was there for the NatureFest.  It was a great time as they offered a free guided boat ride on Spring Creek.  This is one of my all-time favorite parks.
Posted Image

#15 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

I tried to find a picture of the Kitty Hollow gator, but the best I could find was a thread about it on a discussion group that didn't allow the photo. According to comments there, it was 18 1/2 feet long! Oddly enough, we never heard anything about it until my wife's cousin in Mississippi sent us an article about it, not knowing that it was only about 2 miles from our house.

I don't know if this is the cache located in Kitty Hollow or not. I found the link by accident while looking for info on the huge gator.

http://www.letterbox...=Snappy_Snapper

I certainly wouldn't want to run into an alligator that big.  I didn't realize they got that big.  That would be scary. 

The other cache that is in Kitty Hollow is MunkieBread's puzzle cache.  It's GCTWRN.  Hopefully, she won't be upset that I gave away the location, but you'd still have to figure out the puzzle to figure out exactly where it is. 
Posted Image

#16 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

Jessie Jones park is on the north east side of Houston. There is currently 4 cahce's there. i believe one is a multi. Its a fairly large park with many walking patch and a mock up of a old frontier settlement. They hold a frontiers day outing there twice a year.

I was there for the NatureFest.  It was a great time as they offered a free guided boat ride on Spring Creek.  This is one of my all-time favorite parks.

This park also hosted a geoteaming event recently, and from what I hear it's likely to host more for the Houston area since the park worked out so well.  I thought the meeting area was just about perfect for an event that size, and of course the long trails were condusive to searching without much bushwacking (better for the environment).  This is also one of my favorite parks, I believe there are actually more than six caches in this park if you include puzzles, plus the WeB Hikin one across the bayou.  O0 O0

#17 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

I certainly wouldn't want to run into an alligator that big.  I didn't realize they got that big.  That would be scary. 

The other cache that is in Kitty Hollow is MunkieBread's puzzle cache.  It's GCTWRN.  Hopefully, she won't be upset that I gave away the location, but you'd still have to figure out the puzzle to figure out exactly where it is. 

So, that explains how you knew there was a cache in Kitty Hollow! I'll start working on the puzzle as soon as I've got some of SP and DC's puzzles figured out first.

I had no idea there were any alligators that size, especially not this close to home. There are a couple of big ones at Brazos Bend that I saw everytime I've been there. Kitty Hollow sits right on the edge of a pretty good size swamp, which is why I decided to use a micro right on the edge of the woods instead of a larger cache further away from it. Who knows what all is lurking around that area?

There is room for three or four other caches in that park. I noticed the other day that they have an old house there that was originally located on Highway 6, but was recently moved for development. I have no idea what its historical significance is.

#18 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

I noticed the other day that they have an old house there that was originally located on Highway 6, but was recently moved for development. I have no idea what its historical significance is.

I've been wondering about that house.  It's been sitting there for a little while and nothing seems to have been done to it. 
Posted Image

#19 TennesseeFlyBoy

TennesseeFlyBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

I've been wondering about that house.  It's been sitting there for a little while and nothing seems to have been done to it. 

That particular house used to be on Highway 6 about a mile south of Murphy Road. Somebody was living in it up until a year or so ago. There was some kind of a big gathering there last summer, then not long after that I saw that they were dismantling and moving it. I didn't know where it was moved too until last week when I was Kitty Hollow Park. My guess is it was donated to some historical society and will eventually be restored. From the look of it, it dates back at least into the late 1800s, maybe before that.

#20 MunkieBread

MunkieBread

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

Maybe someone will find it. It's not too hard if you use the *new* hint. And it's a regular sized cache, not a micro.  O0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users