Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Bigjake14

Bigjake14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

I got it for christmas. No complaints yet. Battery life has been great.
Posted Image

#3 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

With or without camera? If with, then hows the picture quality?
Posted Image

#4 Bigjake14

Bigjake14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPearland, TX

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

With or without camera? If with, then hows the picture quality?

I got it with camera, 650t. I have only taken a couple pictures with it. For standard shots, it does fine. Reminds me a lot of my iphone camera. I haven't tried zooming in yet. But I imagine that won't be its strong suit.
Posted Image

#5 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I got it for christmas. No complaints yet. Battery life has been great.

I took a look at one in the store, and it has two battery modes. The rechargeable that was shipped with it, and 3 AA's. So when you commented was it with the rechargeable that came with it?

Have you tried it w/ AA's (specifically rechargeable AA's) and if so what kind of battery life (for both modes) have you observed?

How is the screen visibility when out in bright light?

I like the much larger touch screen than the Oregon 400T that I've been using, and the touch screen seems much more responsive to me.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

I don't need another garmin, I don't need another garmin............ :-\
  • ATMA likes this

#7 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Oh sure you do!

But after looking at the page it seems like it might be our destiny!

This picture sure makes it seem like a good fit:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#8 rathergohiking

rathergohiking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Has anyone have an opinion on the Garmin Montana? I was thinking about getting one. I've already had a Garmin 62ST. How does it match up against that? Thanks.

Not all who wander are lost......JRR Tolkien

#9 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

I know they are water tight! 2Ton's lost his and ZMalloc found it a day later in the water. Long interesting story, but back on topic, the Montana fired up just fine.

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Okay, after a number of months have passed, let's talk about the Montana. I saw that Davarle had one when we were kayaking the other day. How does it stack up as a Nuvi-type unit on the dash? I am not particularly impressed with my Nuvi 2450T. Regardless of which settings I've tried, it does not appear to be much of a smart device. LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Okay, after a number of months have passed, let's talk about the Montana. I saw that Davarle had one when we were kayaking the other day. How does it stack up as a Nuvi-type unit on the dash? I am not particularly impressed with my Nuvi 2450T. Regardless of which settings I've tried, it does not appear to be much of a smart device. LOL

The trade off from Nuvi to Montana: You give up lane assist, and eco-route functions, with the Auto Suction Cup Mount with Speaker you still get Turn by Turn directions. I find it a bit bulky on the trail compared to my Oregon, I do like that the Montana can be set to automaticly switch from on road turn by turn to geocaching direct route mode and back just by removing or inserting it into the Auto Mount. My biggest complaint about the Montana is that it does not have the clip-mount on adapter that the other newer Garmins share.

Just to add to the confusion here is Garmins newest offering the Monterra: http://garmin.blogs....ml#.UfqAA3Mo74Z

#12 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

The trade off from Nuvi to Montana: You give up lane assist, and eco-route functions, with the Auto Suction Cup Mount with Speaker you still get Turn by Turn directions. I find it a bit bulky on the trail compared to my Oregon, I do like that the Montana can be set to automaticly switch from on road turn by turn to geocaching direct route mode and back just by removing or inserting it into the Auto Mount. My biggest complaint about the Montana is that it does not have the clip-mount on adapter that the other newer Garmins share.

Just to add to the confusion here is Garmins newest offering the Monterra: http://garmin.blogs....ml#.UfqAA3Mo74Z

I can't believe they spec'd this thing out with such a low resolution display (272 x 480 pixels)... They must have a stock pile of garminfone LCDs that never sold and they're trying to get their money back... I like my 62s but it's cheaply made and buggy. Seems like Garmin started down this road when they started failing to compete with free mapping and smartphones.

Long live the 60cx!

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#13 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Amen, brudda, old school rules

#14 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I had a Delorme pn40 before getting a Garmin 62s. I now want my Delorme back. The 62s appears to never know which way north is and will spin me around in 30' circles around every cache. I've taken waypoints for caches that were 40' off. I want my Delorme PN40 back.

My older nuvi just bit the dust. I buy a new expensive one but it appears to actually have fewer features. They removed things from the software. On the bright side the screen is awesome and it is much faster. I've only had it a few days so the jury is out. I don't have model numbers for those memorized since they are more confusing than Mercedes or even Intel model numbers.
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#15 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

I have a Nuvi and a Montana.  I love the Nuvi.  It took me a while to figure out how to get all of the cache data in there, but now I am able to load all of the cache data, including descriptions, logs, hints, etc.  Caches show up on the map as I am driving, and will even ping when you are getting close to a cache if you set it up that way.  You can use the voice command to take you to a cache, which is a nice feature.  The lady inside of the unit tells me the turn by turn directions too.  You do have to be careful when caching with your relatives (GCRPAW for example) because the pronunciation can be a bit embarrassing.

I've just had the Montana for a short time.  It is a little bulky, but it seems to do the job well.  I like the touch screen, but it is not as driver-friendly as the Nuvi.  Perhaps I am not used to it yet. 

With the colored touch screen and voice activated use, I think the Nuvi is the best for the car. 

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

Which Nuvi model are you using? I need a new one.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

I've found the 62s to be as physically robust as the old 60 and having the cache information in the GPS made it worth the upgrade.  But...it is not as accurate as the 60 or as my iPhone 5 in taking coordinates.  The last cache I moved, was posted with iPhone coords.  On our recent vacation, I did all my caching with the iPhone, because is it fits in my pocket when walking around town and I carry it all the time, so why grab a second, bulky, piece of electronics for urban caching in good weather,   And a battery pack is much less bulky If long long run times are needed.  

I fear that Garmin may stop development in sport GPS' because of falling sales volumes rather than find a way to bring WIFI so we can load caches without plugging in to a computer. It would be very nice to be able to tap into Dropbox to load caches and custom maps rather than use clunky programs and cables.  The worse fear though is that Garmin might leave the business altogether, which would be as shame because I really want to have a rugged GPS in my bag for long days in the field or on water.  

#18 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Well I take that back about not developing a new GPS.  Garmin has a wifi enabled Android GPS that promises many features I want.  The Monterra for $650 list.  That price is not within my allowance right now, but at least Garmin is trying to keep up.  

#19 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Which Nuvi model are you using? I need a new one.

I have 2360

David has 2797

#20 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Well I take that back about not developing a new GPS.  Garmin has a wifi enabled Android GPS that promises many features I want.  The Monterra for $650 list.  That price is not within my allowance right now, but at least Garmin is trying to keep up.

See my comments above. The screen resolution alone makes the monterra"ble"? a poor if not unusable android device.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users