21 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

I heard that there was recently a prescribed burn to a portion of Huntsville State Park.
People with allergies or asthma should take precautions if attending the Texas Challenge next Saturday.
Posted Image

#2 Kajun_Kacher

Kajun_Kacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLake Charles, LA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

do we know if there is a "burn ban" in effect?

mike

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

do we know if there is a "burn ban" in effect?

mike

As of now for Walker County, yes: Texas County Burn Ban Map

Funny, they have a burn ban in effect, so they do a controlled burn...  :crazy2:
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 Kajun_Kacher

Kajun_Kacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

so i wonder if we have a firebox, can we still burn wood,  or can we only use our grills and coleman's?

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

From the HSP website:

Fires, Firewood, Smoking and Fireworks. Portable gas-fueled camp stoves may be used in designated campsites or picnic areas; however, it is an offense for any person to:

1. light, build, or maintain a fire within a state park except in a facility or device provided, maintained, or designated for such purposes or to smoke or build fires when an extreme fire hazard has been posted by the department or a burn ban has been instituted by local government ordinance

So it sounds like... no.

Maybe we'll get some rain and the burn ban will be lifted.  O0

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

When Syd and I went camping to do the OCL, there was a burn ban in effect for the county.  We asked at the ranger station when we checked in and they said campfires were fine.  I mentioned the ban and she said nope, it's ok.

Not sure if they're in a 'different world' or they're not subject to the county rules or what... but it may be ok in the end.  Many people had fires in their pits that evening.  Rangers drove by a few times and just waived.
Posted Image

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

I sure hope that is the case.  Camping without a fire is just ... sitting around in the woods!

The prescribed burn in the park really threw a wrench into our hide plans.  Poor Lynne and Rob got to spend another full day in the park coming up with a plan B for that area.  You think they could've waited another 10 days before torching the place... :crazy2:

#8 Sticks

Sticks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

I sent an email to the Walker County EOC, asking them if they are considering lifting the burn ban. It's all based on the KBDI though. Currently their KBDI is at 503. All we need to do is go down by 3 points. Hopefully we get a little more rain in the next few days. It takes several days to lower a KBDI level.

To learn a little more on the subject, there is a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia....m_Drought_Index

TAMU updates the levels daily:
http://webgis.tamu.e...kbdisummary.txt

#9 Sticks

Sticks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Oh, and chances are the park knew nothing about the prescribed burn until a day or two before the burn.

Texas Forestry service runs them. They give a day or two notice to all responding agencies and authorities. They take the opportunity when the conditions are right. Dry enough to readily burn, but wet enough that they can control the burn. It's a delicate event.

#10 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

We were in the park today.  There are still some areas smoldering, and some small fires are still burning.  It was pretty smoky at times.

#11 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Sunny.  I had been talking to the Park Superintendent the week of the burn because of some finalized details about the event.  Not once did he mention the burn.

Think about it, when this venue was considered, the Park Superintendent told me that *Spring Break* was there *sold out week*.  I was wise to get the lodge when I did because it is the busiest time of the year, that is when the park is full.  With or without us, do you think he would have allowed the burn?

I got the park about two months after we won the challenge, that soon!! 

Everyone, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, lets keep walking towards it.

Oh, and chances are the park knew nothing about the prescribed burn until a day or two before the burn.

Texas Forestry service runs them. They give a day or two notice to all responding agencies and authorities. They take the opportunity when the conditions are right. Dry enough to readily burn, but wet enough that they can control the burn. It's a delicate event.

#12 Sticks

Sticks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I don't know a lot about how the state parks work with Texas Forestry Service. So I'm not sure if a superintendent has the authority to stop a burn. Since much of the planning is based upon the KBDI, the window to burn is limited. It all depends on the rain.

#13 Kajun_Kacher

Kajun_Kacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hello everyone,

So after the Hunt Team Mtg at McClendon Park today, I called HSP about having a campfire with wood in the fire pit. The woman I spoke to said that using the fire pit with wood is allowed. She said they had several calls from other campers, and that they are allowing campfires!!!!!

SOOOO  BRING YO WOOD!!!!!!

Mike

#14 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hello everyone,

So after the Hunt Team Mtg at McClendon Park today, I called HSP about having a campfire with wood in the fire pit. The woman I spoke to said that using the fire pit with wood is allowed. She said they had several calls from other campers, and that they are allowing campfires!!!!!

SOOOO  BRING YO WOOD!!!!!!

Mike

Thanks for calling.  I know that this is useful information for those that are camping.
Posted Image

#15 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

We camped at Pedernales Falls State Park this past week. That county is under burn ban, too.  Park staff said it was okay to have a "small cooking fire at the campsite" and to put a s'more over the fire and we would be fine.  Just don't maintain a bonfire with flames shooting 6 feet high over the grill!  We were glad to have a campfire as it was 27 degrees on Sunday morning.

#16 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Additional wash stations have been ordered, with maintenance of the wash stations planned at about 2:45, making sure the water tanks stay full and people can continue to wash any soot accumulated on their face, hands etc.

#17 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Where are these wash stations going to be? 
Posted Image

#18 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

I hope that I am not speaking out of turn but I think that we will be determining wash station locations on Thursday.  We should have waypoints available on Sat morning along with everything else.

#19 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

The wash stations will be at the Raven Lodge.    As people return from the challenge, they will be able to *wash up* right before they eat dinner.  There will be 4 wash stations, with *scheduled maintenance* at 2:45, so they keep the water full and soap available and paper towels handy during the most important time that we need for the wash stations. 

First Aid Stations will be supplied with wipes, towels and water.  Enough water that if one wanted to poor water over their head to rinse off, they can. 

#20 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

The wash stations will be at the Raven Lodge.    As people return from the challenge, they will be able to *wash up* right before they eat dinner.  There will be 4 wash stations, with *scheduled maintenance* at 2:45, so they keep the water full and soap available and paper towels handy during the most important time that we need for the wash stations. 

First Aid Stations will be supplied with wipes, towels and water.  Enough water that if one wanted to poor water over their head to rinse off, they can. 

What she said..... :crazy2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users