Photo

Flying Saucer @ Night, Downtown Parking - Safety for my fellow cachers.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

I parked on the parking lot North of the Flying Saucer for the Jellyfish event last night.  The same parking lot I always park at.  The meters were covered, so I guessed the parking lot was free.  Upon leaving the Flying Saucer after the event, Houston Control and Rich joined me so I could make it to my car safely.  I appreciated that!!  O0 O0

I found on my car a note stating, hand-written on a 3.5 index card that I owed $10.00 for parking and I was required to pay.  The attendant approached, was ready for the *fee* and  I told the attendant that I would not pay, he said he would have me towed, I was gonna pay a $75.00 fee.  I said, *Go ahead*  We went through rounds of anger, threats etc, I still did not pay and had HC and Rich backing me up not to pay.  HC took a picture of him, which enraged him further.

Today, HC forwarded me a picture of the guy, plus the number of the company that is responsible for safety of the lots.  I explained the situation to the officer.  She stated, and I repeat.  Never pay these people, tell them you will call a HPD officer to settle the matter.  She said there are many con-artists who do this for a living.  Homeless people really take advantage to make money.

The number to the patrol who supervises the lots is 713-870-2240 or 911.  She said call immediately and they will *take care of the 3" x 5" index card* ticket.

Just a warning to everyone in the future.  If in doubt call 911.  She stated an officer will take care of the matter immediately.  :police:

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

The "attendant" had an illegible "ID badge" that was conveniently covered by his jacket.  Pretty sure he was a con artist!

Attached Files

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

I think I could fight this *ticket* and win!

Attached Files

#4 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

I'd think that calling 911 rather extreme.  It isn't a life threatening situation, unless you are planning on killing the 'attendant'.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#5 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'd think that calling 911 rather extreme.  It isn't a life threatening situation, unless you are planning on killing the 'attendant'.

...or the "attendant" plans on assaulting/killing you... whose to say the guy was by himself. Downtown at night... people just pop out of nowhere.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#6 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

I agree with TFP.  I should have called the police and just stated to the man *Hey, I want to be fair, if a police officer states that I need to pay you, I will, so lets give him a call*  Karen was outside with Aiden, this guy was scary and a crook, I think the police should be involved, just for the safety of fellow cachers.

...or the "attendant" plans on assaulting/killing you... whose to say the guy was by himself. Downtown at night... people just pop out of nowhere.

#7 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Sounds like a good thing you had HC and Rich there to support you, could have gone differently without those two gentlemen for back-up.

My daughter works downtown and sometimes works late, I'll pass this along to her and remind her to keep the Mace in hand.

#8 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

We have lots of friends who are in law enforcement. They have described 911 dispatchers as like the triage nurse at the hospital. No, you don't go to emergency for a hangnail, but unusual symptoms, late at night, might need to be looked at, and they keep records which may avert public health emergencies (food poisoning, flu epidemic, etc).

911 dispatchers are very good at what they do and know how to decide quickly if a situation is an emergency or can be handled in other ways. It is what they are trained to do and most of us are not. They also keep statistics which help decide how patrols are allocated, whether a new gang may be operating somewhere, and if the local homeless population is overstepping the often causal bounds placed upon them (whole other topic).

I'm glad everthing worked out alright and fellow cachers helped keep you safe. Great bunch we have around here!

#9 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

Elisa (and any others), this should be a reminder for you to not cache alone.  This type of encounter could happen anywhere...not just downtown. 
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users