Photo

Warning - Do not park here if you're entering GBP from the West.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

It's usually a losing battle to argue with anyone like that.    :tickedoff: 

It wasn't just that she felt her driveway was blocked, it was also that "this is where her kids play" and parking there is in the way of her son playing basketball and also his ball might hit a car, and she is "NOT paying for damages" if that happens.
She said she called the constable the night before and had someone towed who parked there, she says it gets just too much traffic from people accessing the walking trail, and it is NOT the only public access point, and that only residents of the neighborhood are allowed to park there.  Allegedly...

Posted Image

#22 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

It wasn't just that she felt her driveway was blocked, it was also that "this is where her kids play" and parking there is in the way of her son playing basketball and also his ball might hit a car, and she is "NOT paying for damages" if that happens.
She said she called the constable the night before and had someone towed who parked there, she says it gets just too much traffic from people accessing the walking trail, and it is NOT the only public access point, and that only residents of the neighborhood are allowed to park there.  Allegedly...

A public street belongs to the public. If only residents are allowed to park there it needs to be marked before they are allowed to tow a vehicle.
Posted Image

#23 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Anyone one with large trucks or cars up for a GBP metro mashup?  I know a good place to park!  >:D

#24 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Not that I'm normally the voice of reason, but let's consider a few things.

She (the resident) is being a jerk.  Big surprise, lot's of people are.

We need/want/MUST HAVE access.

Parking there is legal and CONVENIENT.

We could be nice about it and NOT block her driveway.  Not draw unwanted attention to ourselves in a park where the law enforcement folks basically let us do pretty  much what we want.  See ... too many logs to mention.  Or we could piss off a resident and draw the attention of law enforcement types that might find other ways of dealing with her problem.

Or she could deal with it herself by ... screwing with your car.  Yeah, you have a potential civil action against her, good luck ever collecting.  She could request the neighborhood limit that access to the park, a gate, a gate with a lock, a new fence, no more gate, iron bars, who knows, basically, we all lose.

We could, basically be nice about it and park a few houses down.  Yeah, we probably just piss off other neighbors, but maybe we spread it around enough that nobody gets totally pissed.  Her son, gets to play basketball, skateboard, and break his and her stuff and not our cars.  We don't draw unwanted attention of johnny law.  She likely chills.  Now, if she goes after folks for parking down the street and still using the entrance, fine, gloves come off.  But until that happens, this is likely NOT a fight anybody really wants.  And besides, aren't we really just trying to have fun and NOT piss muggles off.

What's that old saying, treat others as you would like to be treated.  Notice, it says nothing about what they deserve.

#25 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:43 AM

I agree with Kianlo. Why do you guys want to be mean?

#26 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

WWSD? what would snooki do?

#27 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:02 AM

The TV Snooki would drink heavily and hook up with the nearest juicehead gorilla.
Our Snooki is far far above that.

#28 bografan

bografan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Katy

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:06 AM

Why do you guys want to be mean?

*pointing finger at the SMuggle*    "She started it!"

#29 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

I don't think this is really about being mean. The HOA probably wanted that access point to the park and with that means folks parking there. I agree that no one should block someone's driveway but if you are not blocking the drive then it is fair game as a public street. I know that I live on the end of a cul-de-sac and we regularly have extra vehicles parked there. Yes it means the kids can't always play in the area to the full extent of normal but we never get ugly or mean about it. I think this person needs to learn how to be polite and "share" the public street.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

The TV Snooki would drink heavily and hook up with the nearest juicehead gorilla.
Our Snooki is far far above that.

I wouldn't say that. ;-)

#31 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

I think I will simply avoid parking down there and park at what?  The school parking lot and walk down.  Shoot, walking is what we do, right?  How far away is the school?  I couldn't tell looking at the aerial.  The sport has enough inherent dangers without multiplying it with irrational humans, but as always, YMMV.  :)

TXGA SETX Representative

#32 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

I think this person needs to learn how to be polite and "share" the public street.

This is something I tried to convey to her. I said that the only reason why she was being met with confrontation is because she approached us with a piss poor attitude and that we wouldn't even be having this conversation if she would have politely asked me to leave. However I don't think she heard a word I said because she was yelling over everything I had to say.

However I'm not interested in causing any problems. This person is one that can not be reasoned with. As well I would like to try and be a better person and not be drawn down to her level.

I simply started this thread because I didn't want my friends to have similar experiences with this person or worse.. have their vehicles damaged. I know in the past I have recommended parking here to a few cachers. There is more than adequate parking at the school with an open access gate. Ultimately I think the school is the safest place to park on the weekends or late in the evenings.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#33 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:49 AM

I think I will simply avoid parking down there and park at what?  The school parking lot and walk down.  Shoot, walking is what we do, right?  How far away is the school?  I couldn't tell looking at the aerial.  The sport has enough inherent dangers without multiplying it with irrational humans, but as always, YMMV.  :)

The school is less than a minute or two further down the road.

Bert, I modified the map to show the two trailheads for the West end of GBP.

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#34 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

You're awesome TFP.  I knew why you started the thread and appreciate the warning.  I'll take on ANY native Houston wild animal before I'll take on an irrational human.

#35 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

That's Cinco Ranch right?  I was over there yesterday marking the trees...er, uh, leaving my mark.  :angel:

I wonder if the city council person over that district could be contacted and let them know there is a problem with parking and access.

TXGA SETX Representative

#36 CriffRee

CriffRee

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationKaty Texas

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Its an issue of recognizing a behavior and taking advantage of it.

OK, so Flashmob is "mean", lets make it a CITO.

#37 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Its an issue of recognizing a behavior and taking advantage of it.

OK, so Flashmob is "mean", lets make it a CITO.

Actually this is a great idea. Just a matter of logistics... but we could collect all the garbage possible and there is lots of it around a fridge too far... then leave it at the dead-end. Do it say on a Saturday afternoon so the trash sits until Monday before the county comes and picks it up. We would be doing a good deed and service to the community. How can you argue with that?
:D

The Harris County Parks department and the HOA have already been notified via email as requested. The HOA stated that the lady has already been spoken to and that parking issue was briefly discussed at their last HOA meeting. They are supposedly looking for ways to deal with the issue.

Help me help you.

#38 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Now all of you are thinking!!!! CITO is a great idea!  And we could all get another smiley!  But we might want to check about WHERE stuff should be left.  I understand she's a b....  It's wrong for her to behave so badly.  But she is NOT rational.  I've dealt with such people in the past and if you atogonize them it could get VERY ugly.

#39 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

Yea, hive-minds at work..  :D

Unfortunately the County would instruct us where to the leave the trash. So I was only kidding about leaving it at her house...

:crazy2:

Help me help you.

#40 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Moving on to more positive things... if anyone wants to send me coordinates for "safe" parking areas around GBP that are not obvious I'll add them to the map.

Help me help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users