60 replies to this topic

#21 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

But you'll be in a yak -- so shuttling people around isn't gonna work, exactly.

Your right...I was looking at Google Earth and the parking at Big Island Slough is 3/4 of a mile from the take out point.  Plus I may be a slower yaker than the more experienced.  Probably not the best plan logistically speaking.  Better to call someone to meet folks at the take out point.

#22 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

I'll be available to shuttle 3-4 CLEAN DRY yakkers at a time in my car. My cell number is 281-782-2765. I'll have water available for the end of the trail, but I've seen what comes out of the bayou after some of these events...

Attached Files

#23 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Bittybit  :angel: has generously offered her pickup, and no muggle  :angel: has kindly offered use it to shuttle, those weary souls who pull out at the end of CLAPS III who do not wish to do more.  O0 O0  Those who rent from Pinky’s will be picked up by Pinky at that point.  He’ll bring the boat back and shuttle you back to your car.  My understanding is that he’s meeting at least some of you directly at Bay Area Park.  You may wish to confirm your rental and where you should meet.

No Muggle can shuttle those of you who have our own kayaks as well as anyone who wants to go for more.  :uglystupid2:  Those with the fortitude to continue can be brought to the start of CLAPS II (Big Island Slough) or back to Bay Area Park, as appropriate. 

As Pinky’s will charge for a shuttle for the non-renters, this is a very nice offering by both of them, which I thank in advance.  I *highly* recommend that you tip your driver to help with gas, etc.  Or, HC, maybe you can provide a prepaid company card….  ::)

Bbqbob2 has also offered to shuttle individual yakkers but doesn’t have a way to transport the yaks.  They’d likely be safe under the bridge till you got back to pick them up.  Given that many will look substantially similar to the photo he posted at that point, I don’t think he’ll have any clean and dry takers... 

Posted Image

#24 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Was talking with cachestacker at UFO today and he mentioned that I should post my plans (which is really his plan for me...) here in case anyone else would like to go this route.  My brother and I will be in a tandem kayak and plan to have Pinky drop us at the Spring Gully launch point.  We plan to do CLAPS III going downstream making the bend at the park to go up and do CLAPS II.  After that we'll head back down to BAP and grab a few more CLAPS that are close by until we hit 25.  Then we'll grab the challenge cache in the park and have Pinky pick us up there. :P

If anyone else is up for such an ambitious plan or if you just want to follow along and laugh when we abandon this plan, just let me know.
Posted Image

#25 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

That is a good, ambitious, plan... and the one that has worked the best for most people who have done the challenge in a day.  That said, if the wind is blowing like it has been, it would serve you far better to launch from BAP and go upstream with us, then be shuttled to the put-in for CLAPS II (see my post, above).  That will minimize your paddling against the wind.  You will have some duplication of paddling, but eliminate other backpaddling as well.  The reduction in effort would be worth it and put you ahead overall in the end, I think.

Which will be the better route?  We won't know till we see how the wind blows on Sunday morning.  The reality is that for most of the CLAPS II and III routes it won't be severely affected till you head back towards more open water (i.e., CLAPS #1 (original series) and out towards BAP and Clear Lake where it's wide open and the wind can make it choppy.
Posted Image

#26 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

Are we supposed to reconfirm?  Kemis and Heftydude are definitely attending.  Looks like 30% chance of rain sunday  :tickedoff:

Given the South winds of 10-20 we are likely to stick with the group and head north and catch a ride over to CLAPS II
Posted Image

#27 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

We can decide as a group if we want to go up that way as well, come back, and continue up to the planned pull-out.

But in any case, Aggie85 is making the detour to do CLAPS II as well, so you'd have company. 

Rain?  Little rain never hurt anyone.  Remember your ziplocks and you'll be fine.
Posted Image

#28 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

I am about 95% positive that I will be able to make it along with my son Lat_Attack.  :D We'll be following the group for the CITO of course.  I would love to do the challenge (Claps II) with Heftydude, Kemis, and Aggie85....but not sure if my son will be up to it. I will have to wait until we get to the end of Claps III AKA Spring Gulley.  I will get with the group going on to CLAPS II if we want to go for it. 

Thank you, Thank you, O0 Bittybit and no muggle for the shuttle services.  We will be taking advantage of your generous offering.

Thanks Kevin for putting this together!  I am getting excited about the event and getting out on the water.  :D :D O0 :D :D O0  I've been wanting to do these since they came out.  Who knows... maybe this event will inspire a new series in Baytown on the water.  :-\  :-\ :-\

#29 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

Who knows... maybe this event will inspire a new series in Baytown on the water.  :-\  :-\ :-\

Hope so!

Ok -- so far we have On The Water plans from:

Georenya and geodaughter
Houston Control
Latitude Attitude and Lat_Attack
MTCachers
kirbydox
(Rich &) Lola
aggie85
heftydude
kemis
geojrh

Possible On the Water plans from:

Bittybit
Trea

Posted Image

#30 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

Me thinks "cachestacker" is missing from that list  ;)
Posted Image

#31 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

believe im going to be able to make it out sunday for the cito plan on going towards nasa road 1 to catch the last of the caches that were placed since ive been out there anyone else going that way?

#32 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

believe im going to be able to make it out sunday for the cito plan on going towards nasa road 1 to catch the last of the caches that were placed since ive been out there anyone else going that way?

If we don't do claps 2 and the challenge, I was looking to pick up some caches in the area afterwards. I haven't found many on NASA RD so I we might join you.

#33 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

If the wind keeps up, it's gonna be a major endurance run to go that way on the open water.  Was at the park this evening at Syd's softball game and there was chop on the water at the boat launch.  But the good news is the wind is pushing the water up very high, so there were no low tide issues at all.  Thinking, though, that the benefit of going that wa is that low tide won't be nearly as low as it gets sometimes....

I presume you're talking about doing KX's Alphabet series?
Posted Image

#34 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

yea the alphabet series is all i have left to do out there then im gonna drive up to the red bluff put in and grab the claps 3 number 13 always cito cache that you put out after i did that end of the series plus do some citoing all along the way anyone else plan on going that type of route?

#35 Nebulus703

Nebulus703

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHighlands/Baytown

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

If we don't do claps 2 and the challenge, I was looking to pick up some caches in the area afterwards. I haven't found many on NASA RD so I we might join you.

How about another Baytown cacher to tag along? I haven't gotten too many on NASA RD either.

#36 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:37 AM

im not caching on nasa rd i meant i was putting in at BAP and paddling toward nasa rd thats the way im heading on the water for the cito

#37 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

If anyone plans on tackling Special Tools Required http://coord.info/GC2MP88 after the event (fun in a small group), I'll be 'on-call' (and only minutes away).  I have the one tool most people seem to not have.  ::) :P and am happy to show up with it so you can continue onward.  ;)  Some of the CITO attendees have experience with this one, too.  O0

For the CITO -- Weather looks like it will be fine tomorrow.  If anyone needs me, my cell is 281-702-8835.
Posted Image

#38 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

I called Vern at Pinkies and he told me to meet him at the park instead of his place of business to get the Kayak.  I am glad I called, he thought I was doing a Conoco Kayak run, but I corrected him and he has geodaughter and I all set up!!  O0

#39 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

You can add two more the group....Scott and I will be there   :D
Posted Image

#40 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members