#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The 9th Annual Cache In Trash Out Events are scheduled for April 30th & May 1st, 2011.

2011 Armand Bayou CITO Spring Cleaning
Sunday, May 1, 2011

Boat launching promptly at 9:00 a.m.

This CITO will focus on the north part of Armand Bayou, heading upstream (i.e., following CLAPS III), with opportunties for others along the way.

If you have not been on the water, this is a great time to try it and also do something good in the process. 

Pinky's is the rental place.  Best to reach Vernon on his cell at 713-501-0516 to make your reservation.  Or post your "I need a yak/canoe ride" here and we'll see if we can match you up with someone who needs some labor in an empty/spare seat.  ;)

See the cache page for more information or post any questions here.
Cache page link:  http://www.geocachin...8e-f26e8ab13201

Posted Image

#2 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

This looks like a winner.  OK, everyone who is going, get your tow line ready.  Oh and if I get into death roll with an alligator, and everyone takes bets on who will win...go with the alligator!!  :wwf:

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

(Thanks, no muggle, for pointing this out to me.)

The annual Trash Bash is this weekend.  There is an Armand Bayou location at Bay Area Park -- with plans for a bunch of canoes on Armand Bayou.  This sounded really familiar for some reason.  :P

I contacted them and told them about the CITO event.  They are going to give us tons some amount of T-Shirts for the CITO participants!  I should know more after their event is over and will let everyone know, but they're hoping to be able to give us enough for everyone.

Not that a T-Shirt is gonna sway anyone to come out for such a worthy cause...  ::)  But then, you never know!  :laugh:

If you have not been out paddling for any of the CLAPS caches (specifically CLAPS III), this is a great opportunity to do so.  Mark your calendars!

Posted Image

#4 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

This could be a two-fer. The clean-up for Bay Area Park is set for Sat, March 26th, with sign-in at 8:30 to 9:30, clean-up from 9 to 12, and lunch from 12 til 1. I'll be out on the 26th with a group from work. There will be people on the shore and in boats, but there should be plenty left to pick up along CLAPS III on the bayou the next weekend. Come out for both and help a park look good.

www.trashbash.org

www.trashbash.org

#5 Nebulus703

Nebulus703

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHighlands/Baytown

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

I'd like to go and help out but I won't have my own kayak.

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Confirmed:  We're going to have some giveaways at the CITO.  Trash Bash T-shirts for the first bunch of people who come (we have a big box of those), and Opencaching.com confirmed they are sending some hats, lanyards, and such.  I may have a CITO pathtag or two as well.

Don't expect anything amazing and you'll be impressed.  :D  Hey -- it's free stuff!  :laugh:  And you're getting a CITO smiley to boot, and a bunch of paddle caches if you haven't been out there yet.

It's coming up.  Hope to see you out there.

Posted Image

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

I've had a couple of requests from people looking to do the Challenge in one day.  If you're interested in combining this with the CITO event, PM or e-mail me for ideas (based upon what you've done).  A couple of folks are interested in starting at the other end to accomplish this.

I've also been asked if I'll have the challenge tags with me.  Yep, I'll have some with me should anyone qualify then.  You'll have to wait till I get back to the park, but yes, I'll have 'em with me.  O0

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

Geodaughter and I are attending this event.  I called Vernon for possibly a kayak rental or canoe.  Any other advise to pass our way would be appreciated.

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I'm trying to get a pickup to shuttle people from Spring Gulley back to Bay Area Park and/or Big Island Slough (for those with the fortitude to do more / wanting to do the Challenge in one day).  If I can get it, I have a volunteer willing to shuttle people in it. 

I may or may not have success in getting that to happen.  I'm working on it.

If anyone with a pickup is interested in volunteering without having to get on the water -- this is a great way to do so!  ::)  O0
Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

Geodaughter and I are attending this event.  I called Vernon for possibly a kayak rental or canoe.  Any other advise to pass our way would be appreciated.

O0 O0

My recommendations are 1) to read the cache pages for the information on things to bring / consider.  Bring more water /Gatorade than you think you’ll need.  Snack.  Sunscreen.  Hat.  Camera.  GPSr.  Large ziplocks.  And don’t wear anything you don’t mind getting dirty.  This includes shoes.

Also note that there is an EarthCache, Multi, and Puzzle along the way.  **May want to read those cache pages to figure out what to do for each.

Beyond that, I’ll have trash bags.  You may want gloves and/or a reaching stick or grabber.  If you are renting, Pinky will take you to the launch site and pick you up wherever.  My intent is that we’ll paddle from Bay Area Park upstream and pull out at Spring Gulley (following Armand Bayou past CLAPS III #13 to Red Bluff).  Pinky can pick you up there. 

For an extra nominal charge he’ll probably shuttle you back Big Island Slough (CLAPS II) and pick you up at Bay Area Park later (see above post).  If I can get a pickup volunteer to shuttle people and their yaks then he can pick everyone up at Bay Area Park, which would be better. 

I do recommend you get your reservations in as soon as you know you’re going if you know you’ll be renting.  His contact info is in the first post, above.  Also, Pinky is a little ways away from the launch site.  We plan on launching at 9am.  He’ll need time to get you set up, get your paperwork squared away, etc. so you’ll want to arrive at his place early so he has time to do all of that and get you and your boat to the launch site between 8:30 and 9:00.

If anyone has any questions, post ‘em.  Others probably have the same questions.

If you know you’re coming, post it here so we know who we’re waiting on.  We want to try to leave with everyone! 
Posted Image

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Still planning on coming.  I'll be using a kayak I'm borrowing from my Brother-in-law.  Not sure if Pinky shuttles folks who bring their own kayaks? ???
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'm sure he will.  I can't remember what he charged to do it, but it was nominal when we put out the original series.

Of course, for cost efficiency, you can always paddle back.  :laugh:
Posted Image

#13 geohiker

geohiker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

I plan to be there.  Have a yak reserved with Pinky's. 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

I did call Pinky and he was overwhelmed with people using the Kayaks today, so he told me to check his website and drop him a note, which I did.  I will call him again just to make sure.

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

I'm sure he's been busy lately with all the nice days.  Don't wait to reserve your yak or canoe -- or he might not have one for you.
Posted Image

#16 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Still planning on coming.  I'll be using a kayak I'm borrowing from my Brother-in-law.  Not sure if Pinky shuttles folks who bring their own kayaks? ???

Larry,  I'll have my dad's pickup truck and can chuck your yak in with the two I'm carrying.  Course well have to drop one vehicle off (The truck) at the Spring Gully Parking lot.  I may be able to fit another one also if someone else needs a lift.  PM me if this will work.  We'll probably need to get there a little early.

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

FYI -- there is no Spring Gulley parking lot.  There is a median at Red Bluff.  I don't know how the  :police: are about ticketing or towing, so can't recommend leaving a car or truck there.

You could park one at Big Island Slough (start of CLAPS II) as there is a parking lot there.  It's not that far of a walk.... or I am sure we can get a shuttle of the non-pickup variety.

Working on a pickup truck shuttle to fix all this....

Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler?    :P
Posted Image

#18 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Geodaughter kayaked Galveston Island two weeks ago.  She stated that the person she was paired up with cried the whole time and she had to kayak *him* everywhere!!  :2funny:

My kayak expert is officially my daughter...so I have to be brave or she will feed me to Ally the Alligator!!  :buck2:

#19 Latitude Attitude

Latitude Attitude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaytown, TX

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

FYI -- there is no Spring Gulley parking lot.  There is a median at Red Bluff.  I don't know how the  :police: are about ticketing or towing, so can't recommend leaving a car or truck there.

You could park one at Big Island Slough (start of CLAPS II) as there is a parking lot there.  It's not that far of a walk.... or I am sure we can get a shuttle of the non-pickup variety.

Working on a pickup truck shuttle to fix all this....

Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler?    :P

I can haul yaks in the pickup.  I don't mind.  Not sure how many yaks it will hold at once, but I can make several trips.

#20 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

But you'll be in a yak -- so shuttling people around isn't gonna work, exactly. 
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users