Photo

Doing a Little to Help the World and Your Fellow Man (person?)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have a Tesla m2070 sitting on my bench at home. I'm curious to see what it can do for this. It doesn't do so well at bitcoin hashing.

• KeyResults likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#22 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Well, my cards are all NVIDIA, but nothing like that danged thing.  Wow.

TXGA SETX Representative

#23 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

New link for Team comparison.

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#24 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Interesting.  I'll be off work the next four days and I will be curious what stats I generate.

TXGA SETX Representative

#25 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

The stats are confusing to me but here they are for our Team

I don't know if this is what's confusing you but here is my explanation of the stats.

Points try to normalize/equalize how much in crunching(actual results) is achieved independent of computer speed. It helps faster computers look better than simply looking at crunching time. For example, take a supercomputer and a slow PC.

The supercomputer might produce more results in one hour than the slow PC in five years. Points try to give the supercomputer credit for all its effort by giving the same number of points to the supercomputer for its one hour as given to the PC for it five years.  It's done by using the CPU speed to do the equalizing.  I said "try" above because their are variables that make this calculation imprecise. 

Results Returned is straightforward. It's the number of work units (packets) returned and validated.  A packet for one project may take much longer than one for another, so it isn't a particularly good measure number crunching contribution. 

Run Time is messy. It's pretty much the number of hours your processors have devoted strictly to crunching.  If you have a quad processor it is theoretically possible to have almost 4 days Run Time in a single day.  But if you are allowing support from your graphics card, I don't think they can measure that so I think they use elapsed time. I've said what I think, but I'm somewhat uncertain of my understand of Run Time. 

For me, I'm doing what I can without costing me in other ways so I don't pay much attention to stats.  Because of your post, I did look at them and it looks like you out produce me by a lot.  If I saw it right you'll do as much in a couple of months as I've done in four years.  What the hell are you running?

I guess I should have asked, what is a Tesla and is that causing this huge surge of crunching?  If so, and it's a graphics card, I must be wrong about them only counting graphics cards as elapsed time.

Edited by Thot, 25 April 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#26 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

The stats are confusing to me but here they are for our Team

I don't know if this is what's confusing you but here is my explanation of the stats.

Points try to normalize/equalize how much in crunching(actual results) is achieved independent of computer speed. It helps faster computers look better than simply looking at crunching time. For example, take a supercomputer and a slow PC.

The supercomputer might produce more results in one hour than the slow PC in five years. Points try to give the supercomputer credit for all its effort by giving the same number of points to the supercomputer for its one hour as given to the PC for it five years. It's done by using the CPU speed to do the equalizing. I said "try" above because their are variables that make this calculation imprecise.

Results Returned is straightforward. It's the number of work units (packets) returned and validated. A packet for one project may take much longer than one for another, so it isn't a particularly good measure number crunching contribution.

Run Time is messy. It's pretty much the number of hours your processors have devoted strictly to crunching. If you have a quad processor it is theoretically possible to have almost 4 days Run Time in a single day. But if you are allowing support from your graphics card, I don't think they can measure that so I think they use elapsed time. I've said what I think, but I'm somewhat uncertain of my understand of Run Time.

For me, I'm doing what I can without costing me in other ways so I don't pay much attention to stats. Because of your post, I did look at them and it looks like you out produce me by a lot. If I saw it right you'll do as much in a couple of months as I've done in four years. What the hell are you running?

I guess I should have asked, what is a Tesla and is that causing this huge surge of crunching? If so, and it's a graphics card, I must be wrong about them only counting graphics cards as elapsed time.

Graphics card are much better number crunchers than pc cpu's
  • Thot likes this
Posted Image

#27 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

After doing a little bit of reading I've learned that most of the projects on WCG don't use or support GPU processing. So most of the projects on WCG will only be using your CPU.
There are other projects that are geared towards GPU processing like SETI.

The BOINC client supports multiple projects. For example the machine where I'm using the Tesla GPU card I configured the BOINC client to serve the CPU work units from WCG and GPU work units from SETI.

WCG only has one project at the moment that supports GPU processing which is not currently running.

I re-purposed some old xeon workstations at the office and built a "mini-cluster" under my desk. :)
  • Baytown Bert likes this

Help me help you.

#28 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

I could learn a LOT from you TFP.

TXGA SETX Representative

#29 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

I read most of what TFP wrote, but then my mind wandered to baseball...

• Kirbydox and Baytown Bert like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#30 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

I re-purposed some old xeon workstations at the office and built a "mini-cluster" under my desk. :)

I have a mini cluster under my desk.  And another one on my shelves.  And a separate mini cluster in my garage.  Well, actually the garage is an entire cluster.  Wait.  I think you're talking about something else. Nevermind.

• Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#31 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Just registered on two computers.

• Baytown Bert and KeyResults like this
Posted Image

#32 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

I reckon by the end of this month I'll catch up to Thot in total credits  ;)

tm6-26491-1-1-50x.png

Member stats

Help me help you.

#33 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

I saw an app recently that does the same with idle phone cycles.... dang if I can't remember the name of it now.

Posted Image

#34 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

Jason, I miss your old footer... ;)
  • cachestacker likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#35 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Been meaning to do this and kept forgetting. I've finally downloaded the software and signed up. :)

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#36 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:10 AM

That makes 8 in our group and welcome, Jenn!

• Jhawk! likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#37 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I still refuse to do it.  I think it's a giant corporate/government conspiracy of the military industrial complex to introduce GMO's into our food supply!

I'm just not sure how yet...

• Baytown Bert, amberita13 and Jhawk! like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#38 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Actually the NSA uses the grid to crack encryption. HC, get your conspiracies straight man...

Help me help you.

#39 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Gosh, yes.  Welcome ggmorton, 2katz, and Jhawk.  :cheers:  It took two failures for me not to realize you three had signed up.  I''m subscribed to this thread but am not getting notices and the WCG is supposed to notify me if new members sign up.  Both failed (I know, excuses, excuses).  Forgive me for not recognizing your contribution, and thank you Bert for doing it in my absence.

Edited by Thot, 15 May 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#40 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

was happy to sign up and do my part!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic