Photo

Doing a Little to Help the World and Your Fellow Man (person?)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

I’m inviting you to join the  Houston GeoCaching Society team on the World Community Grid.

The World Community Grid is a platform for distributed computing.  If you aren’t familiar with distributed computing, it’s a system that makes use of the idle time of home computers everywhere.  Some projects require more computing power than the most powerful computers can provide.  Such projects are made possible by using a collection of computers world wide.

World Community Grid supports projects attempting to solve problems in biology, medicine and the environment.  To be accepted for the World Community Grid, a project must make any discoveries and data public domain – that is, available to all researchers.

Follow This Link to register.  It will make you a member of both the World Community Grid and the Houston GeoCaching Society team. 

After joining you will need to need to download and install the World Community Grid software Here. This is the software that enables the distributed processing. 

If by chance you already participate in the World Community Grid, use This Link.  Then click on the join now button when the page appears.

Here are their currently ongoing projects:
Computing for Clean Water
The Clean Energy Project
Discovering Dengue Drugs
A Cure for Muscular Dystrophy
Helping Fight Childhood Cancer
Human Proteome Folding
Fighting AIDS

There are several dormant or completed projects.  Originally I joined to support Influenza Antiviral Drug Search  But, after joining I discovered Phase I of this study was complete and Phase II hasn’t started yet. 

You can see a list of all the research projects by going to the main page Here.  Hover over the Research tab and click on any of them to learn more.  The active projects are the links above.  Each person chooses which projects they want to support.  To add or change the projects you are supporting/running hover over the My Grid tab and click on My Projects. 

The team is in a friendly competition with other teams for the amount of computing time contributed.

Make a New Years resolution to help others and the world, then check it off your list today as one resolution kept.

#2 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

I should add:

It doesn't interfere with your use of your computer.  It takes backseat to anything your're doing.  If you leave your computer on all the time your support hours will accumulate more quickly, but there's no need to do that unless you want to.  Just operate your computer in your normal way.  It will find idle time and use that.

Attached Files

#3 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm going to try again to drum up support for this noble effort.  It costs you nothing and supports research.  You can learn about the World Community Grid Here.  Several of the projects in my initial post have completed and new ones added.  Click Here to see the six current research projects. 

There was no response to my initial post three years ago.  Since it's valuable work and costs nothing the lack of response surprised me.  So, now I'm asking why the lack of interest in something that does good and costs nothing?  I'm not trying to intimidate anyone into joining -- I'm honestly curious.  If you don't want to explain your reasons here, you can send me a message Here.  If you omit your name and email address the message will still be sent and it will be completely anonymous. 

P.S.  If it's because I'm listed as Captain of the team, that's easily fixed.  I'll be happy to instantly turn this grand exalted title over whomever you elect. 

Edited by Thot, 14 April 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

I'll sign up when I come in from work.  Participation is dependant on d/l'ing a program to your PC  or Mac.

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'll sign up when I come in from work.  Participation is dependant on d/l'ing a program to your PC  or Mac.

smileys-applause-459840.gif

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

Alright.  I'm in.  Thanks for the heads-up, Thot.

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

With all the security breaches nowadays (Heartbleed), I'm a little wary about letting unknowns through my firewall, no matter how noble their intentions.  That's my main concern.

• Mustard Devil, ATMA, cachestacker and 1 other like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,325 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

Back in 2000 I contributed about 100 machines to SETI.
I was managing 5 classrooms and I had a script that would automatically run the program in the evening time and terminate before classes started in the morning.

I wish those stats were still around. I was pretty high on the list.
  • TravelingGeek and Baytown Bert like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#9 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Many thanks to the person who sent me their concerns and reservations about signing up for this distributed processing.  I'll try to address the concerns individually.

o  My internet connection is pretty slow.

The way it works the World Community Grid projects sends a work unit (I call them packets) to the computing software on your computer (they call the software on your computer The Agent).  The software works on the packet during your computer's idle time until the processing of the packet is complete.  During this number crunching time it is not using the internet or your connection to it.  The software only connects to the internet when it finishes a packet to upload the results and download a new packet. On a slow broadband connection this should take at most 2-3 minutes or 10-15 minutes with a dialup modem.  Again, these uploads and downloads only happen when your computer is idle -- that is, you aren't using it. [NOTE: Your initial download will take longer because it will include the software and then your first packets/work units]

o  How do I know that the connection to my computer will not be hacked?

The World Community Grid's depends on the integrity of this system and they guarantee their software and the packets it processes  do not invade any other aspect of your computer.  They have many very computer savvy users, if anything untoward were happening the word would get out instantly and destroy the entire operation by destroying trust in it.  For this reason the software is developed by IBM and they do extensive testing to assure the integrity of the software.  No such thing has happened in the ten years they've existed.

Here is one of their statements on the issue of security:

"We take security very seriously at World Community Grid and we have a comprehensive system of technology and policies to protect you, your computer, and the data running on it. The measures that we use include, but are not limited to, virus scanning all of our build environments, digitally signing information sent to the World Community Grid Agent, encryption both of locally stored files and files sent to the World Community Grid Agent, and biometric access control to the World Community Grid servers.  Since we launched in November, 2004 we have not had one security incident.   Your communication with our servers is secure.  You can read more about our security here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/viewMemberPolicy.do "

o  How do I know that when they are using my idle time that their computer will shed  my resources for me to use?

There is no connection between your computer and the World Community Grid  computers except during the brief periods when completed packets are returned to them and new packets are downloaded.  Their software is specifically designed to stop work when you move your mouse or touch a key on your keyboard.  Then work will not begin again until some period of inactivity. You can set the length of this delay before it resumes work.  If you don't change it the default is three minutes.  [Note:  The software is configurable and can be set to run at some level while you're using the computer.  People who do this report they have seen no loss in performance. ]

Using another party's desktop utility I watched this activity stop&start for at least a year.  It was very responsive, when I touched a key or the mouse their processing stopped immediately.  I had it set to restart after a few seconds of activity instead of three minutes and it did as set.

o  I turn my computer off when I am not using it.

Turning your computer off and on has no adverse effect on their software processes.  They stop when you turn off and start up again at the first idle opportunity after you restart it.  There is almost always idle time when a computer is on and all processing time is valuable as it adds to the total.

o  If I do let them use it how do I stop them from using it?

You can stop their use temporarily or permanently

• In  the systray (the area usually in the bottom right with the speaker and the clock) you will see a  little icon that looks like this ny7fbd.jpg .  Double click on it and the BOINC Manager will open. On the upper left of the  BOINC Manager, under the File Menu you can Exit World Community Grid and the program will terminate -- completely stop running.  It will not start again until you start it deliberately or you restart your computer. 
  • If you want to withdraw from the World Community Grid permanently, you can uninstall the program that enables it by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > World Community Grid, then click Uninstall.  It will be gone entirely from your  computer. 

#10 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

I was managing 5 classrooms and I had a script that would automatically run the program in the evening time and terminate before classes started in the morning.

My first distributed processing experience was with SETI.  SETI is still going.  I ran it for about three years.  But, I decided helping with social and medical problems was a more valuable use of my resources. 

#11 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

With all the security breaches nowadays (Heartbleed), I'm a little wary about letting unknowns through my firewall, no matter how noble their intentions.  That's my main concern.

I'm not an expert in this area but I believe this is substantially safer than using a browser to move around the web, and as safe, if not safer, than banking online.

Edited to add:

Oh yes, the World Community Grid is not vulnerable to Heartbleed.  They don't have personal information to be concerned about exposing anyway.

Edited by Thot, 18 April 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#12 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Didn't realize this was ongoing. It is indeed a meaningful way to help researchers. I'm in for a couple machines. Thanks for posting.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#13 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Didn't realize this was ongoing. It is indeed a meaningful way to help researchers. I'm in for a couple machines. Thanks for posting.

smileys-applause-459840.gif

#14 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for joining our team smileys-applause-459840.gif

Edited by Thot, 19 April 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#15 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,325 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Looks like the Team got a little bit of a bump in stats :)

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

Looks like the Team got a little bit of a bump in stats :)

(Revised) :uglystupid2: That's most likely (not) me.  My machine runs a lot of the time, but a lot of the time I am on it.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 23 April 2014 - 06:00 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,325 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

The stats are confusing to me but here they are for our Team

Help me help you.

#18 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,325 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

You mind me asking what Processor and videocard you're using? Your points per result is twice as high. I'm thinking your graphics card is crunching the bits.

Help me help you.

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

I'm running two three gaming cards, but will have to check when I get home.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 23 April 2014 - 09:15 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Cuda cards FTW
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users