8 replies to this topic

#1 catison

catison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Location10300 cypresswood dr 77070

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

I've been interested in geocaching for a long time but have recently made the decision not to sit on the sidelines but to become active in the sport.  I was a Girl Scout growing up and did a lot of hiking and loved it so I thought geocaching combines hiking with solving puzzles.

I don't have a geocache GPS yet but I do have a street one which will get me to the general area but that is about it.  At Christmas I'm getting a Sprint Evo which has an app for geocaching.

I have a son who lives in DC and I bet that is an awesome place for geocaching.

#2 skyfire97

skyfire97

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCypress

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

Welcome to the group. 

#3 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

As awesome as DC is, the greater Houston area has 2 or 3 orders of magnitude more caches.
Look close to your home or work as a starting place.  You're bound to have several 100's within 5 miles.

I have a son who lives in DC and I bet that is an awesome place for geocaching.

Posted Image

#4 Nebulus703

Nebulus703

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHighlands/Baytown

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:16 AM

Nice that you've decided to get more active. You won't regret it! Also, don't think that you're completely helpless without a GPS. I've found over 250 caches and I don't even have a GPS! I still wish I had one at times but I kind of like that extra challenge. So while you may not have a GPS that takes you directly to where the cache is, that's okay. Just think hard and keep trying and you'll get it.

Welcome to the sport and have fun!

#5 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

DC is probably a great place for caching for those that don't have a GPS because most of what is in DC are virtual caches. 
Posted Image

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

If they ever discover truffles in Harris County, I'm taking Nebulus703 with me to get some... Him and thacatfish.  Well get rich!  :2funny:

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

i wish they would find some bert because we would be wealthy beyond our wildest dreams

#8 catison

catison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Location10300 cypresswood dr 77070

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

I've reached 73 finds so far and hoping to get to 100 before gas prices hit 4 dollars per gallon.

I need to ask some questions regarding some problems I've hit the last few days.  I've basically been doing PnG's and a lot of skirts.  I hit one skirt that just doesn't want to raise up as it seems to get caught on something.  I checked another one in same parking lot and it did the same thing.  Is it legal to loosen the skirt as long as it tightened back up?  Also, some of the skirts are really heavy and I'm not fast enough to raise it and get my hand under it to grab the catch.  What could I use to prop it up until I get the cache and then replace it.?

I'm working my way to get off the parking lot runs but so far so good.

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,921 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

The best way to handle light skirt caches is to not do them.  :2funny:

Seriously, skirtlifters have their place (like when you've had 6 DNF's in a row and really need to have a find), but there are a lot better cache hides out there.  Check out some of the ones in your area that others have "favorited" and go for those.  Get out on the trails!  Enjoy nature!  O0
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users