98 replies to this topic

#81 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

I added a Mr Muddy Buddy account and logged the Friday and Saturday events.

O0 O0 O0 O0

#82 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

I went back and looked at the number of "Attended" logs online for the previous Texas Challenges and they are as follows:

2003: 42
2004: 101
2005: 137
2006: 165
2007: 161
2008: 154
2009: 201
2010: 176

We're at 243 and counting for 2011 which makes it the most-attended Texas Challenge ever.  But if the attended logs are the criteria for Mega status, we probably have a few years to go yet.  :-\

The most important item to remember is we have created a *platform* for a potential *Mega Status* Texas Challenge.  PR will not accept Mega Status unless there is proof and I *asked* to attract more attendees and he stated *NO*.  So we are showing proof, people are still logging but in the end...we had a blast!!  Right?  Right!!  O0

#83 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

We cache as a team.  Should we each log it individually?  I know at leastKF5IEW does that also.  That puts it at 251.  Still quite a ways to go.

Yes

Done.  I tried to get her to use the name Houston Control referred to on another thread but she wouldn't go for it.  MrsKirk logged the Challenge as #262.  I suppose Mrs KF5IEW could be #263, but it's still over 200 away.  Only way the event reaches Mega is if EVERYBODY logs everybody they brought as a separate account.  Can we post that or email everybody that has posted a did attend?

#84 Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

Sky Rookie

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Langly is a hardcore cacher and was wondering since he found 20 including the 5/5 water one (which he swam to...hummmm)...that perhaps since his score cards were wet and separated and he had a very hard time punching with them wet, if most of his finds were disregarded???  That would make his average a little less than 1/2...very disappointing to him

He also found one cache without a punch, one with only 1/2 of the punch and one that was so plugged up that he could not punch.

I scored that card. I scored it best I could read it, I actually gave benefit of the doubt on each punch. A lot of them were torn holes, I tried to match the tear shape to score it. It was scored on each page, the score should be correct. Of course the 5/5 was thrown out due to the punch being lost.

img.aspx?txt=Where%20is%20it???&uid=f5e6 stat5.aspx?id=10097992

#85 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:40 PM

For funsies, I looked at the Midwest GeoBash events, that have been Mega for several years:

In 2005, it was just a regular event, logged as "Attended" 190 times.
In 2006, it was logged as "Attended" 236 times (and logged as "Found" 66 times), yet was granted Mega status.  :o
Since then, it has been a Mega event with 521, 575, 649 & 705 Attended logs, respectively.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#86 Hedge Hopper

Hedge Hopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationIrving, Texas

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

thanks for looking into Langly's score card matter.  His memory must be going like mine!!!

again thanks

#87 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:49 AM

i was wondering the same thing i never saw a log book while i was there and definetly didnt sign one

I had no idea there was a log book either.  I checked in Friday.  Saturday I walked by the table many times but never checked in at it because I had already checked in on Friday. 

#88 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

I crunched some numbers from the Challenge and got some interesting results.  Of the 59 "regular" caches (with punches inside), each was found an average of 64 times.  This includes the interactive puzzles, the moving puzzle, but NOT the one in the lake that got scratched.  Cache 55t had the most finds with 177 punches.  4 caches (31M, 40T, 63T & 79M) were not found at all!

Of the 20 evil hides, only 9 were found.

Here's a link to a map that shows the location of all the caches.  The unopened chests are caches that were not found.  Hover the cursor over a cache to show the cache ID, a hyphen, and the number of times it was found.  Evils don't have the hyphen and number because they were either found or weren't.  The red pins are the starting coords for multis.  If you select "OpenCycleMap topo" as the map type, it shows the trails in the park.

http://www.gpsvisual...201.35.191.html

If someone knows how to display this info better, be my guest!

#89 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

I crunched some numbers from the Challenge and got some interesting results.  Of the 59 "regular" caches (with punches inside), each was found an average of 64 times.  This includes the interactive puzzles, the moving puzzle, but NOT the one in the lake that got scratched.  Cache 55t had the most finds with 177 punches.  4 caches (31M, 40T, 63T & 79M) were not found at all!

Here's a link to a map that shows the location of all the caches.  The unopened chests are caches that were not found.  Hover the cursor over a cache to show the cache ID, a hyphen, and the number of times it was found.  Evils don't have the hyphen and number because they were either found or weren't.  The red pins are the starting coords for multis.  If you select "OpenCycleMap topo" as the map type, it shows the trails in the park.

What number puzzle were you Larry???

#90 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

What number puzzle were you Larry???

15P

#91 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Great job crunching the numbers, Larry!  O0 O0  It's pretty interesting.  I think (Lynne would know for sure) that 55T was one of the caches that had to be moved from the area of the prescribed burn. It's camo didn't quite match the original Tallow tree.  I do think having to move our caches from the burn area helped the hunters because it created a little more cache density in a couple of areas.

#92 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

4 caches (31M, 40T, 63T & 79M) were not found at all!

Interesting that 79M was never logged.  When I picked up the caches, both redirectors for 79M had been moved and it at least appeared that the final had been disturbed.

#93 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

I thought the caches that I placed WAAAAAY off the trail in the western part of the park might not get hit at all.  When I went to pick them up, I only found one or two chads laying around, so I thought they didn't see any action, but most of them were found 15 or 16 times.  O0

#94 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

I thought the caches that I placed WAAAAAY off the trail in the western part of the park might not get hit at all.  When I went to pick them up, I only found one or two chads laying around, so I thought they didn't see any action, but most of them were found 15 or 16 times.  O0

I was picking up the chads and putting them in the containers if I found them on the ground... and was actively looking for them on the ground when I was looking for the caches.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#95 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

Here's the stats for just the SETX team.  This is similar to what HC did a few posts back.

http://www.gpsvisual...31.149.241.html

The most-found were the 50T, 54T, 55T area with around 75 finds.
Only 9 managed to survive the Bop-It game (15P).  LOL
I posted the "Roving Riddlers" cache (47P) at the Headquarters location.  55 SETX cachers got the answers to the "riddles".

It looks like the team was all over the park.  Great going!!!

Posted Image

#96 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Here's the stats for just the SETX team.  This is similar to what HC did a few posts back.

I posted the "Roving Riddlers" cache (47P) at the Headquarters location.  55 SETX cachers got the answers to the "riddles".

We had a great team!!!

#97 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

I realize 34t was thrown out but shouldn't it have two punches from SETX?

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#98 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

I realize 34t was thrown out but shouldn't it have two punches from SETX?

It should have had zero... because it was thrown out.  Those numbers came straight from the scoring database, and apparently one credit slipped through on 34T for SETX (and I believe two for NTX).  It was tough scoring 270-something cards and trying to remember NOT to count a certain punch.  It only made about a one point difference in the final scores, so nothing really changed.

Luckily, Team Four Paw also survived the Bop-it game, or I believe I would be banned from the forum about now... :notme:

#99 stirfrie2005

stirfrie2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

I was so glad for the Bop-It game! I managed to find HC, with help from another team, with minutes to spare and it totally bumped up my score. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users