HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

I've either won or tied for minimum log

I've gotten dozens of those since the phone apps stopped requiring any words in the Comment field.  I figure they're newbies that don't know any better, so I've given up worrying about it.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#143 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

I had 29 of them in a row from the same cacher the other day , so I wrote him.  He was thankful, thankfully and vowed to get with the program.

I've either won or tied for minimum log

TXGA SETX Representative

#144 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I got one over a week ago and emailed the cacher.  no response so far.  I find it annoying and it makes me want to go check the paper log to see if the person bothered to find the cache.

#145 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

What's the minimum requirement for a web cam cache?  I would have thought a web cam.

Not for some cachers that are logging this even though the cam is down... they even say so it their logs!
http://coord.info/GCJ067

I just don't get it.

Posted Image

#146 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:21 AM

Claiming a web cam cache when the cam isn't working?  Sounds like throwing down a container when you can't find one.  Hey, didn't someone do that on the Endurance Series?  Finding a string and claiming a find... Not even writing tftc on a log... What's this game coming to?

#147 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

...Sounds like throwing down a container when you can't find one.  ... What's this game coming to?

Well, there's been someone on the NW side doing a lot of that lately, too.....  >:( JUST to get a smiley....man, is a number really THAT WORTH IT?!?!?  :tickedoff:

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#148 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

What's the minimum requirement for a web cam cache?  I would have thought a web cam.

Not for some cachers that are logging this even though the cam is down... they even say so it their logs!
http://coord.info/GCJ067

I just don't get it.

Apparently the CO (who was on GC.com website yesterday) is allowing pictures taken with alternative means since there has been problems with the webcam since October. 
There is no adventure without risk.

#149 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Apparently the CO (who was on GC.com website yesterday) is allowing pictures taken with alternative means since there has been problems with the webcam since October.

I can't find where the CO specifically said so, but I guess it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.  The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

#150 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

Well, if so, in my opinion it isn't a webcam cache anymore.  And taking a picture with a digital camera or cell phone doesn't meet the requirements.

#151 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

it isn't a webcam cache anymore.  And taking a picture with a digital camera or cell phone doesn't meet the requirements.

Apparently, nobody cares about requirements.  When I was a VERY newbie (and as I've not yet been at it 6 months I still consider myself a newbie), I was advised by an experienced cacher, find quite a few before hiding any.  She claimed she'd found about 500 before hiding her first.  I'm sure it's nothing new to the folks on this board, but I've seen a plethora of caches hidden by cachers with fewer than 10 hides.  Sometimes these cachers have more hides than finds.  It's not always the case, but often the coords are far from accurate.  One even has the posted coords on the roof of a WalMart.

#152 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

I can't find where the CO specifically said so, but I guess it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.  The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

Agreed, but since the CO has signed onto the site recently and this has been happening for 4 months, it seemed apparent the CO is allowing it.

Hate to see the webcams go but if there isn't a working camera, it isn't a webcam cache anymore as Thot said.
There is no adventure without risk.

#153 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

it isn't a webcam cache anymore.  And taking a picture with a digital camera or cell phone doesn't meet the requirements.

One even has the posted coords on the roof of a WalMart.

Hence the reason to find more before hiding, or the need for Instant Gratification....

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#154 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

Agreed, but since the CO has signed onto the site recently and this has been happening for 4 months, it seemed apparent the CO is allowing it.

Hate to see the webcams go but if there isn't a working camera, it isn't a webcam cache anymore as Thot said.

It seems that the cam has had issues a few times since 2008 and gets put back up.... but I would think a temporary disablement would be in order. 
Posted Image

#155 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

CO may be worried that if he disables it for too long it will get archived by the reviewer and then since they are no longer allowed, he won't be able to bring it back. 
Posted Image

#156 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

LOL -- http://www.geocachin...88-4444275d491e

#157 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

LOL -- http://www.geocachin...88-4444275d491e

That's funny.  You can almost feel the frustration.  Nearly equal finds to DNFs.

Posted Image

#158 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

I guess there's no minimum requirement on cache descriptions either... http://coord.info/GC2NG74  :o

#159 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

I guess there's no minimum requirement on cache descriptions either... http://coord.info/GC2NG74  :o

That's perfect!  It will match all the blank logs from newbie iPhone users!
Posted Image

#160 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

There's one thing missing.  He should have submitted this the day he got an account.  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users