194 replies to this topic

#101 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I had to the opportunity to do the E.T. Series (1021 caches) with Kirbydox and Rich&Lola in the state of Nevada.  Yes, it is a *power run*, a smiley leap to Mars, but I will share this:

We were fortunate to do night time (everynight) caching during this run, guess what I saw?  Stars, stars, the milky way, the big dipper the little dipper....satellites...why because we were in the desert, no city lights, I took in the most beautiful celestial sites I have ever seen and the memory will be deeply imbeded in my memory. 

I got to see coyotes, horned toads, listen to the *goings on* of Area 51 and last but not least *Chat with a couple of geobuddies for two full days of living in a jeep.  Would I trade that for a major power trail, for example 4CL?  Nah...of course, I want them both.  When I did the 4CL, I went with some great people and that was just as wonderful as checking out the milky way....you just can't trade one thing for another...it is great as you want it to be and as bad as you want it to be...personal choice.

Newbies, do not get discouraged at all....there is always *newbie* discouragement, probably not intentionally or someone is unaware they are doing it but do not get discouraged.  There was *anti-newbie* when I started and I have been caching for about 6 years or so.  You will meet so many people, go see so many places and evaluate and define geocaching in your own way.  My definition is *WOW*  I have made friends, gone to places I never thought I would go to, found out Nature is beautiful and in general....the hobby is a blast!  I think it has kept me sane...and yes for those of you who did not think I was...I have been certified that I am!  :P 

OK, my 2 cents..

Now what is this about HC getting his panties in a *wad*  I missed something.... :) :D

#102 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

....you just can't trade one thing for another...it is great as you want it to be and as bad as you want it to be...personal choice.

I agree.  I was trying to think of a way to say it.  While this wasn't exacly it, it's much better than what I couldn't think of that I wanted to say.  I've had great times solo on some power trails in the country, and great times on small series "in the woods".  They're different animals.  It boils down to what you want and what you make of 'em. 

Posted Image

#103 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

....you just can't trade one thing for another...it is great as you want it to be and as bad as you want it to be...personal choice.

I agree.  I was trying to think of a way to say it.  While this wasn't exacly it, it's much better than what I couldn't think of that I wanted to say.  I've had great times solo on some power trails in the country, and great times on small series "in the woods".  They're different animals.  It boils down to what you want and what you make of 'em.

Yes, wasn't that well said? But shouldn't you be camping missy?

#104 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Well, obviously, my post (it was Mr. OSC) generated some pretty well thought out discourse.

So I will say:  First, about being judgmental.  That was spot on and I apologize.  No excuse.  It was borne of (obvious) ever-increasing frustration.  There's a solution for that:  Chill.

Jason, your points are very well put and you know that we both have been very constructive on our posts and I can say with a fair amount of confidence that we foster the activity, this site, and never call people out.  That's what email is for.  But this point is just for clarification. 

Look, there's oodles of times to jump in and say things about how things have started to...change...in the activity, for better and for worse.  One thing we've both noticed is that there's two ways to handle it:  Tuck and run, or try to affect change in a positive way.....which is why we post here, why we try and put everything we can muster into putting out caches for people to enjoy.  It doesn't make us better than anyone at all, it is though, how we play the game.  ::) 

We've seen some people quit out of frustration and it hurts in a lot of ways.  They were sometimes friends, sometimes strangers, each offering something to the game. 

Ok, it was wrong to categorically lump newer people with mobile devices into some ill-conceived (by me) niche because as the better half of TeamOSC pointed out, we use mobile devices so what does that make us? (well, me...hypocrite comes to mind.)

Power trails.  You know, in a phone conversation with a friend who is a cacher we discussed EXACTLY georeynozos point (before I came home and even knew there were response to this thread.)  It's obviously about the people you're with so there wasn't meant to be a slight against anyone who does a power trail....and as I did say, some people consider it fun...but in context with the other words in that paragraph it came across as arrogant and condescending.  Again, my bad.  No excuse.

As far as the BL series, well, we wouldn't consider that a power trail, although it's certainly growing and we've been eyeing it and reading the logs and there's no doubt a LOT of time and effort have gone into it.  We just haven't figured out a time that was best to do it, not to mention the fact that it's getting bigger by the day so we'll wait until it's done. 

LPC caches:  You know, Thot and I have debated this one a lot and without going into it here (again) they do serve a purpose.  There are those that may have limitations so that doing them is a fun way to cache.  And as we all know in Houston, on a friggin' hot day they can be enough to get the fix.

So, anyway, if anything came out of this it's the fact that once you post it, you'd better be sure of what you say because unintended consequences can occur.  Nothing was meant to make it bad and really, no offense was meant to any one in particular but nevertheless it happened.

For that, I can only apologize in closing.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#105 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

I shouldn't have made that comment about starting your own club.  I'm sorry about that.

Actually, no apology necessary.  O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#106 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

I shouldn't have made that comment about starting your own club.  I'm sorry about that.

Actually, no apology necessary.  O0

OMG. I need that zipper thing again. Does this work---:X

#107 ggmorton

ggmorton

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

OMG. I need that zipper thing again. Does this work---:X

Nope this one:  :-X
Posted Image

#108 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Well, obviously, my post (it was Mr. OSC) generated some pretty well thought out discourse.

So I will say:  First, about being judgmental.  That was spot on and I apologize.  No excuse.  It was borne of (obvious) ever-increasing frustration.  There's a solution for that:  Chill.

Jason, your points are very well put and you know that we both have been very constructive on our posts and I can say with a fair amount of confidence that we foster the activity, this site, and never call people out.  That's what email is for.  But this point is just for clarification. 

Look, there's oodles of times to jump in and say things about how things have started to...change...in the activity, for better and for worse.  One thing we've both noticed is that there's two ways to handle it:  Tuck and run, or try to affect change in a positive way.....which is why we post here, why we try and put everything we can muster into putting out caches for people to enjoy.  It doesn't make us better than anyone at all, it is though, how we play the game.  ::) 

We've seen some people quit out of frustration and it hurts in a lot of ways.  They were sometimes friends, sometimes strangers, each offering something to the game. 

Ok, it was wrong to categorically lump newer people with mobile devices into some ill-conceived (by me) niche because as the better half of TeamOSC pointed out, we use mobile devices so what does that make us? (well, me...hypocrite comes to mind.)

Power trails.  You know, in a phone conversation with a friend who is a cacher we discussed EXACTLY georeynozos point (before I came home and even knew there were response to this thread.)  It's obviously about the people you're with so there wasn't meant to be a slight against anyone who does a power trail....and as I did say, some people consider it fun...but in context with the other words in that paragraph it came across as arrogant and condescending.  Again, my bad.  No excuse.

As far as the BL series, well, we wouldn't consider that a power trail, although it's certainly growing and we've been eyeing it and reading the logs and there's no doubt a LOT of time and effort have gone into it.  We just haven't figured out a time that was best to do it, not to mention the fact that it's getting bigger by the day so we'll wait until it's done. 

LPC caches:  You know, Thot and I have debated this one a lot and without going into it here (again) they do serve a purpose.  There are those that may have limitations so that doing them is a fun way to cache.  And as we all know in Houston, on a friggin' hot day they can be enough to get the fix.

So, anyway, if anything came out of this it's the fact that once you post it, you'd better be sure of what you say because unintended consequences can occur.  Nothing was meant to make it bad and really, no offense was meant to any one in particular but nevertheless it happened.

For that, I can only apologize in closing.

It is always good to say what you feel - better than just packing up and going way.  That being said, we are in the process of planning a high end D/T series in George Bush Park that may cause you pain in a different way!  >:D

#109 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

It is always good to say what you feel - better than just packing up and going way.  That being said, we are in the process of planning a high end D/T series in George Bush Park that may cause you pain in a different way!  >:D

COOL!  Bring the pain!!! O0

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

#110 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Are you bringing back the Soda Jerk Series?  That was one killer journey.  I'll bring more water and a machete, next time.

Posted Image

#111 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Can I toss in my useless 2 cents here?  (Ducking) 

I see both sides.  I understand the frustration on both ends. 
As a cache owner (52), everything takes on a new angle, but as someone who is still under 500 cache finds, I am still learning what is acceptable.  I too have been getting the mobile logs, sans info and it is a bit perplexing.  I suggest mobile loggers refrain from logging their comments/finds until they can actually post an online comment, or come back and edit.  Some of my caches are a 1 difficulty to accommodate the less nimble and spry and don't really need much of a comment, while others, I've put a lot of thought and work into to make them difficult to find.  THOSE, I want to hear about.  Some cachers are golden in their comments and I really, really appreciate reading their comments.

I have one cache which has thrown off a good deal of Vets and yet I received a mobile phone log from a newbie who wrote nothing but a find.  I have a good mind to check that log, as I really don't think they found it.  THAT is frustrating to a cache owner.  Now, if they had logged that in their innocence they stumbled upon it, then I would accept it w/o a thought.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on all of it.  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#112 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Are you bringing back the Soda Jerk Series?  That was one killer journey.  I'll bring more water and a machete, next time.

You'll be wishing for the Soda Jerk series........

#113 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

I've been getting a bunch of "Logged from my Mobile Device" logs, which means they didn't bother to write anything.  >:(

You told me once that sometimes you don't even read all the found logs on your caches.  :police:

You guys are always getting your panties in a bunch about the silliest things.

I don't think that was me.  I generally read all the logs to my caches.  I don't read all the discovery logs to my geocoins, like after I've taken my collection to a big event and get 500 discovery emails, though.

As far as my panties being in a bunch, missy, I usually wear a thong or banana hammock, so they're ALWAYS in a bunch!  :teasing:
<how's that for a nice mental image?>
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#114 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

This one just came in:

XXXXXXX found GC2CX27 BB's "Is That A Chigger Right There, Cletus?" (Traditional Cache) at 10/30/2010

Log Date: 10/30/2010
Sent from my mobile device.

I checked their profile and this was find number 30.  If they find my

GC2CKHH   BB's "Is That Bucky Up There, Cletus?" I'll be surprised and bummed if they send this log and don't edit it.  :-[

TXGA SETX Representative

#115 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

There were several cachers around town today and I had 20 finds logged on my caches (so far), including a group that went through the BNC.  I think anyone who's cached in there will agree that by in large they're not your run-of-the-mill throwdown caches.  Here are all 20 logs in their entirety (edited to remove names):

Very cool!
3rd of the day at BNC with xxxxx & xxxxx. Geocaching with a toddler & an autistic child is definately a challenge!
TFTC!
Thank you xxxxx!! You did all the work!
TFTC!
7th for the day!
A relief after the pond one!! Super easy but very cleverly disguised! Much easier on my two year old son & my autistic daughter!
TFTC!
Cleverly hidden!

All of the logs that are more than 5 words were by the same person. 

Alright, we all play the game differently and these are new cachers, so I'm not going to get all torqued up over it.  Here's a question:  How do you think a friendly email to a cacher pointing out their logging faux pas would be received?  If I were brand new and were just logging quicky "TFTC" because I thought that was the norm, I would probably appreciate someone gently letting me know that wasn't considered good form by most cache owners.  Thoughts?

#116 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

I e-mailed someone who had logged several of mine like that.  They were new, and I welcomed them to a nearby upcoming event, hgcs., etc. --- and asked if they realized it.  They didn't, and e-mailed back -- appreciatively -- and since have logged another one of mine with a 'normal' log.  They were completely clueless, which with the new technology and being new is no longer unexpected.

If approached gently, I don't think it can hurt.  If I was new, I'd want to know.  They may not even realize logs go to owners.....
Posted Image

#117 goldendogdad

goldendogdad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

Maybe just send them a message telling them you appreciated their finding your cache as the CO and asking if they have any feedback for you and asking if they might post a couple responses by editing their logs.  They might not know that this helps others find the caches in the future based on the logs and you really appreciate their going to find your caches.

Which brings up another similar question that the more experienced CO's like HC might address: I logged a Virtual at a State Park (OK.  It was Washington on the Brazos State Park).  The CO wanted three questions answered to claim credit.  My mistake, I answered two of the three clearly and might have been a little muddled in answering the third.  The CO deleted my find and indicated the answers were not satisfactory.  I emailed the final answer again and asked if I could have credit for the cache.  The CO would not answer my responses after that.  I did not relog it absent the CO's permission.  Do I have any recourse on this?  Would you go ahead and take a chance and relog it?  Am I running any type of risk of this CO complains to Groundspeak or somebody about me "cheating?"

#118 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:00 AM

Maybe just send them a message telling them you appreciated their finding your cache as the CO and asking if they have any feedback for you and asking if they might post a couple responses by editing their logs.  They might not know that this helps others find the caches in the future based on the logs and you really appreciate their going to find your caches.

Which brings up another similar question that the more experienced CO's like HC might address: I logged a Virtual at a State Park (OK.  It was Washington on the Brazos State Park).  The CO wanted three questions answered to claim credit.  My mistake, I answered two of the three clearly and might have been a little muddled in answering the third.  The CO deleted my find and indicated the answers were not satisfactory.  I emailed the final answer again and asked if I could have credit for the cache.  The CO would not answer my responses after that.  I did not relog it absent the CO's permission.  Do I have any recourse on this?  Would you go ahead and take a chance and relog it?  Am I running any type of risk of this CO complains to Groundspeak or somebody about me "cheating?"

Wow, that seems petty.  Was it the statue by the visitor's center?  I'd relog it and resend the email with the answers, if it's been a while.  If you have any pictures you took in the area, maybe post one in your log.  There are some people out there who try to log virtuals virtually (without visiting the site) so maybe the CO was just being extra vigilant.  No, you don't run the risk of anyone complaining to TPTB.  If anything, you would have a legitimate beef if he deletes your log again.

On the other issue, I sent a nice "Welcome to Geocaching" email to the new cacher with all the "Send from my mobile device" logs.  If she replies, I may tactfully broach the subject of including a little message with her logs.  We'll see...

#119 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:15 AM

Some folks are apparently just "cachers of few words":

"Really Cool"

"Wow. TFTC"

"Fun Cache.  Thanks."

Just a  handful like this, fortunately, sprinkled among some utterly fantastic logs for . . . drum roll  . . .  Necropolis of Britannia Manor III.

#120 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

The more I think about it, I'm sure the brevity comes from logging with a mobile device.  If I'm logging from the field with the iphone, I typically only write a sentence or two myself, because it's a bit of a grind without a real keyboard.  Usually though, I only post field notes with the phone, then write a "real log" when I get home to my computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users