194 replies to this topic

#81 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

Some play the 'if you see it but can't get to it you can still log it' approach (i.e., caches in trees)....

Recent log made me think of this topic:  "I didn't actually sign this one - we would have had to stand up in the kayak to get it.... but we could touch it with our paddles!"

But they posted a photo of it.  ;D  And apparently touched it with their paddles.  ;)  Guess that's more than some do.....  O0

(Oh, and you don't have to stand up for this one.)
Posted Image

#82 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

I certainly logged a DNF rather than stand up in my kayak to get a cache.  Seeing is not signing.

#83 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Dude - you signed in 'invisible ink.'    ;D ;D    ;)
Posted Image

#84 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

Some play the 'if you see it but can't get to it you can still log it' approach (i.e., caches in trees)....

Recent log made me think of this topic:  "I didn't actually sign this one - we would have had to stand up in the kayak to get it.... but we could touch it with our paddles!"

But they posted a photo of it.  ;D  And apparently touched it with their paddles.  ;)  Guess that's more than some do.....  O0

(Oh, and you don't have to stand up for this one.)

I touched Soda Tube #9 with a pole and could see it does that mean I can log the find... for me it was a no.

Now if I had taken a picture of a picture of myself next to it that would be another story.  >:D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#85 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

I happen to met that couple at Galveston Island TB Hotel last Friday.  They were coming out of the trail when I saw them.  Nice people.  Traded war stories and gave them one of signature items.  Them mentioned doing four of the CLAPS series.  They live in China and were in town on vacation and visiting family.  Her GC screen name is MUSICDEBBI and his is GRANGER GUY.  And there are geocachers in China

#86 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

I checked out her profile.  Some cool photos of caches in China.
Posted Image

#87 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

Dude - you signed in 'invisible ink.'    ;D ;D    ;)

:police:

But I signed it officer and I have witnesses to prove it.

#88 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

I've been getting a bunch of "Logged from my Mobile Device" logs, which means they didn't bother to write anything.  >:(
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#89 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

I've been getting a bunch of "Logged from my Mobile Device" logs, which means they didn't bother to write anything.  >:(

Thus the reason for this thread.

#90 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

Thus the reason for this thread.

yea, but sometimes they *meant too* but the cruddy interface screwed them up. 

Actually, I am loving the use of c:geo to log in the field.
Posted Image

#91 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

...is there any wonder that due to the "success" of the activity that it brought about unintended consequences? 

It's pathetic at times. 

Throw down caches beget throw down logs.  People are new, they see garbage, they assume this is the sport, they throw down garbage.  It's the same with logs. 

We can bandy about the tired expression of "it's how they choose to play" but tell us seriously the game is the same now as even three years ago...five years ago...eight years ago....ten years ago.

Hitting your first 100 was a MILESTONE.  Now it's no biggie.  Just go hit a power trail and RACK 'EM UP.  Sitting in a car for hours hitting the SAME thing HOUR after HOUR must really be rewarding.  The Four Cache Loop has nothing on a power trail because you "only" get ONE smiley and a patch.  We'd trade 10000 caches for that hard earned patch any day and twice on Sunday.

At the rate of evolution of the sport, it's either going to become a total wasteland in three more years or something.... Ammo can in the woods?  You mean we have to get out of our car?!?  Writing up a cache page?  You mean there's supposed to be content there?  Swag?  What's that?

Creativity is shunted and blunted.

There's still a lot of people who put something called effort into things when it comes to Geocaching. But the oh-so-convenient mobile-device cachers, either because they don't know any better (which it's hard to argue against) or because of sheer instant gratification and carelessness for the "gimme now" mindset.

And to come onto a message board and dare say anything about it runs the risk of being a pariah and ugly individual(s) just because they care about a sport/activity/game.

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#92 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

OSC,
Go do Maxwell's Hammer Beginner Luck Series.
It might restore some of your faith in the game.

http://www.geocachin...56-762f34da36f3

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#93 Bennett Tribe

Bennett Tribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

...is there any wonder that due to the "success" of the activity that it brought about unintended consequences? 

It's pathetic at times. 

Throw down caches beget throw down logs.  People are new, they see garbage, they assume this is the sport, they throw down garbage.  It's the same with logs. 

We can bandy about the tired expression of "it's how they choose to play" but tell us seriously the game is the same now as even three years ago...five years ago...eight years ago....ten years ago.

Hitting your first 100 was a MILESTONE.  Now it's no biggie.  Just go hit a power trail and RACK 'EM UP.  Sitting in a car for hours hitting the SAME thing HOUR after HOUR must really be rewarding.  The Four Cache Loop has nothing on a power trail because you "only" get ONE smiley and a patch.  We'd trade 10000 caches for that hard earned patch any day and twice on Sunday.

At the rate of evolution of the sport, it's either going to become a total wasteland in three more years or something.... Ammo can in the woods?  You mean we have to get out of our car?!?  Writing up a cache page?  You mean there's supposed to be content there?  Swag?  What's that?

Creativity is shunted and blunted.

There's still a lot of people who put something called effort into things when it comes to Geocaching. But the oh-so-convenient mobile-device cachers, either because they don't know any better (which it's hard to argue against) or because of sheer instant gratification and carelessness for the "gimme now" mindset.

And to come onto a message board and dare say anything about it runs the risk of being a pariah and ugly individual(s) just because they care about a sport/activity/game.

Wow, quite  an indictment.  Don't you think most of this is due to not knowing any better?  I mean geocachers get so excited when they recruit a muggle into the game.  But how does the newbie know any different?  The internal drive to attract newbies is the reason you are seeing quality decline.  For instance, I'm a newbie.  I try to do my best, but I don't know everything yet.  How could I?  I read this page, and you guys are being critical on people for using mobile devices?  I use a mobile device.  Who cares?

As a new person reading this, it sounds pretty judgemental.  After all, you are referring to new people (me) as "They".  You have all of these "unwritten rules".  Maybe you could create a more exlusive club where nobody would fail to live up to your expecatations. 

By the way, why do you even care about how other people choose to play the game?  My first impression was that geocachers are extremely friendly. This is the first evidence I have seen that there is a undercurrent of resentment. 

#94 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I think Maxwell's Hammer BL series addresses this concern.
It's a choice really. You can choose to let it upset you airing your frustrations in some forum or do your best in changing the tide by placing a series like the BL series (40+ caches) to help beginners (which is a nicer way of saying newbie).
Each cache description and hint is informative. As well each container is creatively camo'd and uniquely hidden. I honestly can't say enough about the time and effort she has put into this series. It's truly great for beginners and far more productive than airing out feelings in an online forum.

You're right. It's not the same. In the grand scheme of things it's actually better on many levels. It's more accessible to a wider audience. Unfortunately that means us older seasoned cachers have to accept things like lamp post hides. I dislike them very much but I realize not everyone is physically or mentally capable of doing the other types that were traditionally hidden.

If I've learned anything from caching... The way someone plays the game (and even sometimes the way they post in an online forum) especially the newer folks does not provide sufficient data to judge their character.

jtbaddison's response is exactly why I try to discourage calling out cachers in the forums here. It's too close and too local. The kinds of people that are attracted to caching I've found are a different breed of folks. I think it's important to foster and encourage their participation despite how the newer ones are caching. They'll catch on soon enough. They're generally good people. People I like having around.

On the flip side. I'm all for free speech (with tact and civility). The offtopic board here requires 100 posts to get into and really that's the place these types of threads should be in... and if you really want to get crazy there is always big green where that kind of behavior is encouraged.

At the end of the day.. delivery and tone make or break your message.

:) and cache happy  ;D

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#95 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Don't you think most of this is due to not knowing any better?  I mean geocachers get so excited when they recruit a muggle into the game.  But how does the newbie know any different?  . . . I'm a newbie.  I try to do my best, but I don't know everything yet.  How could I?

What I did when I started was read logs written by experienced cachers.  Back then that meant people with 100+ finds.  Today it probably means 500+ caches.  These logs give you a feel for what's expected/reasonable. 

I read this page, and you guys are being critical on people for using mobile devices?  I use a mobile device.  Who cares?

I don't think anyone was criticizing the use of mobile devices.  The complaint was about not saying anything about the cache/find.  People who have gone to the trouble of creating and placing a cache would like some kind of comment about it.  Just saying "I'm logging it" is rude.  Now if it's a light pole cache maybe a TFTC is enough since little effort begets little effort.

By the way, why do you even care about how other people choose to play the game? 

Because all games have rules and one of the rules of caching is you're required to sign the log to claim the cache.  When someone says, "I saw it across the creek" and claims the find they aren't playing the game, and no one can verify they even did what they say. 

#96 Bennett Tribe

Bennett Tribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

I shouldn't have made that comment about starting your own club.  I'm sorry about that. 

#97 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

How do you make that little zipped mouth smilie? ::)

#98 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

You told me once that sometimes you don't even read all the found logs on your caches.  :police:

You guys are always getting your panties in a bunch about the silliest things.

#99 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

You guys are always getting your panties in a bunch about the silliest things.

There should be a smiley for that. 
Posted Image

#100 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

:-X ?? You mean this one?

Help me help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users