#41 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

I'm not sure I understood this one:

Logging FIND on archived GC.com cache for found Non-GC.com cache. 

It this the unusual condition where a cache not listed on GC.com has been placed where a listed cache once was.  And, someone logs the unlisted cache as though he had found the listed one?

I have another case for you.  This cache was missing for a while.  Then somebody planted a real Letterbox nearby (withing 20 or so feet) of where the listed cache once was.  Now, cachers are logging the Letterbox as a find for the cache.  And GC, at least in the form of Prime Reviewer, finds this acceptable.

NOTE:  I've mentioned this situation before.

I don't "get" that one either...like maybe people are finding a Terracache (isn't that "the other site"?) and logging a find on an archived cache to boost their number of finds on GC.com, the "official" site?

And what the heck is a "Pocket cache"? Obviously some of the items on this little graph refer to things that don't seem to be so epidemic these days...but I still thought it was pretty funny!  ;D

--Q

#42 Cachin Shark

Cachin Shark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Location77450, Katy Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

A cache without its container (muggled--all contents including logbook, swag, etc. dumped out and exposed)...I counted that as a find.

A cache, but the log was too wet...counted as found, though I'll try to put a new piece of paper in there.

Found some attachment method, like a lid, a screw, a string, Velcro...NOT a find. Didn't find a cache, just signs that one once might've been there. It's not Geo-stringing, after all.

Found where a cache should've been...NOT a find. Seriously, here's a log on a cache that we worked hard to get: "Going to post a find even though the space the cache was supposed to be was empty(we think) we will email a photo of the spot with us there. If owner says we are wrong. We will delete the find." C'mon now, you didn't find it! Log a DNF! You don't get a smiley for finding a good spot to put a cache!

Found nothing, but "worked for it"...NOT a find. Yes, I've see people claim a find with that criteria!

Throw-down finds... >:(  Okay, I know some people who do this think they're "helping," but I am totally against this practice.

If you can stand the tone over at the Groundspeak forums, they have a whole thread called, "Found It=Didn't find it," in "The Hunt / The Unusual" which makes for very entertaining reading.

I think the examples I've listed above are the "black or white" ones. I think there are some grey areas, too, like logging "extreme" caches if you didn't perform the physical challenge involved or solve the puzzle. Situations where I personally probably wouldn't log a find, but I would have no problem if someone else did it their way.

But to claim a find when you didn't in any way, shape, or form find a cache...that seems wrong to me.

I agree with all of that basically.... what is a "throw-down find" ?

#43 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

what is a "throw-down find" ?

I'm guessing it's when you think a cache is missing, so you replace it with one your brought with you then claim that as a find

#44 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

....And what the heck is a "Pocket cache"?...

A "pocket cache" is where someone brings their cache or cache log to an event (in their pocket) and let's you log it.  There was a lot of that going on at GeoWoodstock IV a few years ago -- sort of as an icebreaker.  Trouble was, folks were bringing their unique cache containers from home -- and home might be on another continent.  If you logged the cache it belonged to, it might show that you had found a cache in Timbuktu when you in fact hadn't been there.  When the reviewers got wind of it, they archived the caches and locked them.  It was a big stink.  I haven't heard of any of that kind of thing recently.

...Well, not counting Neal's "Picture This" cache.  It's sort of been grandfathered.  ::)
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#45 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

what is a "throw-down find" ?

I'm guessing it's when you think a cache is missing, so you replace it with one your brought with you then claim that as a find

Exactly. If that thread I mentioned from the GS forums is any indication, it's rampant in some areas / with some cachers.

Like, say I tried to find this really hard cache, like, oh...say it was called "ICTOACNOTLLSS," f'instance. And let's just say I couldn't find it. So, I just throw down a film canister and log a find, saying something like, "This one seems to be missing, so I replaced it."  >:D

Not a good idea, for so many reasons!

HC, thanks for that explanation of Pocket Caches. Now it makes sense...and yeah, it doesn't sound like a good idea, really.

--Q

#46 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Like, say I tried to find this really hard cache, like, oh...say it was called "ICTOACNOTLLSS," f'instance. And let's just say I couldn't find it. So, I just throw down a film canister and log a find, saying something like, "This one seems to be missing, so I replaced it."  >:D

Given the discussion here, wouldn't it just be better to say you saw where it should have been and log it as a find?
Posted Image

#47 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Given the discussion here, wouldn't it just be better to say you saw where it should have been and log it as a find?

Hey, yeah...!  O0

Or I could take a picture of where it should have been!  :notme:

--Q

#48 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

That'd might end up being evidence you were wrong.  Better my way.  ;)
Posted Image

#49 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

This is true! I see many more found caches in my future!  :2funny:

--Q

#50 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

You can just see where they are (or should be) on GoogleEarth.  No more going out and getting all hot and worrying about chiggers or poison ivy.  Come on folks, think outside of the box!  O0
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#51 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

You can just see where they are (or should be) on GoogleEarth.  No more going out and getting all hot and worrying about chiggers or poison ivy.  Come on folks, think outside of the box!  O0

Why go to GoogleEarth when you can just look at the maps on GC?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

You guys are funny  :D I'm starting to feel a little vain and thinking this thread might have turned about something I said.

If so, let me clarify.

I don't care how people play the game as long as it's played reasonably within the guidelines.
I'll cherish the honest ones and won't lose any sleep over the others. It's just a game. Why so serious?

:)

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#53 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

It's just a game. Why so serious?

Like football, baseball, socker, chess and the Olympics yet somehow people still get worked up about 'um. :angel:

#54 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

You guys are funny  :D I'm starting to feel a little vain and thinking this thread might have turned about something I said.

If so, let me clarify.

I don't care how people play the game as long as it's played reasonably within the guidelines.
I'll cherish the honest ones and won't lose any sleep over the others. It's just a game. Why so serious?

You better check your vanity bro. I am so the person that turned this thread around. I think.

#55 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

If so, let me clarify.

You better check your vanity bro. I am so the person that turned this thread around. I think.

Sorry, I rarely read your posts... since you've changed your avatar... I've been a fan since that one episode of Firefly and can't help myself.

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#56 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Now that just hurts.

#57 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

It's Christina Hendricks. I make no excuses and have no shame.  ;D

Help me help you.

#58 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

Unless the cache is special due to it's creative container then I'm fine with cachers at the very least provide proof they were there and saw or laid hands on the container.

If you had a terrain 4.5 cache thirty feet up in a tree, would it be alright with you for a person to log it by saying they saw it from the ground?

edited to fix the quote problem

Yes, that would be fine because I'm a nice guy and realize that not everyone can climb trees. :)

Well hell, now I gotta go and find all the caches that were in trees that Donna climbed to get for me.  Four maybe....  :D :2funny:

#59 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

How I play the game: I look for the cache, make the find, sign my name, read the history marker, enjoy a work of art in some neighborhood, while the neighbors are glaring at me, go into the woods to find an ammo can and finish that up with grocery shopping with pine needles on my shirt and hair wondering why the check out girl is giggling until I get home and realize *oh, that is what she was giggling at* and start pulling out the pine needles that make me look like Pocahantas.

Oh and it is very therapuetic for me and I really enjoy rolling up nano cache logs, unlike TFP.  I enjoy cussing while I am rolling up the nano logs, releives alot of stress and angst!!  O0

#60 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

Oh and it is very therapuetic for me and I really enjoy rolling up nano cache logs, unlike TFP.  I enjoy cussing while I am rolling up the nano logs, releives alot of stress and angst!!  O0

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users