194 replies to this topic

#21 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

well barbee then the guy that got the final soda tube trials shouldnt have gotten ftf before me since he didnt get the cache how it was designed to be gotten right?

#22 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

What I really want is a more obvious hint on "A Hard Mystery Cache".... >:D

Yea, I am thinking about just going ahead and logging it. I saw the gazebo, but couldn't sign the log is good enough for me.

#23 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

The minimum requirement is that there is a container and logbook. I don't think it's necessarily a requirement to sign the logbook . . .

From the gc.com guidelines:

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

I felt sure I'd seen that somewhere.

As PR has said before.. they're guidelines.. not rules..  ;)
img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#24 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

As PR has said before.. they're guidelines.. not rules..  ;)

Yeah, well . . .

That "guideline" goes on to say:

Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

Whacha wanna bet if you delete a log because the cacher didn't post a picture in the crazy hat it you will soon come to think of it as a rule?  :knuppel2:

#25 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Yea, I am thinking about just going ahead and logging it. I saw the gazebo, but couldn't sign the log is good enough for me.

Me too!
Posted Image

#26 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Yea, but that's a whole other bag of beans there in how those guidelines are interpreted and enforced.

Basically it's a choice of whether you want to be upset or not. After all it's just geocaching. That energy and angst could be directed at so many other worthy causes.

Help me help you.
Report obusive, offensive, and or objectionial message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Besides, it's good for you after all those buttery hot tortillas you've been porkin'

#27 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Me too!

I guess I'm gonna have to swap names on those two caches

#28 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

My personal belief as a CO is if the person obviously didn't find it in the nature it was intended, their log gets deleted.  I'll mail them first and let them know why it's getting deleted, then I do it.

Had a guy claim my light pole cache because "I got there, could see it, but couldn't climb up there and get it."

Well, I replied to the guy and said the nature of the Soda Tube Trials is to do the extra work to sign the log and that I had to delete his entry.  Deleted it and haven't heard from him since (actually, I forget who he is).

Not only did I see that cache up the pole from the boat I was in I hit it a couple of times with my pole.

Does that mean I can log it. I mean I didn't just see it.  >:D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Betty Draper

Betty Draper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

My personal belief as a CO is if the person obviously didn't find it in the nature it was intended, their log gets deleted.  I'll mail them first and let them know why it's getting deleted, then I do it.

Had a guy claim my light pole cache because "I got there, could see it, but couldn't climb up there and get it."

Well, I replied to the guy and said the nature of the Soda Tube Trials is to do the extra work to sign the log and that I had to delete his entry.  Deleted it and haven't heard from him since (actually, I forget who he is).

Not only did I see that cache up the pole from the boat I was in I hit it a couple of times with my pole.

Yea, well I swam/waded out there, climbed up the pole, touched it with my left hand before I fell off and had to be rushed to the emergency room, so if you are logging it so am I.
:)

#30 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Yea, well I swam/waded out there, climbed up the pole, touched it with my left hand before I fell off and had to be rushed to the emergency room, so if you are logging it so am I.

I saw both of you touch it, thus I know exactly where it is and what it looks like so I'm logging it too.

#31 Cachin Shark

Cachin Shark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Location77450, Katy Texas

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

I would agree with FamilieRyan. Before logging it i would contact the CO if I couldn't open the container. I know in the past we've seen the container and not been able to reach it so we haven't logged it, but in that case maybe a picture to prove you were actually there.... When it comes to seeing the tether I know for a fact we've seen a tether thought it was missing and then found out that it wasn't the cache.... you never know.......

#32 OneStepCloser

OneStepCloser

TeamOSC

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationHouston and Chicago

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

I saw both of you touch it, thus I know exactly where it is and what it looks like so I'm logging it too.

We're logging it because we saw a thread on it here....  ;D

Posted Image

Lead By Example.

Hide Great Caches in Great Locations!

Just Say NO to Cut-n-Paste!

Friends don't let friends mark coords with iPhones. Be kind, use a GPSr.

#33 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

Just go ahead and log ALL the Soda Tube Trial caches.  I mean, it's not like the CO is going to actually revisit the cache to check the signatures.  He "placed" most of them by just standing back and throwing them anyway!
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#34 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

:D

Help me help you.

#35 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

I log caches as finds if I put my hands on the container and attempt to sign the log.  I include unsuccessfully searching for a pen in my pocket, fanny pack or Camelbak as an attempt.  :D

If I am with a group, then all I feel I have to do is see the cache as long as someone is signing for the group.

#36 Nebulus703

Nebulus703

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHighlands/Baytown

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I have to sign it. Not no ifs, ands, or buts. So if I ever go for the rest of the Soda Tube Trials, which I intend on doing sometime in the future, I'm going to sign them. If I don't then it's not a success. Call me an overachiever but that's how I roll.

#37 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

A cache without its container (muggled--all contents including logbook, swag, etc. dumped out and exposed)...I counted that as a find.

A cache, but the log was too wet...counted as found, though I'll try to put a new piece of paper in there.

Found some attachment method, like a lid, a screw, a string, Velcro...NOT a find. Didn't find a cache, just signs that one once might've been there. It's not Geo-stringing, after all.

Found where a cache should've been...NOT a find. Seriously, here's a log on a cache that we worked hard to get: "Going to post a find even though the space the cache was supposed to be was empty(we think) we will email a photo of the spot with us there. If owner says we are wrong. We will delete the find." C'mon now, you didn't find it! Log a DNF! You don't get a smiley for finding a good spot to put a cache!

Found nothing, but "worked for it"...NOT a find. Yes, I've see people claim a find with that criteria!

Throw-down finds... >:(  Okay, I know some people who do this think they're "helping," but I am totally against this practice.

If you can stand the tone over at the Groundspeak forums, they have a whole thread called, "Found It=Didn't find it," in "The Hunt / The Unusual" which makes for very entertaining reading.

I think the examples I've listed above are the "black or white" ones. I think there are some grey areas, too, like logging "extreme" caches if you didn't perform the physical challenge involved or solve the puzzle. Situations where I personally probably wouldn't log a find, but I would have no problem if someone else did it their way.

But to claim a find when you didn't in any way, shape, or form find a cache...that seems wrong to me.

Here, this might help:

Posted Image

--Q

#38 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

I'm not sure I understood this one:

Logging FIND on archived GC.com cache for found Non-GC.com cache. 

It this the unusual condition where a cache not listed on GC.com has been placed where a listed cache once was.  And, someone logs the unlisted cache as though he had found the listed one?

I have another case for you.  This cache was missing for a while.  Then somebody planted a real Letterbox nearby (withing 20 or so feet) of where the listed cache once was.  Now, cachers are logging the Letterbox as a find for the cache.  And GC, at least in the form of Prime Reviewer, finds this acceptable.

NOTE:  I've mentioned this situation before.

#39 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

You can see this on the logs for the one in Memorial Park where people find the letterbox and not the cache, but are logging the cache as found.
Posted Image

#40 WTT-B2

WTT-B2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationDayton, TX

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Just go ahead and log ALL the Soda Tube Trial caches.  I mean, it's not like the CO is going to actually revisit the cache to check the signatures.  He "placed" most of them by just standing back and throwing them anyway!

If that's the case then AB owes me $100 as I was the first to see them all in one day....show me the money !!! yep saw them all ..  I did I did

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users