30 replies to this topic

#21 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

I've never run across the hybrid only parking signs.  I'm sure they will get under my skin as much as the parking spaces for pregnant women.

My local Bank of America branch has a hybrid/alt fuel reserved space next to the handicap zone.  How PC to differentiate your customers by the kind of car they drive.

#22 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

The only type of reserved space that can legally be enforced is the handicapped spot. Any other spot is the local business trying to make people "feel good"
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Slightly off-topic -- I've always wondered about the signs in front of businesses in a strip center saying "Parking for XYZ Customers Only".  I mean, when they lease the building space for their business, does it legally include the parking spots in front of the business?  Or (as I believe), are all the parking spots in the lot "common area" for the entire strip center?  My guess is they put up the signs hoping to intimidate folks into not parking there unless they're visiting that business, but they have no legal backing.

I just don't want to pay a towing fee to find out if I'm right... :-\
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#24 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Many times the lease guarantees a certain number of spaces for that tenant.  They would have control (i.e., to tow) over thoses spaces.
Posted Image

#25 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

AFAIK, businesses can reserve spaces for who ever they want and as long as they post a notice, they can tow.  Its private property and they should be able to use it as they see fit.  If they can lease out preferred spaces, that is just fine, just like they can reserve spaces only for customers and exclude people going to other establishments.

BofA can put up whatever signs they want, and even enforce them if they see fit, but the "feel good" part of segregating customers based on their choice of auto eludes me.  Particularly when it is not rational.  Flex fuel vehicles actually use more fossil fuels than similar conventionally fueled vehicles and some small conventional cars are more efficient than hybrids. 

#26 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Many times the lease guarantees a certain number of spaces for that tenant.  They would have control (i.e., to tow) over thoses spaces.

I'll take your word for it.  :-\

#27 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

I'll take your word for it.  :-\

Don't you have firsthand experience with this?  :2funny: :2funny:
Posted Image

#28 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Don't you have firsthand experience with this?  :2funny: :2funny:

Very funny.  I was referring to individual parking spaces in a strip mall occupied by several businesses, NOT a poorly marked KFC parking lot adjacent to a motel in Tennessee.  :(

#29 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

he he he.  Sorry, HC.  Couldn't help myself.  Yes, it is private property and yes, they can earmark spaces for specific businesses.  And the businesses can control them.
Posted Image

#30 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

This would make for a most excellent practical joke...  >:D

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#31 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,751 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

SO if the parking spot is reserved for a retail space what do you do if you are visiting multiple businesses in the same shopping center?  Do you re-park the car? How do they know the intent of the shopper?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users